•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
And after crapping all over Labour, Brendan turns his hand to the upcoming Irish gay marriage referendum. Guess which side he's on?

https://twitter.com/JonHolb/status/596971714170515456

(The article is in 'Alive' - the biggest Catholic newspaper in Ireland. Anti homosexual, anti-feminist, anti-EU, claims global warming doesn't exist etc)

Needless to say the Spiked crew have come out in favour of scrapping the Human Rights Act.

Edit: I've just discovered Brendan, together with the lawyer from the Christian Institute, gave evidence to the House of Commons objecting to gay marriage, with Brendan objecting to changes as 'authoritarian'.

Warning: contains scenes of extreme right-winger, Desmond Swayne MP, of all people, defending the rights of elderly married lesbians against Brendan.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 1470000269

Really, how much of a contrarian twat do you have to be to turn up at a Parliamentary committee, as a heterosexual atheist, and object to something which (a) doesn't affect you and (b) doesn't concern you on 'moral' grounds when I could improve the lives of others?

By ezinra
Membership Days Posts
Catkins wrote:Really, how much of a contrarian twat do you have to be to turn up at a Parliamentary committee, as a heterosexual atheist, and object to something which (a) doesn't affect you and (b) doesn't concern you on 'moral' grounds when I could improve the lives of others?
I've seen some pathetic justifications of homophobia over the years, but those are something else! Gay people want the right to get married, but haven't rioted about it; the majority of straight people support them, but not emotively enough for Brendan's liking; therefore the whole thing is a plot by the political elite and Elton John. He also displays an embarrassingly inaccurate understanding of both the history of marriage as an institution, and LGBT history – it is ludicrous to describe the movement for equal marriage as "unhistorical" when it was driven by the experience of discrimination, by changes in sexual practice related to Aids, and by the increased visibility of same-sex couples, many of them parents, failing to lead to the breakdown of civilisation.

I have to ask: why was O'Neill given a platform to air his views to a parliamentary committee? What qualifications does he possess as any kind of authority on marriage or the law? Judging by the way that, according to the record, the committee members openly laughed at him, rolled their eyes, interrupted him, and declared themselves too "bemused" by his nonsense arguments to bother interrogating him, they must have felt the same way.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
ezinra wrote: I have to ask: why was O'Neill given a platform to air his views to a parliamentary committee? What qualifications does he possess as any kind of authority on marriage or the law? Judging by the way that, according to the record, the committee members openly laughed at him, rolled their eyes, interrupted him, and declared themselves too "bemused" by his nonsense arguments to bother interrogating him, they must have felt the same way.
Like Frank Field he will be wooed by the establishment as "a brave voice on the left" "an imaginative thinker" "respected". Also see him name checked in articles: "Even left winger Brendan O'Neill has said.."

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
While these guys pose as oh‑so-superior to the ‘bad’ old stand-ups such as Bernard Manning and Jim Davidson, who came up through the working men’s club circuit before the PC age and who they claim promoted prejudice, the Mitchells, Brigstockes and Lees stir up prejudice, too.

For them, it’s against targets that they think are fair game: fatties who eat junk, people who vote Conservative and those who apparently can’t think in a suitably ‘nuanced’ way.

The result is that this ‘new comedy’ is uglier and more cruel than anything Bernard Manning came out with.
O'Neill is organising the million middle-aged man march to Washington to highlight these ugly prejudices, the smug lefty sneared in predictable fashion.

This came to mind for some reason
People are always asking me: "Alexei, what is alternative new-wave Marxist-Leninst comedy?"
And I say: "Mind you're own business you nosey bastard"

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
Next week: Why can't I call the black bloke next door 'Sambo' anymore? Bring back 'Love Thy Neighbour'.

It's all symptomatic of something very sinister. All dissent will be crushed in Dacre's Brave New World.

Take a look here - it's eerily relevant...

‘Political correctness’ doesn’t hinder free speech – it expands it
If you’re genuinely concerned about “free speech”, take a step back and look at what’s actually happening here: a bunch of college students, on the cusp of finding their voices, being publicly berated by high-profile writers in national publications because they don’t like what they have to say. Are you sure you know who’s silencing whom?
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... e-missouri" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By D.C. Harrison
Membership Days Posts
I've seen Stewart Lee a couple of times and don't recall him making jibes against fat people. In fact, he makes fun of his own less-than-slender frame, saying people see him and go "that Morrissey has let himself go".

However, like David Mitchell, he does see tedious shite in the Daily Mail as fair game to rip the piss out of. Still, perhaps Brendan - who I recall used to have a real (justified) bee in his bonnett about how Catholics were treated in Northern Ireland - would like to be transported to the Embassy Club, 1975, and see how comfortable he'd feel once Manning knew he was of Irish origin.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
This is quite funny. A Daily Mail sponsored rant against modern comedians.

The Mail, and The Right, seem to have become wise to the fact they're a laughing stock. That people are laughing at them, not with them.

The sneering hatred of today's so-called comics for ordinary people is no laughing matter, writes BRENDAN O'NEILL
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... NEILL.html
Inevitably, they’ll maul the Tories, bash the bankers, rage against Ukip and launch a full-on war of words against anyone who has the temerity to criticise the BBC, which is the closest thing these largely godless comics have to a church.
:lol: Toys well and truly out the pram.

Mailites are delighted:
CourseyoucanMalcolm, Salford-On-Sea, United Kingdom, 8 hours ago
Spot on. Thought it was just me who couldn't stand this bunch of smug, lefty, oh so pc group, who are just NOT funny.
+696 -131
john, milton keynes, United Kingdom, 8 hours ago
come back the real comedians sod the pc brigade
+451 -66
Bristolbeau, Bristol, United Kingdom, 8 hours ago
There's no such thing as a funny, politically correct comedian...political correctness takes the humour out of everything..
+317 -13

It's funny seeing people like Frankie Boyle accused of being 'PC'....
Labour, Generally.

I suspect this has come about becasue the trigger […]

Mark Francois MP

I would love to know how both the BBC and ITV ju[…]

GE 2020

You've a knack for getting right to the heart of t[…]

The Mail & Climate Change

Mailites fling abuse at a 16 year old girl again[…]