Topics about a single subject's Daily Mail experience
:sunglasses: 50 % :grinning: 50 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Washing machines. Printers. TV remote controls. Suddenly everything’s got so damn complicated: Why do ‘smart’ gadgets make us feel so stupid?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... tupid.html

ODOC GIDDY UP, Burneyville, United States, 9 hours ago
I just turned 50 and I seems like I don't understand how to work anything that uses electrical power
+83 -1
Old Jimbo, Worcester, United Kingdom, 9 hours ago
Having read that "smart" electronic devices not only spy on you but can also be hacked into I deliberately avoid buying anything "smart"
+71 -2
Janet, Boston, 9 hours ago
You can still get simple versions of all those electronics for those smart enough to want them. The AI versions are only for those who don't mind giving up all their privacy and all control over their lives, and they're suckers to boot because they're actually paying a premium to do so.
+56 -4
musicalady, Edmonton, 9 hours ago
I just bought my first brand new car and I have no idea about all the controls on offer. I don't want them. I have a sun roof and I have totally no idea how to open it. I have tried to sit and read the manual, but it's just so boring. I honestly just want simple stuff. And remotes for TV? Dear Lord, the telly in our basement involves so much to get it to go from tv to Wifi, when I want Netflix, and I just give up. I turn it on, and whatever is on - Wifi or TV, I just stick with that for the night.
+55 -3

The comment for Old Jimbo actually made me feel a bit sad. It reminds of a Youtube clip of someone giving a presentation of the Daily Mail, using his old man as an example - who is absolutely terrified of urban foxes after reading about them in the Daily Mail so keeps all his doors and windows closed during the height of summer.
A few years ago, around the time the first 3G phones came out, a guy came into the library I was working in with an iPhone asking how to get funny ringtones on it. A few years earlier, when we ran internet for beginners courses, we'd have people coming in wanting to do one very specific thing with a computer (such as booking holidays or doing food shopping) which sat at odds with the structure of the sessions. When we said to people "you can do whatever you like with this", they'd titter nervously and press keys or mouse buttons as if to do so was either enormously amusing or utterly terrifying. Or both. And these were people of all ages, all backgrounds.

To a degree I get it. People want to carry out simple tasks and find the sheer range of functions on modern devices distracting. But there are still the basic versions out there. This appears to be little more than a sneer at those metropolitan elites with their fancy ways and long words, making it complicated for the plain speaking people in the middle.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
Tired of slow internet? Here's how to get up to speed with the best and fastest fibre broadband deals
Woefully slow broadband is the bane of many households. A recent report from consumer group Which? identified 11 local authorities where broadband speeds do not reach a proposed legal minimum of ten megabits per second.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bill ... z4mLBFup1E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The media's response to any changes to the way we live our lives is really tiresome. It reminds me of when Brown introduced a lower tax levy on unleaded fuel to encourage take up and reduce pollution from lead in exhaust fumes. A good thing, yes? Oh no. The media's response was to sneer at such an initiative and gleefully pointed out that unleaded fuel was only available in a minority of petrol stations and, anyway, it will probably blow up engines that would need to be converted.
And they always fall back on "How will older people be able to cope?". Unleaded fuel has been a thing since the late 1980s, and I challenge you even 10 years ago to find a filling station with more than one token LPG pump.
It wasn't necessary to convert old engines to run on unleaded. The only effect that it could have was recession of the exhaust valve seat, and that was only with hard usage, if an engine had done a lot of miles on leaded 4 star the lead residue would keep the cushioning effect, and a (lead free) additive to compensate was quickly brought out by Redex at £3.99 a bottle.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
So how on earth are we going to power nine million electric cars, asks ALEX BRUMMER

Call me old fashioned but isn't it your job to find out?

A salesman told me that if I was interested in buying it and wanted to avoid the slow process of recharging the car overnight using my domestic electricity supply, he could install a more powerful charger on my driveway for free. I had never realised that owning an electric car involved such a daily palaver. So, put off by the idea of having to plug in the car every night and the potential for overloading our house’s electric circuits, I did not proceed any further. Instead, I went back down the traditional fossil fuel route. I did so reluctantly, considering that petrol, and particularly diesel, engines clearly produce polluting and lethally noxious fumes.
Yes its like having a petrol station on your drive. Brummer is the City correspondent couldn't he do any better than a pub bore moan?
There was a really desperate and depressing take by BBC Breakfast a couple of years ago about electric cars and their inherent long-distance distance limitations, battery recharge time and a lack of power points. So what did they do? They decided to set an electric car a challenge on how long it would take to get from London to Scotland. It took days instead of hours, cue lots of Smirking on the Sofa at this silly leccy car idea.
Electric vehicles are new to anything but short range, short distance work. The only electric vehicles which have been used in any quantity were electric milk floats, which were intended for local milk deliveries in the morning, after which they returned to the depot and could spend the rest of the day on charge.

Electric buses were tried, of two types, trolleybuses, which had overhead wiring, doing away with the need for charging, but the overhead was complicated as it had to have two separate wires, a live pick up and an earth. Trains and trams only need one, as the track acts as the earth. The other type, which were experimented with were battery powered ones, Selnec PTE in Manchester tried one called the Seddon Chloride Silent Rider in the early 70s, it was tried on a route from Manchester to Stockport on peak hour services then went back to Hyde Road depot to be recharged during the day.

As the infrastructure to support the vehicles use on longer runs expands, ie more charging facilities, this disadvantage will die out
The Northern Irish thread

https://twitter.com/wee_baldy_ian/status/116487823[…]

Sad Faces in Local Papers

I am genuinely really quite disappointed to Harare[…]

Something I was pondering; to take the Brexit li[…]

The Sun

The Sun published a poll yesterday ... A ti[…]