•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Whether it’s Mock The Week, Have I Got News For You or The Big Fat Quiz Of The Year, you pretty well know what every guest is going to say before they’ve even opened their mouths.
I have sympathy for that, it seems to be the same bunch who I believe have the same well-connected agent. There's an annoying Canadian woman comedian who keeps appearing for reasons unknown who I met once while half cut at a stand up open mic night to test out material. I gave her a helpful critique of the shortcomings of her act which I recall she took very badly.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The latest development in this topsy-turvy landscape is Brexiters are fuming and angry (I know that's part of their DNA anyway) instead of dancing in the streets while remainers are opening the popcorn. Windbag populist O'Neill is seething at the hoity-toity elites' disregard for the will of the people. Or Brexit Tories who are now in government and have to live in the real world to be more accurate
Betraying Brexit: the revolt of the elites against the people
Why is everyone so chilled out about the threats to Brexit? Why isn’t there more public fury over the plotting of lords and academics and experts to stymie Brexit and thwart the will of 17.4m people? In all the years I’ve been writing about politics, I cannot remember a time when democracy has been treated with as much disgust, with as much naked, Victorian-era elitism, as it is being today. And yet we’re all bizarrely mellow. We’re going about our business as if everything is normal, as if the elites aren’t right now, this very minute, in revolt against the people. We need to wake up.
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/08/be ... 1470290444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Delusion and denial isn't confined to Corbynites the Brexiters have just won an Alexei Tspiras referendum; they sold a fantasy deal that never was and never will be on the table.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:The latest development in this topsy-turvy landscape is Brexiters are fuming and angry (I know that's part of their DNA anyway) instead of dancing in the streets while remainers are opening the popcorn. Windbag populist O'Neill is seething at the hoity-toity elites' disregard for the will of the people. Or Brexit Tories who are now in government and have to live in the real world to be more accurate
Betraying Brexit: the revolt of the elites against the people
Why is everyone so chilled out about the threats to Brexit? Why isn’t there more public fury over the plotting of lords and academics and experts to stymie Brexit and thwart the will of 17.4m people? In all the years I’ve been writing about politics, I cannot remember a time when democracy has been treated with as much disgust, with as much naked, Victorian-era elitism, as it is being today. And yet we’re all bizarrely mellow. We’re going about our business as if everything is normal, as if the elites aren’t right now, this very minute, in revolt against the people. We need to wake up.
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/08/be ... 1470290444" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Delusion and denial isn't confined to Corbynites the Brexiters have just won an Alexei Tspiras referendum; they sold a fantasy deal that never was and never will be on the table.

"In all the years I’ve been writing about politics, I cannot remember a time ....."

Yet more evidence that O'Contrary has mindbleached his time as a Revolutionary Communist Comrade, during the Thatcher years.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
O'Neill is turning his expertise to international diplomacy. Can someone cut and paste this from the Spectator as I'm out of free articles. These Brexit twats are really throwing their toys out of the pram.
Who does Jean-Claude Junker think he is?
https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/w ... ink-he-is/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Here y'go Ian
Jean-Claude Juncker: what a nasty piece of work. There aren’t many politicians I’d say that about. Even most of those I disagree with strike me as being pretty decent people. Theresa May might be a petty authoritarian, but she isn’t sinister. Jeremy Corbyn is wrong about everything, and stuck politically and sartorially in 1983, but he seems a nice enough guy. But Juncker — it is still rare that such a noxious character, such a scheming operator, such an arrogant arse, such a jumped-up, poundshop Machiavelli, darkens the corridors of politics. He’s the worst.

All of Juncker’s awful traits were on display at the weekend, in the spat over his dinner with May last week. Details about the dinner were leaked to the German newspaper FAZ by Juncker’s minions in the European Commission. Proof, if any were needed, that only the most tragic, blinkered EU-loving naif would trust the EC, that distant oligarchy, that byzantine bureaucratic machine, making laws we Euro-plebs must live by even though none of us voted for these people. In leaking about the dinner in order to make Juncker look like a god-king and May like a bumbling fool, the EC has signalled its untrustworthiness, and its intention to make the Brexit negotiations as difficult as possible.

If the lesson you have taken from the leaks is that May is misguided, you weren’t paying attention. Even these leaks designed to make Juncker look good actually reveal what an infinite vacuum of principle and decency he is. Whether he was whipping out a massive pile of paper to show how complex the EU entry deal with Croatia is — like a latter-day Cecil Rhodes saying, ‘This is what nations must do to please me’ — or telling May that Brexit ‘cannot be a success’, Juncker comes off as immovable and autocratic, far more interested in maintaining his grey grip on the levers of EU power than respecting the will of 17.4m pesky Britons.

Worst of all was the revelation that right after dinner he phoned Angela Merkel to fill her in. He told her May is ‘deluding herself’ and ‘living in another galaxy’. It’s not surprising May seems so alien, so otherworldly to Juncker: after all, she was at the dinner effectively to say, ‘The people voted for Brexit and we will give it to them’, and to the likes of Juncker, such an attachment to democracy seems quaint and perverted. Like a telltale school pupil, the playground grass everyone loathes, Juncker was filling in his headmistress Merkel about May’s naughtiness even before he’d got back to his hotel. (Or is he the headmaster and Merkel the swottish pupil? It’s hard to tell.)

That Juncker prefers duplicity to diplomacy, that he can arrogantly insist the British people’s democratic choice ‘cannot be a success’, should not come as a surprise. This is a man with an acute allergy to the whole idea of democracy. ‘I’m ready to be insulted as being insufficiently democratic… I am for [having] secret, dark debates’, he once said. He is contemptible of the idea that ordinary people should have a major say in politics. On the 2005 French referendum on the Lisbon Treaty, he said: ‘If it’s a Yes, we will say “on we go”. If it’s a No, we will say “we continue”.’ It was a No. More than 15m people, 55 percent of the French electorate, rejected Lisbon. And, as promised, Juncker said ‘we continue’ — he enforced the treaty anyway under the guise of the EU Constitution.

Juncker is a fan of lying, too. Yes, the EU Constitution would lead to ‘transfers of sovereignty’ from individual nations to the EU, ‘but would I be intelligent to draw the attention of public opinion to this fact?’, he once asked. Sometimes EU deal-making must be protected from public scrutiny, he said. ‘When it becomes serious, you have to lie.’ This is who, or rather what, we’re dealing with: a man and commission that think nothing of swatting aside mass democratic votes, who prefer the shadows of committee rooms to the light of democratic debate, and who will lie to get their way. As I say, if it’s May’s naivety you’re worried about, you need to have a word with yourself: the other side is immeasurably worse.

Juncker’s nastiness is only a physical manifestation of Brussels itself. Power-hungry, deceitful, dismissive of democracy: the nature of the EU is horribly personified in Juncker. What’s truly alarming is not that Juncker behaves like this — he always has — but that so many in the British commentariat are lapping up his leaks and laughing along with him at the stupidity of May and by extension of those who chose Brexit. It is a testament to the decadence of the media class, to their distance from everyday opinion, that they prefer the underhand antics of Brexit-loathing Juncker over May’s effort to represent the will of the majority. They hope Juncker will punish British voters for daring to hold a different opinion to theirs.

And now some in the media are saying: ‘See how hard these negotiations are going to be for Britain? Are you still glad you voted Brexit?’ Yes. Yes, yes, yes. Never gladder. The meanness and ruthlessness and cynicism of Juncker and his team right now remind us precisely why we voted to leave the EU: because it is an opaque enemy of democracy that has no place in a decent, progressive 21st-century Europe.

edit: I don't think I've ever read anything by this bloke before. I don't think I'll bother in the future. What a crock of shit.
By Catkins
Membership Days Posts
He can arrogantly insist the British people’s democratic choice ‘cannot be a success’,
I love how he thinks these things are mutually exclusive - it's quite possible to accept that Brexit was won by a majority vote, but that it can't be anything other than a total disaster.

Mind you, this must be his first ever article in which he doesn't blame it all on a feminist plot to emasculate working class men.

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
bluebellnutter wrote:Hitler won the 1933 election. Not many Germans these days claim that was a success in the long term.

Not many admitted to voting for Uncle Addy.

A recent opinion poll* among those who voted in the first Labour leadership election now shows a 72% win by Burnham with Corbyn coming in last.

* I might have just made this up.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Not a happy man is he?
But Juncker — it is still rare that such a noxious character, such a scheming operator, such an arrogant arse, such a jumped-up, poundshop Machiavelli, darkens the corridors of politics. He’s the worst.

And he can still run rings around May after a couple of bottles. If O'Neill thinks that was an example of scheming political game playing he's going to be on a steep learning curve.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:Not a happy man is he?
But Juncker — it is still rare that such a noxious character, such a scheming operator, such an arrogant arse, such a jumped-up, poundshop Machiavelli, darkens the corridors of politics. He’s the worst.

And he can still run rings around May after a couple of bottles. If O'Neill thinks that was an example of scheming political game playing he's going to be on a steep learning curve.
What a funny old election:
Communists not running candidates and advising their handful of supporters to vote Labour.
Revolutionary Communists backing May and the Tories to the hilt.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
That article surely amounts to a shocking libel on Juncker. I know Cameron didn't like him, but fuck a duck, this is character assassination.

I don't suppose M. Juncker will bother consulting mes amis savants, mind. A Daily Mail hack is too low-life and insignificant.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Juncker hasn't even fired a shot but is crying out for May and Davis to get real
For nearly a year now the British government has been acting like a drunk man in a bar trying to start a fight with a guy twice his size. Whenever one of his sober friends tells him to maybe tone it down a little, he shouts at him to shut up. Whenever they say he's in no fit state for this, he starts pushing them around and calling them names. But now the time for mouthing off is over and he has to actually fight. http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2017/05 ... looks-like" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Labour, Generally.

‘Deselect Norwich’ was among the amusi[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

Anyhoo, worth a read : https://www.commondreams.[…]

Sad Faces in Local Papers

Northern Irish local newspapers are generally quit[…]

If.