For all other Mail-related topics
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Football player* = "Ace"

*normally in the context of doing some charity work in the area or being linked with the local club in the paper reporting the story
And in the course of any story concerning England or Manchester United, there will be a pun on the name of Wayne Rooney. It's convenient that his surname can be shortened so neatly, so we can be treated to 'It had to be Roo', 'We can Roo it', 'Roo's the daddy?', 'Roo-nited win the cup' etc.
Andy McDandy wrote:And in the course of any story concerning England or Manchester United, there will be a pun on the name of Wayne Rooney. It's convenient that his surname can be shortened so neatly, so we can be treated to 'It had to be Roo', 'We can Roo it', 'Roo's the daddy?', 'Roo-nited win the cup' etc.
Yes...that one is a quintessential example of what this thread's about. No real person outside of a tabloid newspaper has ever called him "Roo" - fact.
Homos are still 'raving' like it's 1989, I see. Shouldn't we be dubstepping* by now?

(*newer crazes may be available, but I don't know what they are. Obviously.)

This morning on the radio, according to some analyst, the economy was emerging from the recession more 'lean' and 'vigorous' than ever, 'boosted' by something or other, preparing to move 'up a gear', which means it's 'all systems go'. Honestly, the laddie might have just drawn us a giant cock and balls, and we'd have got the message. (Admittedly, radio isn't the ideal medium for this.)
Another of my pet hates is "hit the ground running". In my experience, what happens if you try to hit the ground running is that you fall flat on your face.
Or, in my one experience of this, leaping from the platform of a moving bus aged 11, you run headlong into a lamp post causing contusions and slight concussion.
Standard obituary/gossip column material:

Confirmed bachelor - gay
He never married - gay
Well turned out - gay
Didn't suffer fools gladly - thug
Ladies man - lucky he never got arrested
Fun loving - pissed
Regular on the party circuit - buried in a Y-shaped coffin
Exuberant - off their tits
TV Ads that make me Choleric and Violent

Don't forget funeral-costs assurance.

The Observer is shit