For all print & online journalism
:sunglasses: 69.2 % 😟 30.8 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By lord_kobel
Membership Days Posts
I'm not the one saying people "get off" on pointing out that racists are racists, nor am I the one defending said racists. What part of my post did you actually have a problem with, originally? Was it the part where I pointed out that Dawkins is ignoring a religion having an actual undue influence so he can be a prick about muslims or was it when I pointed out that even if he thinks several religions are shit, the fact that he only regularly calls out one is pretty damning?
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Kobel, I see you.

I don't know you but I've met you. Holier than thou. One step further to the left than anyone else in the room. How dare you think about this while that's going on? Even if the power of the local Labour branch to bring down Trump is slightly limited, and we need some support for the local library. But that's not a cause. Not glamorous enough. Not enough ink.

It's all about winning the immediate fight for you. Make another person look weak, silly, daft. Destructive, not constructive. Win the immediate fight. Be holier than thou.

Crucify people for not being on message. Whatever the message is. You're a fucking Hammond. And I fucking see you.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:11 pm
Kobel, I see you.

I don't know you but I've met you. Holier than thou. One step further to the left than anyone else in the room. How dare you think about this while that's going on? Even if the power of the local Labour branch to bring down Trump is slightly limited, and we need some support for the local library. But that's not a cause. Not glamorous enough. Not enough ink.

It's all about winning the immediate fight for you. Make another person look weak, silly, daft. Destructive, not constructive. Win the immediate fight. Be holier than thou.

Crucify people for not being on message. Whatever the message is. You're a fucking Hammond. And I fucking see you.
Still could be worse, he could be a pretentious pseudo-intellectual.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
Let me explain this to you and Kobel.

Dawkins is a profound atheist. He dislikes religion with a passion. All religion. (I'm with him there).
However, as a product of British culture he is steeped in Christian imagery, music and architecture. He finds some of this very pleasing, despite the religious aspects. I'm with him there, too. Think how much impoverished we would be if we demolished all the cathedrals.

However, when he looks at Islam he finds the call to prayer to be intrusive (which it is, or else there would be no point to it) in two ways. Firstly the noise (I don't find it aurally interesting, either) and secondly the obligation which religion places upon its followers, which denies them the full use of their independence and intelligence. There is much in both Christian and Islamic teaching that is wonderful and soars above the mundane to take the follower to heights of moral and ethical greatness. But there is also abuse - not just child abuse, but the abuse of the faithful in Ireland and other places over so many years, Wahabbism and the treatment of women, infidels and foreigners, sectarianism, intolerance and control in both faiths.

I wonder if either of you two offended geniuses could tell me how that is racist?

I don't like the call to prayer (for both of those reasons) but I do like the Taj Mahal. I hate Christian subservience but I do love Durham Cathedral. I have heard plainsong in an abbey and thought it was one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard, but at the same time knew that the same church was condoning the abuse of children.

Life is a bit more complicated than either of your 'philosophies'. It would behove you well to think a bit before you simply try to prove your sanctity with bluster and insult. What did Jesus call that? Ah yes, 'whited sepulchres'. Shiny on the outside, but dead and corruptible inside.
lambswool liked this

Unless you drive like a c**t, lowering the suspe[…]

Meanwhile, in Canada

The smallest province in Canada in terms of area a[…]

Which has what to do with your claim that "Ma[…]

What, hold the tories' dicks for them?