•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
A joke of a website.

http://www.thecanary.co/2016/03/30/mome ... ent-story/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He didn't use the word Jew therefore he can't be anti-semitic. Here's the thing if you go around saying Israel is involved with ISIS, then that is anti-semitic as it feeds into conspiracy theories of Jews secretly controlling events. Which is a common anti-semitic trope.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
We have discussed conspiracy theorists enough before to know that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. The accusation that Israel controls ISIS does sound dodgy to me but he probably isn't an anti-Semite just an idiot lacking critical thinking trying to find easy answers to inexplicable events. But the idea that the Israeli government propaganda machine has it in for Corbyn for his pro-Palestinian line and are stirring this shit is a conspiracy theory I'm prepared to consider.

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Once again I feel moved to point out criticism of Israeli policy is not, despite claims by Israel to the contrary, anti-Semitic. They might choose to define themselves by Judaism, but they are a state just like any other and open to the same criticisms. Just as it is perfectly fine to criticise Islamic State as being murderous fucknuggets without being Islampohobic.
By Andy McDandy
Quite right. When someone uses a protected characteristic to shield themselves from valid criticism, they become a cunt. Just as if one used a dead baby as proof, against all the contrary evidence, that one cared. It is perfectly possible to be a Jew and a cunt, a Muslim and a cunt, a Christian and a cunt.

By Abernathy
Andy McDandy wrote:Just as if one used a dead baby as proof, against all the contrary evidence, that one cared.
Like, for example, a deceased seriously disabled son? To pick one totally random example.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
1. As I have mentioned claiming that the Jews are secretly controlling world events is a common anti-semitic trope.

2. Nobody has forced him or any other of the anti-semites that have been exposed to say the things they said.

3. This isn't about protected characteristics, to shield Israel this is about the problem of anti-semitism within Labour. There are two options you can either confront it or you can bury your head in the sand, pretend that there is no problem , because one day there will be something so devastating, so outrageous, that you cannot deny it.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Littlejohn's brain wrote: This isn't about protected characteristics, to shield Israel this is about the problem of anti-Semitism within Labour. There are two options you can either confront it or you can bury your head in the sand, pretend that there is no problem , because one day there will be something so devastating, so outrageous, that you cannot deny it.
I thought those making anti-semitic remarks have either been suspended or expelled. As this is not a subject I've ever encountered in the Labour Party how widespread is this anti-Semitism problem and what are their motivations?
By Andy McDandy
If one looks hard enough for something to offend, one will always find it. I'm reminded of a guy I once debated with online who accused a certain director, famous for his gangster films, of racism. Where was the evidence, people asked? Item one - characters in his films used the N word. Well, came the counter, that's for the sake of accuracy, not out of an urge to shock or provoke. Item two - black characters in his films died. Well, we said, so do plenty of people of all shapes and sizes. Point 3 - in [certain film], there were no black characters. The fact that the film was set in Tibet and was about European mountaineers seemed to have passed him by.

As Youngian has said, people who have made anti-Semitic remarks are being expelled. What we need to avoid is "He hurt my feelings and I'm X, therefore he hurt my feelings because I'm X", because that's fucking insane logic.

By mikey mikey
Littlejohn's brain wrote:this is about the problem of anti-semitism within Labour.
Which apparently has only been a problem since September 2015. :wink:
youngian wrote: in the Labour Party how widespread is this anti-Semitism problem and what are their motivations?
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 5/7381.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;]

^ A Goverment All-Party Inquiry into Antisemitism makes no mention Anti-Semitism within Labour within it's 46 pages.

LJB has unwittingly revealed what this new concern about Anti-Semitism is about: the Labour Party and its internal struggle. Quite simply, it's an attempt to smear all but the "moderates" as racists etc. Without a thought to the long term damage to the party as a whole, I would add.

Have a look at yesterday's news on the topic.

https://news.google.com/news/story?ncl= ... kQqgIIHjAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I can't find any stories about Labour and Anti-Semitism before November 2015, even though there are literally hundreds after Corbyn's election.
Last edited by mikey mikey on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

By Daley Mayle
Complaining about the level of immigration was usually the preserve of right wingers who would be called racists by the left wing for merely voicing their concerns.

Complaining about Israeli foreign policies especially where it relates to Palestine is more the preserve of left wingers and are now called out by right wingers as being anti-Semite.

It has the same intellectual level of a sixth form debating group.
Aaron Bastani

He's trying to win Uncle Seamus's approval. https[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

If we're honest we are really facing a "glove[…]

Climate change and "politics"

Well done to those kids who went on strike today. […]

The Trump Presidency

He has declared a national emergency on salad (veg[…]