•  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
MisterMuncher wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:55 pm
I'd prefer he didn't quote the Ra, tbh.
McClean has been doing this for years.

It's his choice and no one will ever convince me otherwise and, as a journeyman footballer with a third rate side, it is nice to see him find some kind of celebrity amongst the delinquent children than even the ghost of Martin McGuinness left for dead.

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
He's actively hurting the cause of people seeking legacy investigation with that bullshit. If he wants to act like he gives a fuck about the crimes of the British army, maybe he could shut the fuck up and stop tying it all to the IRA.

Funny how I can manage to explain why I don't wear a poppy over the head of such thing without needing to involved them.
spoonman, Killer Whale liked this

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
My local town is doing a parade this year. A torch light parade. I believe it's a new thing. Roads are closed and big screens will be dotted around the high street to show the parade and the lighting of some beacon.

Personally, I think it's bullshit. The problem I'm having is articulating this to people without sounding like some sort of cunt. Most of the local community are simply nice people and they see this event as "a lovely and fitting thing to do". Who am I to start telling them it's mawkish bollocks and there was no need for it 20 years ago so why suddenly do it now?

It's a difficult one. There is nothing inherently 'wrong' with doing this but at the same time I find the whole thing cringe worthy, tacky, try-hard and just unnecessary. Same with the huge poppies now being tied to every single lamp post and vertical pole of any sort for miles around.

I suppose I should (and will) just let them get on with it and keep my counsel on the subject. I'm just a bit surprised there aren't more people who see the issue with it and that it isn't some 'far left extremist' gripe.
By Andy McDandy
But to the armchair generals, it's real life Who Dares Wins with real guns, and the chance to salivate over "slotting a raghead" beats any reason.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (169.77 KiB) Viewed 2675 times

Many of the comments under this article tell us what we already know. To many of these chest thumping poppy enthusiasts, all that this is really about is 'sticking it to the snowflakes'. They don't give a shit about the meaning of it. They're just using it as a pawn in their political point scoring.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:32 pm
War is politics by other means and if you don't like soldiers being killed spend a bit more time working out how you stop geopolitics failing. And use your vote wisely.
Harry Patch, the last survivor of World War 1, who died about 9 or 10 years ago expressed a similar view, that war was futile and a waste of young lives
By Andy McDandy
I'm reminded of a discussion programme from the 80s, where alternative comedians* were pitted against the old guard comics** in anticipation of a row. Despite the best efforts of the host, everyone found common ground and expressed admiration for each other, while turning on the lazy club comics such as Bernard Manning.

Nobody could object to a heartfelt expression of remembrance. It's the cunts, as said, hijacking it to act out their hard man fantasies.

*Stephen Fry and Harry Enfield were two.

**Among others, Barry Cryer and Eric Sykes.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
100% right. No one has a problem with the British Legion raising money for ex servicemen etc, and paying a tribute to the dead of world wars 1 and 2. The problem is the hi jacking of the event in recent years by right wing twats.

It seems to be going down an increasingly Americanised route too, with the parades and so on, mentioned by STM, and the poppies on football shirts. Incidentally, Manchester United’s Naminja Matic has also declined to wear one, for the reason that his village in Serbia was bombed in 1999, and it, understandably, terrified him as a child and he does not want to be reminded of war

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
I guess the tabloids can take a lot of blame for the increased 'showiness' of Remembrance Day. This thread started due to the way the tabloids would bleat on about poppies being banned, that the "PC brigade" won't let people display poppies etc. Now look at where we are at. That accusation can now not be made at all (except for the usual twats crying about a footballer or newsreader now wearing a poppy).

What we see now is the culmination of years and years of tabloid wailing about the poppy being suppressed by lefty forces. Now people, companies and institutions fall over themselves to be the bestest poppy celebrators ever. Many out of fear of being seen as disrespecting or not sufficiently recognising Remembrance Day and being plastered all over the Daily Mail or Sun for it. The tabloids have their victory and now it's got out of control.

My prediction is that it will peak at some point soon and the thing that brings it back down to earth is the realisation that people are cashing in and exploiting the poppy. Selling tat and not contributing to the British Legion. Some columnists will raise this concern and the whole thing may start to get reined in and the new bogymen will be those who are trying to cash in on Remembrance Day rather than those who aren't celebrating it enough.

By Daley Mayle
Years ago the BBC used to get a kicking from The Mail if any of their presenters weren't wearing the poppy. Someone in the BBC must have sent out a directive and everyone was wearing them. Even the dog on Blue Peter. The Mail had a really good think and then started kicking the BBC for wearing the poppy too early. This went on for a year or so and in the end another directive must have been sent out stating the poppy must not be worn until the launch day of the annual Royal British Legion appeal. Job done? Nah, the Mail went for anyone wearing an ostentatious version of the poppy and gave 'em a right good twatting.
The Mail & Climate Change

16-year-old Greta Thunberg is a bit of a rising st[…]

Unless you drive like a c**t, lowering the suspe[…]

Meanwhile, in Canada

The smallest province in Canada in terms of area a[…]

Which has what to do with your claim that "Ma[…]