•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Would champagne and party poppers really be appropriate for the repatriation of our deceased servicemen and women?
Last edited by Abernathy on Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SoulBoy
Membership Days Posts
Would a gold nose cone carry the appropriate level of solemnity?

Perhaps REPARATRIATION written on the side of the plane?

It is the least their sacrifice deserves.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
And on they go...

Empty seats, green pools, chaotic transport and disgusting accommodation: Sorry, despite our golden heroes, Rio 2016 was a scandal, says ROBERT HARDMAN
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rdman.html

It hasn't taken long for their impressionable readers to fall inline, either.

Top rated comments:
jules st john, swansea, 6 hours ago
these athletes are not heroes by definition a hero is somebody who risks all to save others
+824 -98
Had enough and left, Auckland, New Zealand, 6 hours ago
I never watched any of the olympics, Its ridiculous to have sports like football, BMX, beach volley ball and so on. There should just be the track and field with swimming, like all things, it goes over the top and losses its appeal.
+370 -191
ruther40rd, London, United Kingdom, 40 minutes ago
Totally agree with you @Had enough and left. Some people will watch the most boring sports just because it is part of the Olympic hype. I can't even watch the sports I'm interested in during the Olympics cause the gushy commentators make me want to barf. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with a life.

By KevS
Membership Days Posts
Thing is, these joyless morons will say the same if we have a successful Paralympics as well - overlooking the fact that for some of the competitors, the reason they are even eligible for competiting is because they've suffered horrible injuries whilst, er, serving the country in the armed forces.
By Andy McDandy
After any major sporting contest you'll find people disparaging the competitors and/or their winnings/salaries, saying that it's ridiculous people earn so much and are lauded so highly for "kicking a ball around"/"knocking a ball over a net". The implication being that it's easy and anyone can do it.

If that's the case, one might ask why the critics don't take up the sport themselves.

On that note, there was a good explanation of it all a few years ago, from the sports reporter on the Radio 2 breakfast show. When asked why the stratospheric salaries etc, he pointed out that a) it's the market rate, and b) most professional or Olympic level sportspeople devoted their lives to their game, and their window of opportunity was pretty small - just a few years at peak fitness. For everyone who moves into coaching/commentating/product promotion, there are plenty who don't and end up washed up and burned out at a relatively early age.

By Daley Mayle
According to The Wright Stuff today the question on everyone's lips was, 'Should the Olympic athletes repay the money they received from the Lottery?'. Apparently someone like Mighty Mo would have trousered a cool £280,000 over the years from Lottery funding and now look at him, just LOOK at HIM, he's getting [___INSERT MADE UP FIGURE HERE___] from endorsements.

After a bit of chin wagging from the panelists and phoner-inners and despite the best effort of Matthew to push the notion that such athletes jolly well should repay the cash it was decided that the answer to the question was, er, no.

It was just as well I was having my breakfast at the time because I would have felt that I had wasted 20 minutes of my life.
By Andy McDandy
The queen does quite well out of the civil list. Should she repay that?

On the same score, how much does it cost to train a soldier?

By bluebellnutter
KevS wrote:Thing is, these joyless morons will say the same if we have a successful Paralympics as well - overlooking the fact that for some of the competitors, the reason they are even eligible for competiting is because they've suffered horrible injuries whilst, er, serving the country in the armed forces.
Plus we'll have added helpings of "Look at these inspirational disabled people, while those layabouts sit around at home milking disability benefit off the state instead of going out and working".

By mattomac
That's dangerously close to a Graduate Tax....

Anyhow...
YorkshireLass, York _ England, 33 minutes ago
To make it worse the captain says this is the most privileged flight he's ever made. What about all the other millions of hard working tax payers that fly with BA every year, are we not important enough???
No you are not.
Chatting to my neighbour about heroes - he reckons sports stars aren't, and they are very well paid to boot once they get to Olympic level.

He also reckons that heroism is usually making a stupid decision in blind panic and getting away with it.

By Daley Mayle
It's a bit of a bugbear with me. The English language is a rich source of words and the overuse, or ill use, of certain words diminishes their power. I admire these athletes who have dedicated years of their life to get to the Olympics but is the term hero only attributable to the ones who get a medal? What about the one who came fourth or those who didn't get into the finals? What's wrong with champion, victor or just plain winner?

Another abused word is devastated. It's use can now be applied from someone being mildly inconvenienced to the result of that recent earthquake in Italy.
Labour, Generally.

It's a certainty that when the Corbyn/May deal i[…]

Claire Fox

Makes you wonder what Damascene revelation caused […]

The Brexit Party

He's had a huge amount of influence, though. He […]

Driver, 23, who spent £3,000 lowering his […]