•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Whether tabloid, mid-market or broadsheet falling readership and ad revenue competition is seeing to their decline. The future is bright
Telegraph reveals 2016 profit plunge helping explain paywall move and chief executive's exit

Operating profit for Telegraph Media Group is said to have dropped by a third for the year to the end of 2016 to £32.2m, from £48.3m in 2015.

Turnover dropped to £295.5m from £314.6m.

TMG’s profit drop is largely driven by a 12 per cent decline in advertising revenue.

Despite a growing overall UK advertising market last year, many news publishers saw their share of revenue decline as marketers spent their money instead with the likes of Google and Facebook.

The two US giants are currently hoovering up around 80 per cent of the growth in the UK advertising market. http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/telegraph ... exec-exit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:Whether tabloid, mid-market or broadsheet falling readership and ad revenue competition is seeing to their decline. The future is bright
Telegraph reveals 2016 profit plunge helping explain paywall move and chief executive's exit

Operating profit for Telegraph Media Group is said to have dropped by a third for the year to the end of 2016 to £32.2m, from £48.3m in 2015.

Turnover dropped to £295.5m from £314.6m.

TMG’s profit drop is largely driven by a 12 per cent decline in advertising revenue.

Despite a growing overall UK advertising market last year, many news publishers saw their share of revenue decline as marketers spent their money instead with the likes of Google and Facebook.

The two US giants are currently hoovering up around 80 per cent of the growth in the UK advertising market. http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/telegraph ... exec-exit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hopkins was presenting this as a major triumph on her twitter (More sales than the guardian or something).#

It's an insight into how people who try to prove anything with statistics will be operating post brexit.

e.g. "Best quarter's growth this year" -(tr. 5% fall in output, not the 12% fall of the previous quarter)

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Corbyn is now a power-crazed megalomaniac for wearing a tie
A tie is a mark of ambition. Jeremy Corbyn alarmed me by wearing one as it showed he craved power
CHARLES MOORE

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07 ... ed-craved/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no philosopher but isn't common sense and group think the same thing?
Grenfell Tower, MPs' expenses and abuse cover-ups all show how groupthink can overwhelm common sense
JULIET SAMUEL http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07 ... roupthink/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bones McCoy wrote:I see they've got Nigel Dodds MP as a columnist.
"I read that builders at the Vatican have to wear hard hits its PC Popery gawn mad. And if that Argie lefty thinks he's having the Falklands..."
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
They want a docile herd, whose minds are rendered incapable of thought by being fed as relentless diet of trash TV, celebrity bollocks, tabloid lies etc.

Render them inert and the political/business elite can dump on them. Go to university, or become otherwise aware of what is going on, you will be able to think logically.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
I never went to uni either. In a sense, they probably dislike the people who didn't go to uni, but are able to see through the smokescreen of bollocks that the media bombard us with even more, as we are the living proof that the ministry of information is failing
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
It's more of the war on aspiration. Not for the likes of you plebs.

There were shades of it when Littlejohn did his heavily derivative memoir. "I could have gone to clever school and uni but then remembered that all students are poofs and hairies and I couldn't be having that, so I stayed where I was comfortable, big fish in tiny pond."

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:They've got a problem with uneducated oiks like me who never went to Uni then, haven't they?
I'd hazard you'll be the subject to the corollary.
The left will continue to make progress while too few attend National Service.
By PaulOnBooks
Membership Days Posts
Hallelujah! Finally, we have an equality programme that benefits men
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking ... efits-men/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Author Martin Daubney
So with a supreme application of politically-correct-free logic, Coventry is launching a fund of £30,000 to help 10 men in subjects where they are grossly under-represented, including nursing, occupational therapy, physiotherapy and midwifery.

Funded by the National Express Foundation Group, – yes, the coach people – the bursary will give 10 men £1,000 in each year of their degree.

While we are well used to a tsunami of government-backed, ticker-tape, positive action programmes to encourage women into 'male' areas such as STEM and engineering, this is believed to be a UK-first for men.

First, hats off to Coventry Uni and National Express, who are stepping in where even central government fears to tread thanks to silly accusations of sexism (memo to critics: helping men does not harm women, nor vice-versa).

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Is there a bigger arsehole on the planet than a middle aged white man complaining about discrimination?

Meanwhile cheating diving Johnny Foreigner is up to his old tricks again
Britain's Brexit negotiators denied water by Brussels during divorce talks, civil servant claims

The anonymous official said a lack of water available during talks may have been evidence of “unsporting tactics to get the upper hand”.

They also outlined the scale of “paranoia” within the British camp, highlighting fears of phone tapping and a ban on the wearing of smart watches to prevent leaks.

The account comes after The Telegraph revealed David Davis is carrying his Brexit documents and electronic equipment in a briefcase fitted with a Faraday cage to protect against hacking.

The civil servant wrote: “Yet the most significant bit of feedback to emerge from the slightly combative early meetings is also perhaps the most elemental one. Water. Or to be precise, the lack of it.”

They suggest that “Johnny Foreigner had clearly attempted some unsporting tactics to get the upper hand”.

“This was clearly not a perfectly understandable oversight, but a piece of outright treachery,” they said. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/08 ... rce-talks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Flybmi collapses, blaming Brexit uncertainty […]

Just when you think Yaxley-Lennon couldn’t b[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

It doesn't but it can be a nuisance to Labour.

The Tories, Generally

Exclusive: Tory Party 'In Denial' Over Islamopho[…]