•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
I remain a full-throated champion of independent journalism but Kerry-anne Mendoza really does need to take control of this, a wholly self-inflicted wound which would not be out of place (or apologised for) in Derry Street..

Basically. Any critic must hold themselves to the standards otherwise expected of those who they accuse of falling short.

(Physicians who live in glass houses should heal black kettles. Or Something.)

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Yeah I saw that. What we need is something like Vox Media, which unlike The Canary backs their articles up with facts.
Without wishing to sound dismissive, we already do have Vox Media. It's called Vox Media and it is part of SB Media which exists to sell sports apparel through its own channels and then via so-called "influencer" channels. Vice is not wholly different insofar as it flogs stuff plus -oh dear - Fox has a stake.

I have several pairs of next year's trainers in the cupboard under the stairs. I'll give them to my brother when he tips up at the end of next month.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Kerry-Anne Mendoza received a mouthful on QT about her polemical propaganda site masquerading as news. She took on the chin and smiled as the man attacking her was Nick Ferrari who was under the impression that his career on Murdoch tabloids was journalism. The tabloids have more professional rigour but not much. If the Canary is having the same success with the under 40s with their propaganda as the tabloids have done with the over 50s for decades I don't care. In a perfect world I wish people studied sophisticated articulate debates and researched policies in detail before reaching decisions but we don't.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I think they've a point there, but it's not really about politics. It's more about the human tendency to only see one's immediate peers as real people and everyone else as essentially obstacles in the road. Monkeysphere or whatever it's called. In this case it's not so much about her being a Tory as being British. Foreigners are either comical or sinister, but never quite human.

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Arnold wrote:I suppose it could be factual if she means she doesn't have the political authority to go further against the wishes of the Brexiters in the cabinet.
That's how I'd understand it, as far as her political constraints allowed. She could have agreed to give Gibraltar to Spain, for what it's worth.

By bluebellnutter
Andy McDandy wrote:I think they've a point there, but it's not really about politics. It's more about the human tendency to only see one's immediate peers as real people and everyone else as essentially obstacles in the road. Monkeysphere or whatever it's called. In this case it's not so much about her being a Tory as being British. Foreigners are either comical or sinister, but never quite human.
It's this same attitude which is why people don't like to see the human cost of their prejudices (e.g. the dead kid washed up on the shores of the Med).
By Andy McDandy
I've a longer post to make on that topic but you're broadly there. Mail readers don't think of themselves as evil, and they're for the most part not. They just want to live in a world where what they see as the bad stuff doesn't intrude. And that includes the consequences of their decisions.
The Mail & Climate Change

https://twitter.com/BeffernieBlack/status/11207672[…]

Caption Contest

Little Britain was the first thought that came int[…]

Amateur hour at CHUK becomes amateur month https:[…]

*screams forever* https://twitter.com/Peston/stat[…]