For all print & online journalism
:sunglasses: 100 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By cycloon
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#543668
Good. That is precisely what interviewers should be doing.

'Words mean things. That word means this. But you did this. So explain.'

Trump's thing is all part of his wilful, but simultaneously unconscious, destruction of institutions. The giant twat cannot stand the idea of being caught, or even investigated even if he is innocent, and so casts everything as a conspiracy against himself, not grasping what damage he is doing.
 
By Samanfur
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#543671
cycloon wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:56 pm
Good. That is precisely what interviewers should be doing.

'Words mean things. That word means this. But you did this. So explain.'
Quite. But given the BBC's current run of form, it seems worth commenting on when they actually pull their fingers out.

Young comes into play here at 20:21. I'm leaving David Lammy's comments in because he (along with Dawn Butler) seems to've managed to get up Young's nose.
 
By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#543680
Then again, I suppose taking shit for some "ill-judged" or "tasteless" tweets probably suits Toby just grand. It'll take less time in sackcloth and ashes than his links to Eugenicist Neo-Nazi types would.

He's quite happy to play the wanker to disguise the fact he's a cunt.
Cyclist liked this
 
By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
#543686
Samanfur wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 3:15 pm
cycloon wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:56 pm
Good. That is precisely what interviewers should be doing.

'Words mean things. That word means this. But you did this. So explain.'
Quite. But given the BBC's current run of form, it seems worth commenting on when they actually pull their fingers out.
It's not just their current form. Remember *that* interview with IDS after the ATOS death figures were released?

BBC: What do you say to that, Mr Work & Pensions Secretary?
IDS: I don't accept those figures
BBC: OK, we'll drop the subject and move on

Yet the BBC is *still* one of the most trusted news organisations in the world!
 
By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
#543774
Toby Young

Verified account

@toadmeister
Follow Follow @toadmeister
More
Wonder if any Remainers disputing result of #EURef on grounds that referenda aren’t sensible way to settle important, complicated questions because ordinary people lack the education or intelligence to fully grasp them will dispute result of the Irish Referendum on same grounds?
Er, there had to be a referendum because the ban was part of the constitution.
 
By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
#543778
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 3:21 pm
Toby Young

Verified account

@toadmeister
Follow Follow @toadmeister
More
Wonder if any Remainers disputing result of #EURef on grounds that referenda aren’t sensible way to settle important, complicated questions because ordinary people lack the education or intelligence to fully grasp them will dispute result of the Irish Referendum on same grounds?
Er, there had to be a referendum because the ban was part of the constitution.
And the issue is a far simpler one, with no long term implications for the economy, continued existence of the UK, etc.
youngian, oboogie liked this
 
By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
#543783
Mr. Young's making a few fallacies there...

The Irish referendum yesterday was binding, the UK EU referendum was not.

The Irish referendum result has next to no impact with regards to their country and its international relations. The UK withdrawal from the EU has a sh*tload of impact.

The Irish voted to eliminate a portion of their Constitution that they felt was no longer fit for purpose (that in itself was an amendment). While it could be argued that the 2016 EU referendum result did the same for the 1975 result, there is a strong argument itself that the proposed resolution of the 2016 result is itself becoming increasingly unfit for the UK and that another poll should be called now that voters have clearer info as to the real consequences of leaving the EU.

The Irish electorate is by now used to semi-regular referendums that are demanded for any constitutional change, and school pupils in the state are taught civics to explain it to them. Indeed there is another referendum date coming up in October (two amendments and an advisory vote) and another planned for June next year. In the UK referenda is a rare occurrence due to a different set up in the sovereignty of the country, and civics? Erm...

Finallly, despite the emphatic result for the removal of the 8th amendment in Ireland it is being recognised that future legislation with regards to a widening of abortion availability should take into account the concerns of the 1/3 of voters that voted against removal so that a viable consensus can be reached recognising that the debate and vote has for many been a moral and emotional matter. On the other hand, the UK voted to leave the EU on a narrow majority and what is the response of the victors? "Remoaners, you lost! Get over it! Now fuck off and stop talking Britain down!!!11"
 
By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
#543792
Arnold wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:44 pm
And no disaster capitalists backing one side for their own selfish reasons.
That's debatable - as I said elsewhere the was a lot of dark money from overseas that flowed into the "No" campaign, most of it from the USA. And many of the disaster capitalists that court the alt-right likely had a hand in this to try and influence a social and cultural battle in an English-speaking country in parallel to such outcomes like Brexit & Tr*mp. Thankfully, they failed miserably.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#544899
As I was about to say, Toby owes everything - his status as a commentator, his sinecures, everything - to the fact he was mates at uni with Boris and Gove.
  • 1
  • 173
  • 174
  • 175
  • 176
  • 177
  • 178

Flybmi collapses, blaming Brexit uncertainty […]

Just when you think Yaxley-Lennon couldn’t b[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

It doesn't but it can be a nuisance to Labour.

The Tories, Generally

Exclusive: Tory Party 'In Denial' Over Islamopho[…]