•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
Much as i'm sometimes inclined, naively you may say, to see good in my fellow humans....there are a few exceptions;
so Toby if your thinking is along those lines, you would do very well to consider how you have actually manged to exist on this earth for so long, because if we went down that route, your test tube wouldn't even have come out of the cupboard.

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
"The penalty for being ahead of the curve".

Fuck off, Tobes, crapping on about your persecution like you're the Galileo of being a cunt. The two differences are that Galileo suffered actual persecution and was right, whereas you didn't get a job for which you were fundamentally unqualified, and (as usual) are fractally wrong, about everything, all the time.
Watchman, Oblomov liked this
By Andy McDandy
What is it with these twats and misappropriated Batman quotes?

Ahead of the curve - well, that's the Joker. Then there's "The fire rises!", popular among alt-right types, that's from Bane.

You know, they're both fucking bad guys?

By Messianic Trees
Membership Days Posts
How to lose more friends and alienate more people
This used to be the busiest time of the year for me. If you do anything in public life — even something minor like running a free schools charity — you get asked to do a lot of things at Christmas. More if you pop up on telly occasionally. Last year, I must have attended at least a dozen carol services, and did a reading at most of them. I spoke at Christmas parties, gave after–dinner speeches and opened fairs.

And the nativity plays — don’t get me started on the nativity plays. I managed to limit myself to eight in 2017, but it’s usually more. I never cease to wonder at all the parents, up on their feet, filming the entire performance on their phones. Are they really going to inflict that on the grandparents on Christmas Day? All two hours?

But this year, nothing. Not a single invitation. Following my defenestration from public life, whereby I lost five positions, including my full-time job, I have been surgically removed from every VIP list. No Christmas cards either. It’s quite impressive in a way. I always assumed that no one ever checked these things. Some of the cards I used to get were redirected from an address I haven’t lived at for 20 years. But evidently someone checks — or word comes down from on high. Such are the costs of being targeted by a Twitter outrage mob.
My fall in status has been vertiginous, like the plot of a Tom Wolfe novel, but I can say, hand on heart, that it isn’t all bad. Yes, yes, there’s the money — or lack of it. I’ve always supplemented my income by doing freelance journalism, but it’s only now that I’m relying on it entirely that I realise just how difficult it is to make a living from being a hack. When I wrote my first piece for a national newspaper in 1985 I was paid three times as much as I get for an article today. Poor Caroline has had to take a part-time job to keep the wolf from the door. If interest rates go up, or Jeremy Corbyn becomes prime minister and introduces a property tax, we’ll have to sell the house.

By cycloon
Messianic Trees wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:51 pm
How to lose more friends and alienate more people
This used to be the busiest time of the year for me. If you do anything in public life — even something minor like running a free schools charity — you get asked to do a lot of things at Christmas. More if you pop up on telly occasionally. Last year, I must have attended at least a dozen carol services, and did a reading at most of them. I spoke at Christmas parties, gave after–dinner speeches and opened fairs.

And the nativity plays — don’t get me started on the nativity plays. I managed to limit myself to eight in 2017, but it’s usually more. I never cease to wonder at all the parents, up on their feet, filming the entire performance on their phones. Are they really going to inflict that on the grandparents on Christmas Day? All two hours?

But this year, nothing. Not a single invitation. Following my defenestration from public life, whereby I lost five positions, including my full-time job, I have been surgically removed from every VIP list. No Christmas cards either. It’s quite impressive in a way. I always assumed that no one ever checked these things. Some of the cards I used to get were redirected from an address I haven’t lived at for 20 years. But evidently someone checks — or word comes down from on high. Such are the costs of being targeted by a Twitter outrage mob.
My fall in status has been vertiginous, like the plot of a Tom Wolfe novel, but I can say, hand on heart, that it isn’t all bad. Yes, yes, there’s the money — or lack of it. I’ve always supplemented my income by doing freelance journalism, but it’s only now that I’m relying on it entirely that I realise just how difficult it is to make a living from being a hack. When I wrote my first piece for a national newspaper in 1985 I was paid three times as much as I get for an article today. Poor Caroline has had to take a part-time job to keep the wolf from the door. If interest rates go up, or Jeremy Corbyn becomes prime minister and introduces a property tax, we’ll have to sell the house.
Bullshit. Or, 'How Even In Slide Down The Greasey Pole I Can Profit From It'. Toad loses, Toad still wins. The real flipside of success=acceptance in that grey hinterland world of minor celeb and talking head is not anonymity and 'normality', it's success=playing off a fall from grace.

It's always someone else's fault, not his total lack of talent or thought being revealed.

By MisterMuncher
It's in the "never left school" category, innit? The issue isn't that Toby is a cunt, it's that some sneak told teacher he was a cunt.

In these days of doxxing and swatting, I'd say Toby hasn't a fucking clue what the bad side of the Twitter mob looks like.

By cycloon
MisterMuncher wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:14 am
It's in the "never left school" category, innit? The issue isn't that Toby is a cunt, it's that some sneak told teacher he was a cunt.

In these days of doxxing and swatting, I'd say Toby hasn't a fucking clue what the bad side of the Twitter mob looks like.
Funny, isn't it, that the worst excesses of the internet - often stemming from the same sources as the alt-right and co - are never included in the conversation about 'free speech on the internet', which lazily apes the newspaper mentality: the Twitter mob are urban elites drinking coffee (HOW DARE THEY) in North London.

Meanwhile free speech warriors sure like to doxx YouTube feminists etc, whilst Gamergate et al was a hysterical over-reaction to a) the issue of game reviews (FFS) and b) feminism et al.
Catkins, Oblomov liked this
That Time Of Year Again.... (Two)

You can almost sense the disappointment in the ton[…]

The Trump Presidency

Post-Obama was always going to be a dip, as he was[…]

Boris Johnson

And I've no doubt that Mutti is speaking for all o[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Corbyn’s liberationist politics are not hard[…]