Topics about a single subject's Daily Mail experience
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Our bins alternate: 1 week recycling, 1 week waste.

OH THE HORROR. THE PAIN.

'Stiff upper lip' my arse.

In other news: how can recycling be possibly seen as a bad thing? Why aren't they angry at the lack of recycling (if the story is true)? Why are they more angry at 'EUSSR' and all that rot?
It's seen as bad because it's something people are being told to do.

As for the EUSSR stuff, it's about shifting the blame. Blame it on 'them', over 'there'.
cycloon wrote:Our bins alternate: 1 week recycling, 1 week waste.

OH THE HORROR. THE PAIN.

In other news: how can recycling be possibly seen as a bad thing? Why aren't they angry at the lack of recycling (if the story is true)? Why are they more angry at 'EUSSR' and all that rot?
They don't like recycling. It's all a bit leftie, and besides, we never had to worry about it in my day.
davidjay wrote:
cycloon wrote:Our bins alternate: 1 week recycling, 1 week waste.

OH THE HORROR. THE PAIN.

They don't like recycling. It's all a bit leftie, and besides, we never had to worry about it in my day.
Apart from getting the thruppences back from the lemonade bottles.

DM readers (and sadly many more) aren't in favour of recycling because there's no immediate and obvious benefit to them. It's the same mentality that wants to be able to park sideways in the high street.
The city where bins will be collected once a MONTH: Families facing four-week waits in Cardiff in bid to save council money
be picked up once a week
Local Government Secretary Eric Pickles blasted the proposal as 'barmy'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2h1tUagkM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At least FOUR recycling boxes for EVERY home: New EU rules mean households will have to separate all rubbish from 2015
Paper, metal, glass and plastic will all have to be collected separately
Some councils allow homeowners to put out mixed recycling at present
Fears of 'bin blight' as councils are forced to issue more waste boxes
Changes brought in to meet EU target of recycling 50% of waste by 2020
Some councils already ask homeowners to separate out their rubbish into NINE different bins

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2hsZw7r1t" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not quite paragraph 19 but buried towards the end of the article.
However, Lord Demauley insisted households would not necessarily need more bins and could follow other councils which already operate a ‘kerbside sort system’ where materials are sorted before being loaded into the waste collection vehicle.
I currently have 3 bins. A black bin for general waste, a green bin for garden waste and a blue bin for cardboard, tin cans and plastic bottles, at the top of the blue bin is a caddy for holding glass. So it is quite possible to use one bin to hold several different types of waste.
MisterMuncher wrote:Hmmm.

What's the difference, exactly between "food waste" and "food slops"?

Food waste is vegetable peelings etc. Food slops is scrapings from the plate, chicken bones etc.

We are just about to go over to fortnightly general waste collection here in Pembrokeshire with a weekly recycle collection. We had a composter supplied by the council into which goes the vegetable peelings. The food slops are happily collected by the seagulls/foxes/magpies. We also have a large bottle crate that makes a huge and embarrassingly loud crash when emptied. There's also a garden waste wheelie bin I pay £25 a year for fortnightly collections.

We have a large garden where the various bins and composter are hidden away but I wouldn't like to live in a terraced house where the bins are dragged through the property or left in the front garden. I don't have an answer to that one but I can understand why people get aggrieved.
Campaigners have claimed that the new rules will force homeowners to have yet more bins outside their properties.
Who, what, where? Oh here's the campaigner
Doretta Cocks, spokeswoman for the Campaign for Weekly Waste Collection, said that more bins would create problems.

'Contamination has been a long-standing problem since fortnightly residual waste collections were introduced,' she told the Daily Telegraph.
So its a campaigner speaking on a different issue to a different newspaper.

Just send all your shit to the Daily Mail, they can recycle anything into an article.
I also noticed the clothing, cardboard and cans and bottles containers. Seeing as these bags and bins are unlikely to be filled up before every collection day why should these idiots care so much? How many people will need to throw clothes away every single week? Cardboard boxes can surely just stay in the cardboard bin until it is full (at least you now have somewhere to put them that is out of the way) and despite what a nation of alcoholics we are regularly assured we are, not everyone is going to need to put that cans and bottles bin out every time either. Surely the cloth bags can just sit in a drawer until they are needed and the householder won't have to bother putting the cans and cardboard containers out until they are full?

I'm sure the millions of people all over the world who are dying of starvation or AIDS can sympathize with these poor homeowners though.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

David Davis seriously calling for the WA to be t[…]

Mark Francois MP

It seems No Deal is simultaneously nothing to be a[…]

The Tories, Generally

I think Simon Hoare is spot on. My wife has audite[…]

Michael Gove

Not familiar with the reporter Minnie Stephenson b[…]