For all other Mail-related topics
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... moirs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Mail is serialising the scorned former first lady's 'memoirs' revealing what a cad and bounder Francois Hollande is.

For those of you who are frequent visitors to France I'd be interested to know how this publication is going down. Even in this country this kind of tittle-tattle from a PM's wife would be considered tacky and vulgar. Mdme Trierweiler won't be getting any Pulizer Prizes for her dull copy either.

Not only is Hollande not fit to lick Valerie's shoes
One day, I mentioned I’d bumped into Cecilia — the former wife of Nicolas Sarkozy — at a grand dinner, and that in front of Bill Clinton she’d told me: ‘Without you, Hollande would never have been elected.’
FranCois froze. His reply was scathing: ‘If it makes you happy to believe that you had something to do with it . . .’
I kept my cool: ‘Some people think so, at any rate, even though it embarrasses you.’
He is also a dull philistine not even interested in Valerie's literary brilliance
Meanwhile, outside politics, Francois was interested in nothing. Nothing and no one. He wasn’t interested in literature and just as indifferent to theatre and music. He never read a single one of the book reviews I wrote for Paris-Match.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... Putin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
youngian wrote:
Meanwhile, outside politics, Francois was interested in nothing. Nothing and no one. He wasn’t interested in literature and just as indifferent to theatre and music. He never read a single one of the book reviews I wrote for Paris-Match.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... Putin.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The reason behind this memoir is living proof that he had plenty of interests albeit not particularly highbrow ones.
I'm put in mind of an incident in Mussolini's career, when he was to appear on a balcony in front of an enthusiastic crowd to talk about Fiume, or draining the Pontine Marshes or something.

He was half an hour late (the crowd waiting impatiently) because he was shagging his secretary in the office beyond the balcony. Energetically, for that was his way.

This was unofficially leaked ('scuse me) to the crowd, who approved to a man (this was Fascist Italy, women knew their place) and his popularity increased even further.

So I don't imagine the revelation that François was making la bête de deux dos with two good looking and intelligent woman in the same time frame has done him much harm with les français. Les françaises, not so much.
That would be a great alternative to the Pope/bear meme about stating of the fucking obvious. For instance:

Bloke standing in the railway station looking at his watch: Tsk. The 8.15 to Waterloo is late again!
Wag: Was Mussolini shagging the signalman?
I have also heard the same said of Margaret Thatcher, but I expect that's different somehow.
I don't read for pleasure because I'm a busy, practical person.

You don't read for pleasure because you're a busy, practical person.

They don't read because they're a bunch of thick barbarians.
Jan Moir

La Moir's article has to be a strong contender for[…]

The new leader of the Labour Party

I think Starmer's very wise to keep his powder[…]

Sundry far-right groups and parties.

Younger than me. Not by much, but Dahl's maxim hol[…]

Labour, Generally.

Wow! Everybody's wrong. It's the *Tories* that cau[…]