•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
Please forgive if this may sound a bit trite and simplistic, but I've also boiled it down ( to paraphrase a previous correspondent;

On the one hand, Liam Neeson, who has had an emotional reaction to a very upsetting event. He felt extreme anger at the time, but realized that was completely the wrong way to go and has openly acknowledged this....and at the end of the day, how many black people did he kill, or continue with a public campaign against black people?

Then on the other hand we have the likes of Tommy Robinson who has taken other people's anger - at events that didn't even involve them on any level yet alone the emotional level Neeson experienced at the time - and has manipulated that supposed anger into something a lot worse than Neeson thoughts. Would Robinson ever have the courage/self awareness to acknowledge this?
Abernathy liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Kreuzberger wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:45 pm
From what I have heard (as someone who takes no interest in cinema or actors etc etc), the whole story has a whiff of romance about it. He roamed the streets for a week looking for a victim? A whole week? Really?

If I was a cynic, I'd say that the whole story is pre-release hyperbole which has been less than well thought through.

It was, movie stars often have flimsy anecdotes their PR gnomes have worked out that fits with the character they're playing (likewise with bands promoting a bad boy/girl image). One for Luvvies in Private Eye was Ian McKellan promoting his villain role as Magneto. He identified with the X Men because as a gay man and an actor he was also an outsider.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Although considering that the X-Men was conceived as an analogy for "outsiders" (including LGBT people), and Mckellan is gay, I'd file that one under happy coincidence rather than PR fluff.
Samanfur liked this

By Daley Mayle
Genuine conversation yesterday.

Scene: Me and Mrs Mayle in the car, I switch on the radio and catch the very end of a news piece that mentions Liam Neeson and a controversy.

Me: 'Liam Neeson? Is he the bloke from uh, thingy, oh what's it called... uh, Oasis?'
Mrs M: 'No, he's an actor I think.'
Me: 'What's he done?'
Mrs M: 'Dunno, there was something about it on Facebook but I didn't really read it.'

<silence>

Me: 'Still can't place him. What films has he been in that I've seen?'
Mrs M: 'Love Actually'
Me: 'Never seen it.'
Mrs M: 'Yes you did. It was on over Christmas.'
Me: 'It might have been but I didn't see it.'
Mrs M: 'Yes you did, we all watched it together with the grandchildren.'
Me: 'I was probably in the kitchen making dinner.'
Mrs M: 'Probably hiding.'

<Silence>

Me: 'Anyway, Love Actually was Hugh... thingy... wossname.'
Mrs M: 'Grant. And Liam Neeson.'
Me: 'Oh yeah. I wonder what he did?'

It's great getting old together, you can both be blissfully ignorant of the raging contemporaries controversies and not give a damn. Tomorrow's chip wrappings.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
It's great getting old together, you can both be blissfully ignorant of the raging contemporaries controversies and not give a damn.

I'm starting to think this blissful strategy is the way to go and I intend to move to the coast and not recognise anyone in ten years time apart from dog walkers, Bilko and Laurel and Hardy.
Boiler, Watchman liked this

By Samanfur
Andy McDandy wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:48 am
Although considering that the X-Men was conceived as an analogy for "outsiders" (including LGBT people), and Mckellan is gay, I'd file that one under happy coincidence rather than PR fluff.
Agreed. And the director of the initial films, Bryan Singer, is also a gay man. He was quite open about working that allegory into the films at the time.
By SoulBoy
Membership Days Posts
Daley Mayle wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:50 am
Genuine conversation yesterday.

Scene: Me and Mrs Mayle in the car, I switch on the radio and catch the very end of a news piece that mentions Liam Neeson and a controversy.

Me: 'Liam Neeson? Is he the bloke from uh, thingy, oh what's it called... uh, Oasis?'

Easily done. Soulgirl did once suggest, while watching an episode of Pointless, that The Naked Gun was a "feature film made for cinematic release in which Liam Neeson is given an acting credit". Liam and O J Simpson would have been a hell of a pairing.

By Abernathy
John Barnes' latest take on the Neeson kerfuffle is worth a read :

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ias-racism
I take it as read that the idea of someone stalking the streets seeking out any “black bastard” to murder is inherently abhorrent and racist. However it seems that for most people, rather than this being a jumping-off point to start a conversation, it is where the conversation ends. He did say those things so there is no defence. Many are happy to ignore the fact he was admitting to a shameful, backward way of thinking, which he now knows is wrong. Unfortunately, this approach does nothing to address the conscious or unconscious bias that many, if not all of us, feel. By only condemning Neeson’s candid admission we lose an opportunity to explore the causes and effects of racial bias that are so pervasive today.
Aaron Bastani

He's trying to win Uncle Seamus's approval. https[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

If we're honest we are really facing a "glove[…]

Climate change and "politics"

Well done to those kids who went on strike today. […]

The Trump Presidency

He has declared a national emergency on salad (veg[…]