For all print & online journalism
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
We are officially four days and counting away from Lord Leveson making his findings public. Cameron and a close-knit coterie of equally interest parties will have a sneek-peek 24 hours earlier which they will be able to digest, spin and leak to their chums while waiting for the Dover Sole. But the ramifications go much further.

This place has been vocal in its criticism of the press and not slow to comment. Whether Brian turns out to be a knight in shining armour or a toothless tiger will hinge upon the initial report, its recommendations and how the fall-out settles over the coming months.

After today, Sunday's papers, it seems that even those who behave with a modicum of decency are reluctant to endorse statutory regulation while the usual suspects are behaving as, well, usual. Turkeys aren't voting for Christmas, anti-Semitic smears have become the free gift to savour with the Happy Meal of self-interested bleating and offshore oligarchs are lecturing us on our inalienable to free populism.

Personally, I am wholly behind a metaphorical shoot-to-kill policy and believe that the Last Chance Saloon ran dry with the last pint of Double Diamond. But, I know that I will need to amend my stance as the game becomes played out. For now, we can debate the fat points and the fine points but that takes precious little from the long dead and largely forgotten Eugene Debs.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Why on earth are people so afraid of statutory regulation?

The old answer, I suppose - vested interests. But every so often, vested interests need to be taken on, confronted, and told to get the fuck out of it. I'd suggest this is one of these times. Deeply unfortunate that we currently have a government that serves vested interests entirely.
By Big Rob
I have to hold my hands up here and say I don't think Leveson will change much really.

The problem is that there are too many people who can be played like puppets on strings by the right wing media and that will continue.

What I expect to stop is the behaviour of journalists that hacked phones of murdered teenagers. That is a positive.

However as for Dacre's drip? As it has been eloquently put, then that will, sadly, continue.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Hmmmm.
Asked whether he had secured agreement for his plan, which he hopes will see off the requirement for a regulatory system backed up by statutory powers, Hunt said this was the case. "I've had one-to-one meetings with all publishers, who cover thousands of editors," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme, saying this covered local and regional titles as well as the national press. "They have all said they would sign up. This would be the first time ever that we have a binding in to a legal system through contracts."
Including Desmond? If Desmond is prepared to sign up to it, given he refused to be bound by the existing PCC, then it's probably fucking worthless.
By Big Rob
Daley Mayle wrote:
Big Rob wrote:
Abernathy wrote:Why on earth are people so afraid of statutory regulation?
Regulation of the press?

Because that restricts freedom of expression....

Ofcom seems to work OK with the broadcast industry.
It does, however, have enemies in the Tory party.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/06/cameron_ofcom/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Freedom of speech, to the right at least, means freedom to bias public opinion to the rich man's view from the loudest transmitters.

By Messianic Trees
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:Hmmmm.

Including Desmond?
It seems not:
There is, behind the scenes, an almost comic attempt to get all the newspaper groups to sign up to some sort of statement on regulatory reform. But it would be easier to get 10 cats to sashay down Oxford Street in a straight line.

The Express Newspapers mogul, Richard Desmond, can't bear the Telegraph Media Group factotum, Lord (Guy) Black, a key architect of the industry's plan for beefed up self-regulation. So any letter that is sent to him from this camp – which also includes the Press Complaints Commission (PCC) chairman, Lord Hunt, and the Daily Mail editor in chief, Paul Dacre – doesn't have Black's name on it.

Such is the suspicion of Dacre that editors and owners of what used to be known as the broadsheets are reluctant to be seen sharing the same piece of paper. So his lieutenant, Peter Wright, does his best to give the impression that everybody else has signed up when trying to persuade others to sign up.

Meanwhile, the editors of the Financial Times, Independent, London Evening Standard and this newspaper have signed their own letter instead. But there is talk that Hunt wanted to put his pen to that too.

It is tempting to portray this as some sort of Ruritanian civil war, a hopelessly confused conflict that is of no consequence as morning commuters switch from being print readers to smartphone and tablet gamers. But underlying it is a very real battle for power. In one corner is the Mail/Telegraph alliance that has long dominated the PCC (traditionally supported by News International) and which is fronted by Black, that consummate Conservative insider.

If there is a conspiracy to run Britain, or rather the media part of it, it is not to be found with the obscure former FT chairman Sir David Bell, but here in the nexus of relations between Black, Michael Howard's one-time spin doctor (who used to holiday with Rebekah Brooks); Dacre, Britain's most powerful tabloid editor; the Telegraph owners the Barclays, a secretive family of plutocrats who can happily text prime ministers advice; and the publicity-shy Mail proprietor, Viscount Rothermere, who politely dines with them. It would be interesting, too, for Cameron to tell us on Thursday who from this group has been lobbying him in person over the past three months.

In the other camp, of course, is whatever's left of the liberal conspiracy – the FT, Independent and Guardian – whose critics will be quick to note they have the smallest circulations of the national dailies (as if that invalidates their opinion). And perhaps Richard Desmond, although, in truth he is in nobody's corner.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
Field and Hoey siding with the Tories again I see. Isn't it about time those two were fucked off?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... e-MPs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
In fairness, seeing a Liberal cosying up to his Tory mates comes as no great surprise these days. But as soon as I saw that 'politicians of all three major parties' were involved, I just knew Field and Hoey would be in there.

That's the God-Emperor of Mankind, and I claim my […]

UKIP

Now that is satire

The Mail & Climate Change

Bulb? I had you pegged as a "bulbs go in the […]

The Brexit Party

Either the YouGov poll yesterday was a massive out[…]