:sunglasses: 80 % :thumbsup: 6.7 % :grinning: 13.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Incredible that I'd never heard of those grants.

At least a couple of people on the Telegraph comments know the "we're helping the poorest argument" usually means "we'll help a few, but anyone just above that can fuck off".

Isn't there a cash crisis with the government having to pay the fees now to the universities Who've helpfully charged a hell of a lot.
By mattomac
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Incredible that I'd never heard of those grants.

At least a couple of people on the Telegraph comments know the "we're helping the poorest argument" usually means "we'll help a few, but anyone just above that can fuck off".

Isn't there a cash crisis with the government having to pay the fees now to the universities Who've helpfully charged a hell of a lot.
Could be, they deny that the blackhole will appear but by the time they stop denying it, it will probably have swallowed them up.

I think the interesting one will be what the Welsh Universities charge, the welsh assembly has committed that no Welsh person will pay more than 4k, in the long run it's sensible(Spreads the cost) but in the short term could be a political hand grenade. They really could have been protectist in preventing Welsh students to study just in Wales but that restricts alot of Welsh kids to 1 excellent and 1 good university.

The government can go two ways, re-review the cutting of the University budget push it back until 2015 so at least some of that 9k will start to appear and maybe change some University fee plans or they could cut the number of students restricting higher education to an even more exclusive group without allowing for social and economic change to allow for other less fortunate kids to benefit from more vocational education. Also let's not kid ourselves alot of Universities do degrees in very vocational areas.

You benefit not just in a degree through university, but like myself if you get involved it all builds social skills and expierence, and I certaintly wouldn't be employed in the SU at Swansea if I hadn't.

The government by cutting budgets and restricting numbers should not be turning around and asking for more. They should be asking for a lot less. I've always been with NUS in recent years on this in which a Graduate Tax should be implemented. It would make the better off continue to pay and the less well off wouldn't have a continous debt building up through interest payments which is debt held by the government and debt that will create a massive hole in government finances come the time when it is ready to be wiped out. I am unlikely to pay my graduate loan off until about the age of 45 If the government was committed to kids like myself getting to University I would pay until the age I stopped working. It's the only sensible alternative.
By mattomac
Tubby Isaacs wrote:I'm not a graduate tax man. More an income tax man. We worry too much about self-made men.

Here's another sightiing of the man. You reckon he's read all those books?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011 ... ainst-debt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's probably not even his house

By Messianic Trees
Membership Days Posts
I'm attending the Rally Against Debt. And that makes me worse than a Nazi, according to the hysterical Left

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyy ... inst-debt/
The Guardian slapped my picture on the front page of its website on Monday and ran a piece about the rally [against debt], identifying me as the leading figure in Britain's burgeoning Tea Party movement. As far as the paper’s army of Left-wing commentators were concerned, this was tantamount to outing me as a Nazi. Worse than a Nazi, in fact. Worse than a paedophile, a rapist, a child-murderer … you name it. No one is worse than me because I'm now "the worst man in Britain" according to numerous commentators and not a few Twitterers.

By Tubby Isaacs
Messianic Trees wrote:I'm attending the Rally Against Debt. And that makes me worse than a Nazi, according to the hysterical Left

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyy ... inst-debt/
The Guardian slapped my picture on the front page of its website on Monday and ran a piece about the rally [against debt], identifying me as the leading figure in Britain's burgeoning Tea Party movement. As far as the paper’s army of Left-wing commentators were concerned, this was tantamount to outing me as a Nazi. Worse than a Nazi, in fact. Worse than a paedophile, a rapist, a child-murderer … you name it. No one is worse than me because I'm now "the worst man in Britain" according to numerous commentators and not a few Twitterers.
So when Douglas Murray or whoever says Diane Abbot is the worst person in Britain, that's to be understood as clever overstatement, and "humourless" Abbot can fuck off. But when somebody says that sort of thing about Toby, that's to be understood literally?

By Bones McCoy
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Ha, ha, ha, ha. After Farage and Hannan, Toby was probably the highest profile marcher against debt.

Or he would have been....

http://themediablog.typepad.com/the-med ... 52011.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What true libertarian hasn't felt the urge to run away and join the pirates?
Poppy Day bingo

Taking an early lead... https://twitter.com/Robin[…]

Labour, Generally.

A lot of "Other" there. Labour losing a […]

Whatever gave the government that idea about the T[…]

Angela Rayner

Don't read the Mail comments. I do however think […]