•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
That's a shitty, shitty bit of writing.

I think for the most part, he's comparing it to things it doesn't really bear comparison with, in order to reach the word count and desired effect. Contrasting a new character you've seen for an hour with older, established ones, possibly polished up by the nostalgia filter is a bit of a cunt's trick. Plus, anyone finding Daenarys (or more specifically, Emilia Clarke's performance in GoT) a high point of female charisma in modern telly wants their bumps feeling.

Not having had much exposure to the good Doctor as a youngster, I'm fairly ambivalent to it. I think it's quite something that the Beeb are still prepared to throw big weight behind fictional, family oriented, "event TV" in this day and age, though. It is a shame they're not a little braver with a premise that would genuinely allow them to do anything they wanted.

By KevS
Think there could well be mileage in the theory that it was written a week or two ago - he mentions that you don't hear the theme tune. So I must have imagined this playing under the credits then.

By cycloon
MisterMuncher wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:38 pm
That's a shitty, shitty bit of writing.

I think for the most part, he's comparing it to things it doesn't really bear comparison with, in order to reach the word count and desired effect. Contrasting a new character you've seen for an hour with older, established ones, possibly polished up by the nostalgia filter is a bit of a cunt's trick. Plus, anyone finding Daenarys (or more specifically, Emilia Clarke's performance in GoT) a high point of female charisma in modern telly wants their bumps feeling.

Not having had much exposure to the good Doctor as a youngster, I'm fairly ambivalent to it. I think it's quite something that the Beeb are still prepared to throw big weight behind fictional, family oriented, "event TV" in this day and age, though. It is a shame they're not a little braver with a premise that would genuinely allow them to do anything they wanted.
I don't like to fixate on one actor over another for any reason, but Emilia Clarke sadly cannot help but spring to the top of my mind anytime I think of bad acting. Have you seen Terminator Genisys? It's an atrocious film, sure, but she leads the charge.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
KevS wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:15 pm

Refreshingly, the Mailites seem to agree she was ace as well, though.

They do on the comments section of that article.

Then under this article:

'She has the energy of 10, the optimism of 11 and the sass of 12': Doctor Who fans gush over 'amazing' Jodie Whittaker as she makes her debut as the first female Time Lord
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... -Lord.html

BrexitNow, England, United Kingdom, 14 hours ago
That was bloomin' awful...from the atrocious scripting to the annoying Whittaker. The BBC have destroyed yet another once great programme in their relentless PC and political agenda. Goodbye Doctor Who.
+2081 -901
stigg22, manchester, United Kingdom, 14 hours ago
Hahaha DM just changed it's story and opinion ! The show was dross , a total rip off of predator , terrible script , terrible acting and Jodie was so unconvincing as the doctor .... but at least the BBC managed to tick every single one of its boxes .... tripe !
+1594 -457
SidtheSexist, Vizcastle, 14 hours ago
It stank. It was the worst writing since the reboot.
+1255 -412
Liane, East Grinstead, 14 hours ago
It was bloody awful. And my nieces aged 12 and 8 thought it was 'pants' and 'not the real Doctor Who'.
+1176 -347
Mr Goosecreature., Manchester, United Kingdom, 14 hours ago
Jeez have you seen how many people of colour are in next week's episode? Totally unproportional.
+612 -161

Hmmm. Odd. :?

By Boiler
KevS wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:26 am
Think there could well be mileage in the theory that it was written a week or two ago - he mentions that you don't hear the theme tune. So I must have imagined this playing under the credits then.

You didn't hear it in the opening, except for a few beats. But yes, it was there in the closing titles.

What bugged me FAR more was clearly hearing Ms. Whittaker say "could OF". Not "could have."

Has this become acceptable English now?

By Bones McCoy
Boiler wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:38 am
KevS wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:26 am

You didn't hear it in the opening, except for a few beats. But yes, it was there in the closing titles.

What bugged me FAR more was clearly hearing Ms. Whittaker say "could OF". Not "could have."

Has this become acceptable English now?
If Moffatt was still at the helm; "Could of" would have been a tiny clue.
In the episoide prior to Christmas, the "could of Doctor" would be shot in the face by a Dalek, and then be revealed to be an auton replicant.
Then the cast of Little Britain would show up with the real Doctor..

While I'm here, Telegraph comments are remarkable.
The first two pages were all moaning about PC extremism, PC before the watershed, and the always refreshing "PC gone mad".
lambswool liked this

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Fan backlash = a few people the author quoted on twitter.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -show.html
She's won acclaim and record ratings as the first female Doctor Who.

But for some viewers, Jodie Whittaker’s debut series as the Time Lord has become a tiresome ordeal of political correctness.

What was once a determinedly far-fetched fantasy drama populated by Daleks and Cybermen has become a platform for social justice issues, complete with a racially diverse cast, they say.

By KevS
Well, quite. Last weeks episode has had near universal acclaim, and viewing figures are the highest since David Tennant's tenure.

Problem is that there is still the type of fan who is getting in a strop because they want to see the Doctor meet the Xodid race from the planet Odjuh or something, and are getting upset because the tone of the show has changed.

But, er, that's the whole ruddy point of the show. Every time there's a regeneration, the actor changes, the titles and theme music changes, the show changes tack, and in recent years, the Tardis changes the interior. It feels like a new show.

That way, the show can adapt and change, and not still be the same as it was in 1963. Although that might be why the Mailites can't relate to it...
randomelement liked this

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
KevS wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:34 pm
Well, quite. Last weeks episode has had near universal acclaim, and viewing figures are the highest since David Tennant's tenure.

Problem is that there is still the type of fan who is getting in a strop because they want to see the Doctor meet the Xodid race from the planet Odjuh or something, and are getting upset because the tone of the show has changed.

But, er, that's the whole ruddy point of the show. Every time there's a regeneration, the actor changes, the titles and theme music changes, the show changes tack, and in recent years, the Tardis changes the interior. It feels like a new show.

That way, the show can adapt and change, and not still be the same as it was in 1963. Although that might be why the Mailites can't relate to it...
Of course they will be fans who don't like the show but in recent years there's been an element of fans who whinge about PC gone mad, virtue signalling.

By Abernathy
I've had no time for the kids' programme for years, but there is no doubt that with the changes to this series it has improved beyond measure.

Watched the Rosa Parks episode last week and thought it quite engaging, and this week there is basically Donald Trump, whose callous greed and villainly has led to Sheffield becoming overrun with giant spiders.

Great fun.

By Boiler
MisterMuncher wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:43 pm
Christ. Isn't it pretty well understood that most sci-fi is allegory for the zeitgeist, or the author's own philosophies?
If you watched some of the Pertwee episodes in the early 1970s, it positively shouted it at you.

By cycloon
MisterMuncher wrote:
Christ. Isn't it pretty well understood that most sci-fi is allegory for the zeitgeist, or the author's own philosophies?
Of course, but let's never forget too many people hate being made to feel uncomfortable, let alone being made to ask why it makes them feel uncomfortable.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:00 pm
MisterMuncher wrote:
If you watched some of the Pertwee episodes in the early 1970s, it positively shouted it at you.
Also some of the McCoy from the late 1980s.
The Tories, Generally

He needs to lose the whip. https://twitter.com/Wr[…]

Rishi Sunak

More proposed relocation. I live right by the Her[…]

"Boris" Johnson

All of those nurses've sent their mates to Boris' […]

Blue Labour

Yeah, Paul. It's only racism if you're barred from[…]