•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By ACG
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
"enrages"? really?

there is one quote from one person, and lets take a look at that eh?
SGPC chief Avtar Singh Makkar wrote:‘a slur on the Sikh community’

‘Even if the author had chosen to describe the female Sikh character’s physical traits, there was no need for her to use provocative language, questioning her gender. This is condemnable.’

If anything is written against the Sikh maryada (dignity), we will write to [India’s] prime minister Manmohan Singh and urge him to take up the matter with the government in the United Kingdom for action against Rowling."

'Nobody can injure our religious sentiments. If something has been written against the Sikh faith, I condemn it vehemently and strongly.’
(emphasis mine)

that's a hell of a lot of "if"s isn't it? far more than you'd expect from someone who'd read the book and come away from it offended. it's almost like the mail called this guy up, read him this one extract and asked what he thought of it.
nice try everyone at mail towers, but i can't see this one gaining any traction outside of your pages. it's pretty clear even from the scant information you've given that the quote comes from the thoughts of a character and is intended to portray them in a bad light, and not the character it's being said about.

going outside of what information the mail give, from what i've read about the book i'm pretty sure the sikh girl in question is meant to be a victim of bullying, which wouldn't really work narratively unless you also portrayed the bullys and their attitudes.

By davidjay
SGPC chief Avtar Singh Makkar wrote:‘a slur on the Sikh community’

‘Even if the author had chosen to describe the female Sikh character’s physical traits, there was no need for her to use provocative language, questioning her gender. This is condemnable.’

If anything is written against the Sikh maryada (dignity), we will write to [India’s] prime minister Manmohan Singh and urge him to take up the matter with the government in the United Kingdom for action against Rowling."

'Nobody can injure our religious sentiments. If something has been written against the Sikh faith, I condemn it vehemently and strongly.’
Wouldn't that be against the freedom of speech held so dearly by the far-right?
By SoulBoy
'I am prouder of my years as a single mother than of any other part of my life', says JK Rowling

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -life.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I wonder which of the Glendas will be tasked with bringing her down a peg or two?

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
How JK Rowling's sob story about her past as a single mother has left the churchgoers who cared for her upset and bewildered

Best rated comments
Oracle, Delphi, Kyrgyzstan, 1 hour ago
Ah! I see. JK Rowling has the audacity to hold different political beliefs from the DM and its acolytes so she is a prime target for a classic DM hatchet job. This article reeks of envy and the barrel has been well and truly scraped in the frustrated effort to find something to try to damn her for. Absolutely pathetic.
Ginistera, Eldorado, United Kingdom, 1 hour ago
Snide snarkiness, much, DM? Like she cares a jot what you think or have to say....
perturbed, london, 1 hour ago
when will your vendetta against JK Rowling end?
CaptainGinger, Islington, 2 hours ago
Cor, what a snide article. You really don’t like this woman, do you?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... dered.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By Fozzy
And once again, the most Mailtard commenters are suggesting that Rowling only wrote the article for publicity in order to sell her books. When will they get it through their thick heads that Rowling has no need for cheap publicity to sell books, the mere fact that her name is on the cover achieves that? And indeed that she has so much money she doesn't actually have to sell any books at all?

By Malcolm Armsteen
Interesting snippet from Popbitch:
As the political classes agonise over
whether the Daily Mail's ham-fisted
attempt at smearing Ed Miliband will
end editor Paul Dacre's reign (NB he
helpfully celebrates his 65th birthday
next month) its weird sibling,
mailonline, powers on.

The "Sidebar Of Shame" is a real
money-spinner. But it doesn't just
generate revenue by boosting click
rates and page impressions. It seems
some celebs - rather than complain
about press intrusion - have been
bunging the Mail five-figure sums
to ensure that they get regular,
flattering coverage down the
side of the site.

One such celeb is said to be
Made In Chelsea's Kimberley Garner.
Given the frequency of the stories
that run on the Mail's sidebar where
she appears in just her bikini, it
seems that both parties are getting
just the right amount of exposure
that a rumoured 30k should get.
The Tories, Generally

As someone said on there, paraphrased - the worst[…]

US election 2020

https://twitter.com/EricTrump/status/1319672735035[…]

Priti Patel

Oh my God. It's a rather high profile case, at a r[…]

Peter Hitchens

And extremely intelligent, and a critical thinker.