•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Philip Marlow
Membership Days
I like a bit of swaggering, uncomplicated machismo in my rock as much as the next man (there are far too many AC/DC albums on my shelves for me to deny it), and I'm not carrying any particular torch for Prince (or Bowie actually) but fucking Nora Jesus; do some people never, truly, really, outgrow the 'girls are yucky' nonsense that a boy ought to be leaving behind him at twelve years old?

By mikey mikey
It's a race to the bottom these days to lowest common denominator politics. first to scrape the barrel wins.

By Zuriblue
Jollity wrote:"A girl's idea of what rock music should sound like". As if that's an insult.
Depends on the girls, of course. These ones seem to have the right idea

[youtube]BYNWo93fPG8[/youtube]

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
The contempt for Prince's instrumental abilities shines through, green and sour. Yes, he didn't do big fucking riffs, but it wasn't because he couldn't. The dividing line between the good and the great guitar player is the ability to play shit-hot rhythm guitar for the song, not hide behind a repeating figure until you get to the solo. That's why Hendrix, Prince, Steve Cropper, Chet Atkins, Willie Nelson et al are geniuses. I love Zep and a big crunchy riff as much as the next man, but Jimmy Page's finest work was the subtle stuff.

In short, Delingpole would prefer Noel to Rory Gallagher, because he's a simple-minded cunt.
By Coupled Moment
Membership Days
Some more girls' ideas about how rock music should sound:
[youtube]W_Jo4JQIQro[/youtube]
Although this one may be more apt for Delingpole:
[youtube]cjw4AWoHr2k[/youtube]
MisterMuncher wrote:The contempt for Prince's instrumental abilities shines through, green and sour. Yes, he didn't do big fucking riffs, but it wasn't because he couldn't. The dividing line between the good and the great guitar player is the ability to play shit-hot rhythm guitar for the song, not hide behind a repeating figure until you get to the solo. That's why Hendrix, Prince, Steve Cropper, Chet Atkins, Willie Nelson et al are geniuses. I love Zep and a big crunchy riff as much as the next man, but Jimmy Page's finest work was the subtle stuff.

In short, Delingpole would prefer Noel to Rory Gallagher, because he's a simple-minded cunt.
It's worth noting that just about* every guitarist, and indeed musician, that expressed an opinion on Prince's passing highlighted his incredible skill as an instrumentalist. This included the likes of Kirk Windstein and frankly I think that someone who does it for a living (and has "RIFF LORD" tattooed on his knuckles) is probably a better arbiter of what makes "proper" music than a journalist who has apparently only heard Stairway to Heaven.

*There will always be contrarians and exceptions of course.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
As puke-inducing as his hissy fit over the Austrian election?

Tuesday, 24 May 2016
Breitbart Austria Paranoia
http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... anoia.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Take your far-right victimhood and shove it up your whiny arse.
The Northern Irish thread

Brexit poisons everything it touches but the motiv[…]

The Israel Defense Forces responded to Morris dem[…]

Tony Blair (more Marmite than Messiah)

Yeah. Fucking awful by Blair. It seems The Gu[…]

Meanwhile in America

Of the available candidates (so far) she'd be my[…]