•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
A Facebook friend recalls her saying before she became an MP that she intended to continue writing even when she was in parliament as she thought she would have no trouble fitting it in.

By Tubby Isaacs
Good riddance. I reckon a few more of that 2010 intake will get bored pretty quickly. Mensch was a loyalist, which is more boring than trouble making about Europe, but that'll get boring too.

A Tory writer-politician, eh? I rather prefer this chap to Mensch:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Gilmou ... raigmillar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He was elected as Member of Parliament for Central Norfolk in a by-election in 1962, winning by 220 votes. He held this seat until 1974, when his seat was abolished due to boundary changes, and he stood for the safe Conservative seat of Chesham and Amersham, sitting as its MP from 1974 until his retirement in 1992.
Gilmour was known for writing coherently from the One Nation perspective of the Conservative Party, in opposition to Thatcherism; in particular in his books Dancing with Dogma (1992) and (with Mark Garnett) Whatever Happened to the Tories (1997) and in his critical articles in journals such as the London Review of Books. Inside Right (1977) is an introduction to conservative thought and thinkers. He was pro-European (or, perhaps, better described as "anti-Eurosceptic").[3] He also wrote the books The Body Politic (1969), Inside Right (1977), Britain Can Work (1983), Riot, Risings and Revolution (1992), and The Making of the Poets: Byron and Shelley in Their Time (2002).

By Abernathy
She's written 14 shit books. Fourteen!

And they all sound equally shit - pure Femail fodder :

Gorgeous goddesses seem to surround script-reader and wannabe movie-maker Anna Brown - from her deranged glamour-queen boss to her perfect, pouting flat-mates - for Anna, being less-than-beautiful is very hard to bear.
With a dead-end job and a ghastly boyfriend to boot, she wonders if she can ever be a success. In fashion- and beauty-crazed London, perhaps being talented just isn't enough.
Enter Mark Swan, Britain's hottest director. Rugged, reclusive and powerful, everybody wants a piece of him - from studio heads to supermodels. He could be Anna's ticket to the top, but how can she ever hope to snag such a big star?
Fed up of being downbeat and dowdy, Anna decides to chase her dreams and, with a little help from her friends, embarks on a madcap scheme to get just what she's after...

By Andy McDandy
'Madcap'. Says it all.

Once, as part of a promo piece I was doing for the Cheltenhem lit fest, I was challenged to read a Katie Fforde book in two hours and then answer questions on it. Now, it's not Bagshawe but it's similar. And from what I'm reliably told, all those sorts of books are the same.

Apparently independent, confident (yet at the same time insecure) heroine is saddled with useless partner.

Heroine dumps him or goes off for a break.

Heroine hooks up with quirky, 'whacky' friend, who's a bit of a goer.

Heroine meets up with too-good-to-be-true hunk.

Whacky friend gets in some way hurt (usually emotionally), and in the words of Bad Boys 2, the shit gets real.

Heroine decides to start new life with hunk.

Useless partner from the start comes back in and appeals to heroine, just as hunk puts his foot in it, in some way.

God, it's like Tess of the D'Urbervilles here. But with less shagging and murder in Bournemouth.

Whacky friend pairs off with sensitive type from earlier, or with equally free spirit and goes off trampolining around the world.

Heroine tells dull ex-partner where to stick it, strikes out on her own, and falls into arms of hunk, with whom she is now reconciled.

Seriously, that is the plot of all of them.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:She's written 14 shit books. Fourteen!

And they all sound equally shit - pure Femail fodder :

Gorgeous goddesses seem to surround script-reader and wannabe movie-maker Anna Brown - from her deranged glamour-queen boss to her perfect, pouting flat-mates - for Anna, being less-than-beautiful is very hard to bear.
With a dead-end job and a ghastly boyfriend to boot, she wonders if she can ever be a success. In fashion- and beauty-crazed London, perhaps being talented just isn't enough.
Enter Mark Swan, Britain's hottest director. Rugged, reclusive and powerful, everybody wants a piece of him - from studio heads to supermodels. He could be Anna's ticket to the top, but how can she ever hope to snag such a big star?
Fed up of being downbeat and dowdy, Anna decides to chase her dreams and, with a little help from her friends, embarks on a madcap scheme to get just what she's after...
Let me guess, cut to sympathetic makeover scene, then a bit of shagging??

By Winegums
Always amazes me how much free time some politicians seem to have. I would've thought being an MP should preclude you from having time for other jobs, and yet she was involved in setting up a social media site and writing a book. There really should be something in the ministerial code preventing ministers (and mayors!) from having any other work whilst in parliament.
By satnav
Winegums wrote:Always amazes me how much free time some politicians seem to have. I would've thought being an MP should preclude you from having time for other jobs, and yet she was involved in setting up a social media site and writing a book. There really should be something in the ministerial code preventing ministers (and mayors!) from having any other work whilst in parliament.
If workload was the main reason for resigning surely she could have reduced her workload by resigning from the Culture and Media Select committee, if she just concentrated on constituency matters she could have got away with attending the commons three days a week with a cuple of half days when required to vote on three line whips.

By Tubby Isaacs
new puritan wrote:I wonder whether Narglefargle will have a dabble in the Corby by-election. It would be just the sort of pointless publicity stunt he'd go in for.
I think he's within his rights to, and he'll get a decent score, and scare the Tories.

The 14% Lib Dem vote last time will head south too.

Obviously Labour must be relieved Galloway is already in Parliament. He would of course have come along to a working class town like Corby and electrified the place.
By Carlos The Badger
Membership Days Posts
I'm surprised that no one has commented that not only is she leaving politics but she's also leaving the sodding COUNTRY!

Yay! Get those bottles on ice!
Roll Call

Last week I posted that I received the most beauti[…]

Rishi Sunak

Now you mention it, I've never seen them togethe[…]

Boris Johnson

I think it's safe to say that Labour backed him fo[…]

C**t of the day

I'd say that if he keeps this up, he's going to […]