•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
I could probably have expressed that better.
Not knowing how a foreign word is pronounced doesn't mean that it is hard to pronounce. I don't know enough Welsh to even attempt to say that word. But if written phonetically, I'm sure that it would be easy enough to pronounce.

By Killer Whale
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Old Carlo does speak a bit of Welsh, albeit with a rather unsuitable posh English accent, so I doubt that llongyfarchiadau would be a problem for him.

llon - gervarch - ee-ad-eye if you'd like to play along at home. (ll and ch pronounced as the single Welsh letters, of course).

By Daley Mayle
My father in law, a born and bred Llanelli-ite (sorry Killer) taught me a phrase to shout in Welsh whenever England scored against Wales in rugby. He said it was a triumphant cheer. Some years later and after he had died my wife pointed out that I was saying, loosely translated, 'A big shit on the English people'. Only the Welsh don't call us English, they call us Saith, or Saxons. Long memories, the Welsh.

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
Now give US home rule, demand English MPs: Tories and Lib Dems set to force vote on the issue once powers are handed to Scotland
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tland.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm pretty sure we already gave the US home rule, on July 4th 1776

By Killer Whale
Timbo wrote:Now give US home rule, demand English MPs: Tories and Lib Dems set to force vote on the issue once powers are handed to Scotland
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tland.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm pretty sure we already gave the US home rule, on July 4th 1776
Helo! Yni yma o hyd! Unrhywun?

By Timbo
Membership Days Posts
On the Wales thing, I don't see the north buying into much more autonomy. Our economic interests are tied in much more with the Wirral and north-west England than to Cardiff. Don't know what the general perception is for you folks in the hinterlands.

By Killer Whale
Timbo wrote:On the Wales thing, I don't see the north buying into much more autonomy. Our economic interests are tied in much more with the Wirral and north-west England than to Cardiff. Don't know what the general perception is for you folks in the hinterlands.
If you're satisfied with crumbs that fall off the English table...

I think that story is very instructive. We're invisible, so far off the periphery that no-one even has to pretend that we're here. All we can ever expect is crumbs until we learn again to build our own table and fill it with our own produce.
By BillyBoomhauser
Hi all, new here but been lurking for a while.

Headline:
Why is Next hiring thousands of cheap Eastern European workers to staff English warehouse - in area where more than 200,000 are on the dole - before they even advertise the jobs here?
Article:
It advertised the jobs in Britain on November 19 and says 100 jobs are still up for grabs at South Elmsall.
A spokesman told Mailonline today: 'We simply can't recruit enough people locally.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -dole.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Cerebral palsy boy, 12, couldn't see movie about 'world's greatest disabled man' Stephen Hawking because there was no wheelchair access to screening
Since the incident Odeon have contacted Ms Kelly and offered her free tickets to a showing this Friday, but Ms Kelly said they won't be returning to the cinema.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3PMwhkXWj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Daley Mayle
Para 19
'Odeon Harrogate is inside a listed building, so we are unfortunately unable to change its layout to add wheelchair access to the two screens that currently don't have it.

'We therefore try to rotate weekly the films we show in the three screens that do have access for people with disabilities, to ensure a full range of films is available.

'The Theory of Everything was shown in a screen with wheelchair access during the week of January 9 - 15 and we'll be showing it again in a wheelchair-accessible screen for another week from this Friday January 23.

'On the weekend of the January 17-18, newer release films American Sniper, Into the Woods and Taken 3 were shown in the screens with access for people with disabilities, to ensure a variety of films are on offer.
By Andy McDandy
DDA and the Equalities Act (which superseded it) say that 'reasonable adjustment' should be made to buildings to ensure access. Problem is, with listed buildings, the provision of lifts etc can be ruinously expensive (and not always allowed). Having been in the same position as the cinema owners, I appreciate they were trying for a reasonable compromise.
By croissantfever
Membership Days
A lot of Odeons seem to be in listed buildings. I used to work in one as well. It had about 15 steps up to the foyer so the disabled access was through the fire escape to screen 4. In this odeon, screen 1 and 4 used to be one big screen, built with a circle and stalls, until it was converted in the 50s to become 2, Screen one up the stairs in the circle, and screen 4, downstairs in the stalls. Screens 2 and 3 were smaller and on the same level as screen 4. Screen 1 had no disabled access, but 2,3 and 4 did. This was unfortunate, however, if somebody in a wheelchair wanted to see a film in screen 2 or 3, at the same time as one was showing in 4. They had to be guided through the dark auditorium, whilst a film was showing. Nobody liked the arrangement.

Incidentally, it's the Odeon Weston-super-Mare. Grade 2 listed and the only surviving Odeon designed by Thomas Howitt. It also contains one of only 2 working theatre organs in the country. The other is the Odeon Leicester Square. They had organ recitals every month. Nobody liked working the organ recital days.

It's also haunted.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Father mysteriously develops a love of cycling after receiving a heart transplant from a bike enthusiast
A father whose life was saved by a heart transplanted from a keen cyclist awoke to find he had a passion for the sport too
It's a miracle! Oh....
However, after his successful operation, doctors told Mr Mashford his new heart came from a man named John – an avid cyclist who was killed in a collision with a car while out riding.
Seven days after his 13-hour operation he asked physiotherapists to bring an exercise bike into his room and cycled seven minutes every day for a week
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z3QuS8dEBe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Trump Presidency

It's all o.k, kids - he's been sent by God... […]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Petition to CANCEL Brexit soars past three milli[…]

Technical Support Issues - Post here

To create a persistent login, click where it sug[…]

The Sun

Hypocritical shits, again. 'Best of British', inni[…]