•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
So what happens now?

Will the titles get to select their favourite regulator (in the manner of academy schools looking for the most generous exam boards)?

Will IMPRESS (Don't know a lot about it yet) have a specific logo (like fairtrade or the red tractor) that signed up-publications can stick by their masthead?

Anybody in te know who can assist us in better understanding this?

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Max Mosley's Press 'watchdog' wins official backing ... despite having no major papers on board
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... cking.html

For some reason I thought a new press regulator would have public support even among Mailites. They quite often have a dig at the Mail's techniques when it's not involving immigrants of Lefties. Clearly not, but I suppose when you paint it the way the Mail does then they'll toe the line.
Siwn, Switzerland, Switzerland, 3 hours ago
This is a real blow to the the freedom of information. This is handing over censorship to a so called charity movement financed by a group of rich people. Their idea that they are protecting millions of UK citizens is far from the truth as the majority of the UK citizens have nothing to hide. These are a group of people telling us to do as they say and not as they do.
+21 -2
Paulm69, Orgrimmar, United Kingdom, 3 hours ago
Been thinking it for a while..the media are muzzled..you can see it in the journalism a lot..even the type of soundbite stories they do now..straight from the stars publicist......
+14 -2
Joe, Ohio, 6 hours ago
A press regulator sounds like something out of the U.S.S.R. or Communist China.
+12 -3
Gnarly, Prestatyn, United Kingdom, 3 hours ago
About time a regulator that isn't controlled by the press was brought in
+3 -14

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
They and The Sun keep implying Max will be sitting there giving a thumbs up or thumbs down on each case that gets bought to him. In reality, it'll have fuck all to do with him but I doubt their more avid readers will bother to educate themselves on how it works.

I'm looking forward to the editorials. The Sun's will be brash and full of lies but I think Dacres will be one of the most frothing, outraged and rabid he's ever done.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Remember him at the enquiry? There's a frequently used photo on Zelo Street of him sitting there, looking absolutely mortified that someone dare ask him to justify himself.

As I've said before, print journalism is one of the few workplaces untouched by modern employment law, and editors - particularly on the tabloids - still see themselves as feudal barons.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
I'd have more respect for them if they just embraced their feeling of superiority and immunity from any sort of scrutiny.

Instead they dress it up as concern for their readers access to the truth, and spin the strawman argument that this is against press freedom when really it's simply against the press lying and breaking the law. Which is exactly the line they'll go with when the editorials and columnist attack dogs start appearing. I just wish the readers weren't so fucking stupid and actually saw through it.
By Andy McDandy
Or indeed if their much vaunted free press used its power to uncover genuine scandal - abuse of power, fingers in the till, real actual villains getting away with it. Instead it's wasted on salacious gossip, who shagged who. More bread and circuses, crap that they tell their readers they want.

Then there's the 'what about the local papers?' angle. Rubbish. The reason local papers are drying up is because of this little thing called the internet. The freesheets especially are powered by advertising revenue, and that's all gone to Gumtree. And besides, I didn't see much mourning in the papers when the Independent went under, so spare me all the faux concerns about your fellow 'newsmen' (still trying to romanticise the business).

Bottom line is as follows. Quality papers, TV and radio broadcasters, the accursed internet, and plenty of foreign news providers manage to operate within professional and ethical guideline frameworks, and still produce lively copy, good investigative journalism, and solid scoops. What does it say about the British tabloid press that it has to have complete carte blanche to even vaguely function?

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
Wednesday, 26 October 2016
IMPRESS Is Recognised
However, and here we encounter a significantly-sized however, the next task for those wanting to see a system of press regulation that gives the 99% plus of the population who cannot afford to take the press to court - IPSO does little more than wipe the newspapers' collective backsides, so cannot be taken seriously as a means for progressing complaints - is a greater one still, and that is to persuade the Government to commence Section 40 of the Crime and Courts Act 2013.
http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... nised.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
IPSO respond to criticisms of Assistant Sun Editor sitting on the IPSO board ruling in favour of The Sun and then effectively mocking the complainant in The Sun.

IPSO
The views expressed by Trevor Kavanagh after the ruling on Fatima Manji were in a personal capacity and do not represent the view of IPSO.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
It appears Austria does it better than we do.

Austrian newspaper editor faces hate crime charges over column calling migrants 'testosterone driven Syrians'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rians.html

Imagine if he'd called them cockroaches and called for gunboats to blow them out the water, among many other things.
By Andy McDandy
Whippingdale asking us to think of the poor papers with their falling circulations.

If any other business was dying a slow death like this, the Tory response would be to put it out of its misery.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 3 hours ago

Govt to "take stock" over whether to press ahead with Part 2 of Leveson inquiry into ties between press and police
norman smith @BBCNormanS 1 hour ago

Govt announce public consultation into key element of Leveson inquiry over press regulation

By Daley Mayle
Here you go, an advance look at our Home Secretary's decision in a few months time...

It was all a long time ago, there were no casualties and such inquiries cost [____INSERT MADE UP NUMBER HERE___]. Times have changed and the police and the press have vastly improved their governance procedures. It was a difficult decision but on balance I believe that there is no advantage to society in holding another inquiry. Is that OK Mr Murdoch, Mr Dacre?
The Tories, Generally

https://twitter.com/simonapcliff/status/1197297725[…]

2019 General Election

Here's how you do it, journo's... https://twitter[…]

Newsnight

https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/11972329610[…]

The LibDems, generally

holds out hope of govt of national unity To be […]