•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts LikeBB
The bonkers Irish fillum actor is a hot topic now after admitting to some idiotic thinking in his past :

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/f ... black-man

Liam Neeson : after a friend was raped I wanted to kill a black man

What it boils down to is Neeson saying "See when I was a good bit younger? I was a bit of a cunt, and I thought some right cuntish things. But I'm ok now."

And he's getting pelters from it all over the news media and in particular, the phone-in commentariat this morning.

An over-reaction, I feel.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
He makes a valid point that we are all susceptible to the tyranny of blind rage but would have been wiser to kept his experience more opaque. Especially in an interview to promote his tacky revenge movie. Did Neeson say this happened in Dublin when he was a young man, who was he going to attack Phil Lynott?

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:10 pm
The bonkers Irish fillum actor is a hot topic now after admitting to some idiotic thinking in his past :

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/f ... black-man

Liam Neeson : after a friend was raped I wanted to kill a black man

What it boils down to is Neeson saying "See when I was a good bit younger? I was a bit of a cunt, and I thought some right cuntish things. But I'm ok now."

And he's getting pelters from it all over the news media and in particular, the phone-in commentariat this morning.

An over-reaction, I feel.
No what it boils down to is Neeson confessed to wanting to murder a random black man.

By Abernathy
The Weeping Angel wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:42 pm
No what it boils down to is Neeson confessed to wanting to murder a random black man.
Why are you such a bell-end?
Fozzy liked this

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I should think the film studio, the producers and the money men are holding their heads in horror at Neeson's comments. This is the kind of comment that if social media hadn't have existed would need to be invented so that everyone could throw in their tuppenny-worth. There's probably a #CastrateLiam twitter feed running.

It was crass and very ill-advised but I struggle to muster up any outrage.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
So a guy "admits" that at a time of personal trauma many years ago he was angry and not thinking straight, and now he regrets it?

Can't really feel much outrage either.

By Abernathy
Daley Mayle wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:56 pm
I should think the film studio, the producers and the money men are holding their heads in horror at Neeson's comments. This is the kind of comment that if social media hadn't have existed would need to be invented so that everyone could throw in their tuppenny-worth. There's probably a #CastrateLiam twitter feed running.

It was crass and very ill-advised but I struggle to muster up any outrage.
Indeed, Daley. The point I was attempting to make, in order to prompt some discussion, but which was so idiotically ignored by the bell-end, was that in revealing what he did and admitting to being ashamed of having done so, he also showed serious contrition and a real recognition of the darkly irrational thoughts that he had been prey to.

I agree that in career terms it may well have been advisable to keep his revelation to himself, but I'd like to think by making it, and his recognition of it as idiotically wrong, public he may have helped dissuade other young men who might harbour similar thoughts.

Thanks for engaging.
Last edited by Abernathy on Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyclist liked this

By Malcolm Armsteen
Andy McDandy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:27 pm
So a guy "admits" that at a time of personal trauma many years ago he was angry and not thinking straight, and now he regrets it?

Can't really feel much outrage either.
Neither could Ian Wright.

By Abernathy
You're a bell end. Why? I'll explain this to you as simply as I can. The facts of the case were detailed, complete with a link, in the original post. My original post also put forward my take on the matter, which was that Neeson had simply admitted to some rather stupid thinking during a stressful time some years previously, which he now profoundly regretted, and that as such, the media reaction had been, in my view, somewhat overblown. Daley Mayle and Andy McDandy subsequently concurred with this view.

Instead of engaging with some intelligent debate around this view, you chose to make a (supposed) smart-arsed remark in which you simply reiterated what the bare facts of the matter were. To what end, I do not know.

Is there a remote possibility that you might begin to understand why I'm a bit annoyed? You bovine thicko.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:02 pm
You're a bell end. Why? I'll explain this to you as simply as I can. The facts of the case were detailed, complete with a link, in the original post. My original post also put forward my take on the matter, which was that Neeson had simply admitted to some rather stupid thinking during a stressful time some years previously, which he now profoundly regretted, and that as such, the media reaction had been, in my view, somewhat overblown. Daley Mayle and Andy McDandy subsequently concurred with this view.

Instead of engaging with some intelligent debate around this view, you chose to make a (supposed) smart-arsed remark in which you simply reiterated what the bare facts of the matter were. To what end, I do not know.

Is there a remote possibility that you might begin to understand why I'm a bit annoyed? You bovine thicko.
It wasn't a smart arsed remark, it was me pointing out he wanted to murder a random and therefore innocent man purely because of the colour of his skin. Yes he did admit shame at what he thought, but when did we start saying well done because because they wanted to kill people because of the colour of their skin? As this piece from Gary Younge points out black life isn't valued the same way white life is.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... tor-racism
“She said it was a black person.” At this point one has to wonder what would have happened if the answer had been a white person. Would Neeson have gone out looking for a “white bastard” to kill? Or would he just have killed himself? Is the race of the attacker only relevant if they are black? Or can we share this bigotry around?

Neeson continues. “I went up and down areas with a cosh, hoping I’d be approached by somebody – I’m ashamed to say that – and I did it for maybe a week, hoping some ‘black bastard’ would come out of a pub and have a go at me about something, you know? So that I could … kill him.”

So there it is. Neeson is angry and upset and decides to invest his rage in the collective punishment of a group of people based on the colour of their skin. It is perhaps now clearer to some why the early 21st century needed a movement called Black Lives Matter. Because the man who performed a tender love scene with Viola Davis is the same man who fantasised about killing her husband or stepson or anyone else who looked like them. Because the sanctity of black life has yet to be settled. When some white people look at us they see anything from a misplaced grievance to a cautionary tale. What they do not see are human beings. We are still fair game.

This is not some historical problem. It is a lived reality. There was Gregory Alan Bush, in October, who allegedly told a witness: “Whites don’t shoot whites” after shooting two black people at a Kentucky grocery store, having first tried to gain entry to a black church; the black security guard in Chicago shot dead by police in November while doing his job; the Nashville police officer indicted last month for fatally shooting a man in the back as he ran away.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
From what I have heard (as someone who takes no interest in cinema or actors etc etc), the whole story has a whiff of romance about it. He roamed the streets for a week looking for a victim? A whole week? Really?

If I was a cynic, I'd say that the whole story is pre-release hyperbole which has been less than well thought through.
Labour, Generally.

I'm sure the less well of Brexiters of Great Yarmo[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Anyhoo, worth a read : https://www.commondreams.[…]

Sad Faces in Local Papers

Northern Irish local newspapers are generally quit[…]

If.