Discussion of MailOnline's big traffic driver - celebrity stories
:sunglasses: 50 % ❤ 5 % :thumbsup: 27.5 % :grinning: 15 % 🙏 2.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Dan
Membership Days Membership Days
#619085
Kreuzberger wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:50 am
This use of "woke" as a pejorative loses none of its ability to get right up my fuckin beak.

Being awake to issues which could make the world a better place is not a sin. Much like doing good.
WOKE, as it is, does not make the world a better place. It makes it worse. The current incarnation of WOKE is a cancer on society.
By Dan
Membership Days Membership Days
#619086
visage wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:31 am
Was thinking about this yesterday.

For a long time, JKR was a darling of the left - she was very vocal about how the welfare state had helped her when she was broke, and how as a wealthy woman she felt a duty to pay her taxes to help others. She was quoted saying as such on many sites.

But now, even if she said the same, shed get ignored, She's become almost an unperson. No matter how valid her point, no matter how well made, nobody on the woke left will quote her on it. Because of one area of opinion where she stepped out of line.

Its similar to Blair. When he makes his well argued timely interventions on, say Brexit, or how coronavrirus should be handled, you know the only response will be 'Yeahbutiraq....'

Its as though its no longer possibly to agree with someone on somethings while disagreeing with them on others....
This is true.

If Rowling held the answer to getting rid of the Tories, the current WOKE crowd would not go for it because she said it. Personal grudges and authoritarianism mean everything and you toe one inch out of line, you will become, as you say, an unperson.
spoonman liked this
 
By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
#619088
I'm tending to go with Dan on this. Some people's minds are so closed they cannot see that their vociferous 'support' often does more damage than good to the cause they purport to espouse. Asking a reasonable question, or saying you can understand a differing point of view, earns you abuse.

Lord K was a good example of this. Any mention of women's unease at the thought of what appear to be men in women-only spaces and he would accuse you (and all of those women he's never met) of being bigoted and closed-minded, when it was immediately obvious that the only closed-minded bigot was Lord Kobel himself. This behaviour makes enemies, not friends, of people who, until their interaction with the 'supporter', had no real opinion either way.

While *we* all know what "woke" means, the tabloid-reading masses only have the definitions kindly provided by responsible journalists like Peter Hitchens and Richard Littlejohn, so "woke", to many people, becomes a perjorative. And people like Lord Kobel add credence to the tabloid definition.
Dan, spoonman liked this
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
#619099
Andy McDandy wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:58 am
The other day I asked a friend what was the difference between bisexual and pansexual, because as far as I could see, both meant that provided there was mutual attraction and no other complications, one could be attracted to anyone regardless of gender.

Hoo boy.

Did I not know that some people don't have a gender? That some people have no sexuality, or only feel platonic love for people, or feel that bisexuality implies a desire for sexual congress that not everyone wants?

I'm always afraid of coming over all LIttlejohn, but sometimes...
There are men and there are women and a small group who are trans. End of.
 
By Scarlet emperor
#619103
It's the almost rabid desire to be offended that is the problem. Personally I think it's pure attention seeking 'look at me' bollocks rather than a genuine liberal outlook. The irony is they are becoming the judgemental bigots they think they are condemning.
 
By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#619119
It's become the leftist equivalent of the right-wing cliche, "You can't be x if you think y... HYPOCRITE!!!" Can't be a socialist if you've got soles on your shoes, can't care about the environment because you went on a plane fifteen years ago. But of course they have to take it one step further, because while the Tories will say you can't support the other lot if you don't pass the checklist of ideological purity, this lot are saying we don't want you, fuck off and vote Tory.

And of course, what they can't comprehend is that while JK Rowling has done more for them, for women, gays, for every minority just by being herself and paying her taxes than they could ever dream of doing. None of this counts because she doesn't agree with them on one matter that for the vast majority of people in Britain is not just irrelevant, they didn't even know it existed until this petty little furore kicked off. It's like refusing American aid in World War 2 because of their government's treatment of the Arapaho nation.
Last edited by davidjay on Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#619149
Kreuzberger wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:50 am
This use of "woke" as a pejorative loses none of its ability to get right up my fuckin beak.

Being awake to issues which could make the world a better place is not a sin. Much like doing good.
It originated as a call amongst the black community to keep an eye on broader society and be aware of how it could be fucking you over. Damned straight it had to be co-opted, mutated and ran into the ground. The untermenschen had already got too many bright ideas after Political Correctness dared to assert the humanity as primary rather than their deviation from straight white Anglophone Christian.
 
By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#619159
Dan wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:07 pm
Kreuzberger wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:50 am
This use of "woke" as a pejorative loses none of its ability to get right up my fuckin beak.

Being awake to issues which could make the world a better place is not a sin. Much like doing good.
WOKE, as it is, does not make the world a better place. It makes it worse. The current incarnation of WOKE is a cancer on society.
I'm not questioning your intelligence here, nor am I trying to be a cunt, but I urge you to separate what's actually meant by sincere "woke" people vs. the extremities seen in reportage. We are, all of us here, intimately familiar with the broad brush lies told by the press and perpetuated by urban myth regarding every effort toward social progress. There's a whole lot of "Winterval" and "Baa Baa Rainbow Sheep" going on out there. The truth is a lot closer to "Maybe you could stop saying Paki and faggot, please?".
 
By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
#619198
Catkins wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:58 am
And currently Rosie Duffield MP is trending on twitter, with a coordinated campaign to submit complaints to Labour, for her to be disciplined and deselected for her transphobic statement 'only women have cervixes'.
Do you think she will?

  • 1
  • 14
  • 15
  • 16
  • 17
  • 18
Boris Johnson

https://mobile.twitter.com/alanferrier/status/1291[…]

The Tories, Generally

The other week I tried to put down some though[…]

Meanwhile, in Lebanon

On conspiracy theories... https://www.bbc.co.uk/n[…]

Roll Call

It certainly seems to be making my local takeaway […]