:sunglasses: 46.7 % ❤ 13.3 % :thumbsup: 26.7 % :grinning: 13.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Hey Kobel I've got this great idea in China they have these places called re-education camps. Why doesn't send all the TERFs over to these re-education camps give the Chinese the right material and they'll do a brilliant job on them.
Last edited by The Weeping Angel on Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
She wasn't the right kind of victim

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/ ... iftigniter
This week, JK Rowling came forward as a survivor of domestic abuse and sexual assault. The context is complex: she told her story in an essay responding to accusations that she is a transphobe. I’m not going to sit here and detail every blow exchanged in that Twitter storm. But I don’t think it minimises the debate to focus, for a moment, on Rowling’s revelation and our reaction to it.

Or, should I say, the Body Shop’s reaction to it.

“Hey @jk_rowling here’s something we made earlier, we thought you might like one” it posted on Twitter alongside a picture of a tote bag bearing the slogan ‘It’s Bloody Natural #DropThePWord to end period shame’.

“We’ve also popped in a vegan bath bomb and a copy of Trans Rights by @paisleycurrah for you to read in the bath!”

Sorry, what?

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It's hardly a shattering insight to say that those who are supposedly on our side expect their comrades to support everything that they do themselves, and if you don't you're the worst kind of crypto-facistic blue Tory. I appreciate that it's a massively important thing if you're personally involved, but it does seem a strange ditch for a lot of others to choose to die in.

By lord_kobel
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:58 am
She wasn't the right kind of victim

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/life/ ... iftigniter
This week, JK Rowling came forward as a survivor of domestic abuse and sexual assault. The context is complex: she told her story in an essay responding to accusations that she is a transphobe. I’m not going to sit here and detail every blow exchanged in that Twitter storm. But I don’t think it minimises the debate to focus, for a moment, on Rowling’s revelation and our reaction to it.

Or, should I say, the Body Shop’s reaction to it.

“Hey @jk_rowling here’s something we made earlier, we thought you might like one” it posted on Twitter alongside a picture of a tote bag bearing the slogan ‘It’s Bloody Natural #DropThePWord to end period shame’.

“We’ve also popped in a vegan bath bomb and a copy of Trans Rights by @paisleycurrah for you to read in the bath!”

Sorry, what?
Or, more accurately, the telegraph is intentionally conflicting two different things. Rowling being a victim of domestic abuse has nothing to do with what Body Shop said, which was to do with her kicking off about the use of the phrase "people who menstruate" in an article about menstruation.
By Dan
Membership Days Membership Days
Yes. Bin him. Awful remark.

In the interest of balance, I saw a lot of the Twitter responses to Rowling by people who identify as transwomen and frankly, they were revolting. Many of them were tweeting that she should "suck their trans dick", "choke on their trans dick" and other terms of misogynistic, verbal sexual abuse. They were also seemingly unaware of the irony of them arguing that they are safe and should be accepted in female-only spaces when making sexual assaults threats to the first person who disagrees with them. A sexual assault victim, no less.

The narrative that the big evil Rowling made vile insults towards poor, sweet trans people who just want to live their lives in peace was skewed massively. Whether you agree or disagree with Rowling, there was no excuse for that kind of abuse*** but these people (the ones who said it, not trans people in general) never actually take responsibility for anything and I would not expect them to on this.

Evanna Lynch was chased and hounded off of Twitter. She was called a bitch and a cunt. Her crime? Although she disagreed with Rowling's argument, she highlighted that Rowling had been a very kind friend for her and asked people respectfully to not bully her when making their point.

So, there we have it. It's not enough for some to disagree with Rowling. It's not enough to be an "ally". It's not even enough to mostly agree, If you don't tacitly support someone's public destruction when they don't agree with you, when you don't tacitly support that person being "cancelled", you are "worthy" of the same treatment as them.

Nobody can say the other side of this argument has behaved well.

She didn't even say anything particularly extreme. Only in a crazed society can what she said be considered extreme.

***I am aware and regret what I said on here in the past with regards to Rowling. I am working on being calmer, not flying off the handle with my views and posting in a respectful manner***
spoonman liked this

By lord_kobel
Dan wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:47 pm
The narrative that the big evil Rowling made vile insults towards poor, sweet trans people who just want to live their lives in peace was skewed massively.
Indded. Only one of them has a reach of 14.5 million followers.

Dan wrote:
Whether you agree or disagree with Rowling, there was no excuse for that kind of abuse*** but these people (the ones who said it, not trans people in general) never actually take responsibility for anything and I would not expect them to on this.
And if you read the first link I put up in my large post, it goes to great lengths to point out how such abuse is wrong.

Dan wrote:
Evanna Lynch was chased and hounded off of Twitter.
I can't actually find anything about this online? Do you have a link to more info?

By bluebellnutter
So just to be clear, I really like the Harry Potter stories and recently watched both the Fantastic Beasts films and thoroughly enjoyed them.

I just want to know whether this is fine or whether I have to hand in my membership card and piss off to Stormfront or similar now.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

The last time a plot-line gripped me like this e[…]

Roll Call

I'm not saying this year has been unusually hot, b[…]

On the Radio

Programme , please - program is what you do t[…]

C**t of the day

I see 'Rochdale' is trending. Take your pick.[…]