For all print & online journalism
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
#500776
I'm not 100% convinced by HuffPoUK yet. A bit clickbaity at times, but there are some gems.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/robin-l ... f=uk&ir=UK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am angry at the politicians who are knowingly and deliberately taking the country along a course that they themselves believe to be profoundly mistaken. What is that if it is not hypocrisy, dishonesty and cowardice?

It was Theresa May’s breathtakingly disingenuous letter to the EU, triggering Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, that sparked my fury. Because what it revealed, far more starkly than she can possibly have imagined, is the appalling flimsiness of the pro-Brexit case.
Generally HuffPo is liberal, pro-EU and lively.
 
By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
#500778
You can get an idea of their position on Brexit with this piece:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/b ... _hp_ref=uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tory MP Andrew Rosindell, chairman of the Flags and Heraldry Committee, told the Sunday Express that the burgundy passports were a “source of national humiliation”.

Meanwhile his fellow Tory Peter Bone told the Sun: “Having got back our national independence, we can express that by having our own passports again.”

The reaction on social media, however, was less than impressed...
By Danson's Forehead
Membership Days
#500781
It's all it was ever about for some of these fuckers. Blue passports, imperial measurements, and other assorted pointless remnants of a time when the only occasion you had to look at a darkie was when he was on the end of your bayonet.
 
By mattomac
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#500838
Half these things they want back went before we entered the ECC, so I'm not really sure what they are getting back. According to Heffer only a handful use metric measures?

Seriously, has he not met anyone under 40? As for the call for Pre Decimal coinage, seriously fuck off.
 
By Boiler
Posts
#500848
mattomac wrote:Half these things they want back went before we entered the ECC, so I'm not really sure what they are getting back. According to Heffer only a handful use metric measures?

Seriously, has he not met anyone under 40? As for the call for Pre Decimal coinage, seriously fuck off.
I think a lot of people who work in engineering are going to be surprised that they're 'only a handful'. Or in pharmaceuticals. Or your local butcher/grocer.

And yes, a return to LSD is just stupid. It went on 15/2/71 which IIRC predated our joining the EEC.

In that Twitter thread on The Patriotic Alliance one supporter told their detractors to "stop looking back". Isn't that what just about every leaver seems to want to do, or has that dodgy Brie affected my memory again?
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
#500860
The annoying thing is that all the stuff they want back are either stupid (pre decimal coinage) trivial (passports) or bad (death sentence)

The positive aspects of life in the past like secure long term employment, trade union rights, affordable housing, publicly owned services etc are completely ignored.
 
By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
#500882
Indeed.
Crowsa Luxemburg @quendergeer

"I'm nostalgic for the 50s"
"Oh you mean like trade unions and a functioning NHS"
"No, blue passports and crap light bulbs
"

Some old favourites revisited. A festival of fuckwits...

Article 50: The 7 Bestest Best Reasons For Leaving The EU
Bloody European fruit, coming over here and not bending to our will.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/a ... 63706323fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 
By mattomac
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#500996
mr angry manchester wrote:The annoying thing is that all the stuff they want back are either stupid (pre decimal coinage) trivial (passports) or bad (death sentence)

The positive aspects of life in the past like secure long term employment, trade union rights, affordable housing, publicly owned services etc are completely ignored.
Pretty much.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
#501000
Pre decimal coinage, in itself, wasn't a bad thing, but it was phased out 46 years ago and replaced by a simpler system so what would possibly be achieved by bringing it back?

It would simply create work, cause confusion and be costly and for what? just to annoy foreigners and people who wanted to remain?

This sums up the mentality of the Brexit mob
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#501004
Factor in the changes needed to accounting software and systems, not to mention the stock market. Every major currency system on the planet works on a basis of 100 X to the Y.
 
By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
#501101
mr angry manchester wrote:Pre decimal coinage, in itself, wasn't a bad thing, but it was phased out 46 years ago and replaced by a simpler system so what would possibly be achieved by bringing it back?

It would simply create work, cause confusion and be costly and for what? just to annoy foreigners and people who wanted to remain?

This sums up the mentality of the Brexit mob
And let's face it, who is going to make use of a 1/960th division of a pound?
 
By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
#501103
Saw a thing on the telly that showed how 60 was a triffic number because it can be the sum/product of so many others. Apparently it was the Mesopotanaianaians that discovered it, and it still forms the basis of astronomy, time and navigation.

It occurred to me that it also forms the basis of our previous currency:

n=60
£1 = 4xn
Crown = 1xn
Half crown = ½n
Shilling = n/5
Tanner = n/10
Penny = n/n

So. Did we nick it from the Mespotarniums or did we think of it all by ourselves? c1000CE?

Flybmi collapses, blaming Brexit uncertainty […]

Just when you think Yaxley-Lennon couldn’t b[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

It doesn't but it can be a nuisance to Labour.

The Tories, Generally

Exclusive: Tory Party 'In Denial' Over Islamopho[…]