•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By karlt
Membership Days
Abernathy wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:45 pm
And what the fuck is a statement ruffle?
Isn't it a move in Mornington Crescent which allows you to exchange one of each colour chip in play to bring a line out of Spoon?
Abernathy, Oblomov liked this
So last years Cambridge University ball shenanigans revolved very much around the students getting drunk after an all nighter. Naturally the Mailites were not impressed by such debauchery and here are some of the top rated comments:

2018:
Investorcharlie, Brighton, United Kingdom, 12 months ago
Learners of today. Leaders of tomorrow. God help us all
+883 -70
Picadilly, Stokeontrent, United Kingdom, 12 months ago
They will regret this when they are trying to get jobs and photos found on the internet.
+510 -45
bosscal1, Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, 12 months ago
And this are our next generation! Stop the planet I want to get off
+395 -55
Marshian, Romney Marsh, 12 months ago
It seems that any semblance of class has departed even our TOP universities now!
+302 -29

This year it's being portrayed as a more sober affair:

Yoga at dawn for Generation Sober: Cambridge students wend their way home at dawn after celebrating the end of their exams in a style that puts their hedonistic parents to shame
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -Ball.html

That's more like it. Surely the Mailites will approve of this more reserved behaviour, right?

YeahOKwhatever69, Midlands, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
Give me the 90s everytime over this snowflake time
+140 -44
anonona, london, United Kingdom, 2 hours ago
Generation boring is more like it
+93 -30

To be fair, a few of them, including this guy from Texas, has got the measure of the fucking miserable Malites:

Texanpete, Dallas Texas, United States, 1 hour ago
Y'all complain when they party too hard and then complain when they don't - you Brits do anything else apart from complain?!
+57 -7
Boiler wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:23 pm
Whilst no doubt completely ignoring the coked-up privileged cunts from Eton and Oxford now vying to run the fucking country.
AKA The Bullington Wankers.
Yesterday the Mailites were sneering at the "boring snowflakes" for not getting drunk. So the Mail have rerun it and this time they've gone with a different angle. The 'drunk students' angle.

School's out! Cambridge students celebrate the end of their exams with fireworks, a five-course feast and champagne reception at £345-a-ticket May Ball
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -Ball.html
Well-heeled students donned their finery as they stumbled through Cambridge

uk_jokeoftheplanet, sheffield, United Kingdom, 1 hour ago
Women draping themselves all over men . These are the feminist writers and whining women of the future complaining that it's a mans world.
+100 -16
Reluctantgardner, Town Called Malice, United Kingdom, 1 hour ago
Classy ladies, right up to the point they have two glasses of champagne on a an empty head
+42 -8
anonnymouse sinick, stretford and carlisle, United Kingdom, 42 minutes ago
Spend, spend, spend!! Then after the 'gap year' to India, Bali, Australia, New Zealand, South America, the Stars and Canada!!! They'll be back whingeing that they can't afford to buy a house and it's all somebody else's fault - usually a 'Boomer'??
+40 -11
Alex_08943, Atlantis, United Kingdom, 29 minutes ago
Frightening to think that many of these young people will end up running our country in some sort of capacity.
+24 -14
Unlike any of the above, the festive young people have all passed a tough entry exam and are pursuing level 6 or 7 qualifications.
oboogie, Andy McDandy liked this

By Oblomov
Not to mention the miserable Mailites would switch places with the festive young people in a heartbeat if they could.

By oboogie
Membership Days Posts
Of course students never got lashed up at the end term in the past. Ever.
When I lived in Oxford (late 80s) I knew a man who'd been a student there in the 1930s, (he was a contemporary of Ted Heath and Denis Healey and knew them both). He was scathing of modern students' celebrations as they were so tame compared to his day. He used to entertain with tales of drunken skinny dipping at Parson's Pleasure and placing chamber pots on lightning conductors and then attempting to shoot them down with his father's WW1 service revolver.
All thoroughly reckless of course (not to mention bloody dangerous), but I suspect the Mailtards would forgive him because, shortly afterwards, he commanded a tank squadron in North Africa and Normandy and was so reckless and dangerous he was awarded an MC for his efforts.
Yes, a quick read of Evelyn Waugh backs that up. Rugger buggers debagging sensitives and throwing them in the fountains.

I think it's in the Meaning of Liff, an entry that is "the suspicion that somewhere, someone else is having a good time".
oboogie, Oblomov liked this
Oblomov wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:49 pm
Not to mention the miserable Mailites would switch places with the festive young people in a heartbeat if they could.
They also prove extremely keen to vote for the small proportion that appear on ballot papers.

By cycloon
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:06 pm
Yes, a quick read of Evelyn Waugh backs that up. Rugger buggers debagging sensitives and throwing them in the fountains.

I think it's in the Meaning of Liff, an entry that is "the suspicion that somewhere, someone else is having a good time".
Isaiah Berlin talked, IIRC, of hiding an aesthete in a cupboard, to protect him from a gang of 'hearties' who wanted to beat him up.

But they all talked posh, so, y'know.
It's the annual Glasto sneer fest!

The bands strike up! First Glastonbury acts take to the stage as revellers are given free sun tan lotion to cope with sweltering 84F at 'hottest ever' festival
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -role.html

Greeniej, Tent, United Kingdom, 7 hours ago
Rapper headlines Glastonbury. Where are the musicians?
+614 -60
Reality hurts, Worcester, United Kingdom, 7 hours ago
Stormzy is just an angry, talentless fool shouting into a microphone, grime is not music.
+548 -79
Sable77, Surrey, United Kingdom, 7 hours ago
Brainwashed by left wing politics. What sort of example is Stormzy?
+429 -58
Mr Spag Bol, Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom, 7 hours ago
I'd rather listen to a cat being sick than have to endure a nauseating lecture from a rap person, originally called Michael.
+406 -35
Blunt Crunt, In the shed next to the mower, United Kingdom, 6 hours ago
The lineup is the biggest bag of old sh ite ever this year.
290 -15

And that's me off for a couple of weeks to the Spanish sunshine. Luckily it looks like those of you who aren't going away will still be getting some lovely weather so get out and enjoy. Take care Mailwatchers!
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

That stat about Norfolk would have been a damned s[…]

Labour, Generally.

I'm currently sitting in a composite meeting on […]

Boris Johnson

porking on the public purse Now there's a tu[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

How's Milne operating him in that photo? Liza[…]