•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It's important not to compartmentalize any given war - they don't exist in isolation and to take an example, WW2 (at least in Europe) was a case of unfinished business from the aftermath of the first war, and a case of setting the stage for a new world order. Indeed, there's a growing belief in some parts of the world that the importance placed on the two great wars is in part because the main players were all white.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:32 am
It's important not to compartmentalize any given war - they don't exist in isolation and to take an example, WW2 (at least in Europe) was a case of unfinished business from the aftermath of the first war, and a case of setting the stage for a new world order. Indeed, there's a growing belief in some parts of the world that the importance placed on the two great wars is in part because the main players were all white.
Yeah nothing at all to do with their importance and influence on global affairs it was because the main players were white.

By Big Arnold
Membership Days Posts
'Fantasist' who sparked fury after laying wreath while wearing a George Cross and SAS beret insists he IS a war hero despite officials says he never won a medal and his friends claiming he bought his uniform off eBay
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -hero.html
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
That's partly the point. In particular the Sino-Japanese theatre is reduced to a footnote. The Burmese and Pacific campaigns are viewed from a British or American perspective. To a degree that's totally understandable, but when you hear Asian or African academics complain that their countries only seemingly becoming relevant when a white person had the good grace to get killed there, it's hard not to concede that they've got a point.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
mr angry manchester wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:53 pm
All I’ve got to say about Poppy Day bingo now is “thank fuck it’s all over for another year”

What awaits us next year?
Poppies as big as a Volkswagen..
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Indeed. Dad told me he was in the sea at Blackpool the day war broke out on the 3rd September that year. Mum was at a friends house on the way home from school and Gran was, apparently, stood at the door waiting for her to get back in case she got kidnapped by the Germans on the way back.

By Boiler
mr angry manchester wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:01 pm
Indeed. Dad told me he was in the sea at Blackpool the day war broke out on the 3rd September that year. Mum was at a friends house on the way home from school and Gran was, apparently, stood at the door waiting for her to get back in case she got kidnapped by the Germans on the way back.
When it was the 50th anniversary of the outbreak of WW2 I recorded much of the programming on the radio that day to listen to later. I think I eventually listened to it about twenty or more years on. Why, you might ask?

Because the day before, my father died.

I couldn't bring myself to listen to it, but when I eventually did I was surprised to learn that the BBC had broadcast Chamberlain's speech in full, rather than the usual clip of the speech that ends "...this country is at war with Germany."

Why do I get the feeling that in some quarters there will be 'celebrations' to tie our exit from the EU with this? :roll:
The Northern Irish thread

Brexit poisons everything it touches but the motiv[…]

The Israel Defense Forces responded to Morris dem[…]

Tony Blair (more Marmite than Messiah)

Yeah. Fucking awful by Blair. It seems The Gu[…]

Meanwhile in America

Of the available candidates (so far) she'd be my[…]