•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
One of the few remaining working environments where normal workplace norms and standards don't apply, where workplace bullying is commonplace, a culture of "just fucking do it" prevails.

Oh yes, and power without responsibility.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:28 am
It would be interesting to see how many of the media barons and editors fall under 'clinical psychopath'. Apparently it's not entirely uncommon for people 'at the top' to at least tick a lot of the boxes.
Yes, I’ve heard that before, that powerful business types have a similar psychological make up to serial killers

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
I think it's psychopathic traits such as; ruthlessness, manipulation, and lack of empathy. All things needed (or at least helps a lot) if you're going to reach the very top which coincide with the traits needed to be shown if someone is to be diagnosed as a clinical psychopath.

I think this is the official list:

glib and superficial charm
grandiose (exaggeratedly high) estimation of self
need for stimulation
pathological lying
cunning and manipulativeness
lack of remorse or guilt
shallow affect (superficial emotional responsiveness)
callousness and lack of empathy
parasitic lifestyle
poor behavioral controls
sexual promiscuity
early behavior problems
lack of realistic long-term goals
impulsivity
irresponsibility
failure to accept responsibility for own actions
many short-term marital relationships
juvenile delinquency
revocation of conditional release
criminal versatility

A lot, probably most, psychopaths go through their entire lives without physically harming or killing anyone.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Put in a slightly nicer context, the ability to get to the top and "see the big picture" involves necessarily compartmentalising issues and sacrificing concerns of individuals before those of the whole. In short, you've got to be a bit of a bastard.
youngian liked this

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
THE SUN SAYS Oxfam’s Deputy Chief was right to resign after sexual abuse allegations — but at this point it seems the whole charity is corrupt

THE scale of sexual abuse within the aid industry is staggering.

This is not a case of a few bad apples. The whole tree seems to be rotten.

The Oxfam revelations have broken a wall of silence. Their Deputy Chief is right to resign — and it’s inconceivable Dame Barbara Stocking, who masterminded the cover-up, can remain at the top of a Cambridge college.

But there are clearly far wider concerns, and if Whitehall mandarins refused to act despite warnings then they should be clearing their desks too.

This is only the latest in a string of scandals in which abuses have been covered up in the name of political correctness and the “greater good”.

Charity bosses and development officials put the reputation of foreign aid ahead of the basic dignity of the world’s most vulnerable people.

In Bradford, Rotherham and other cities, the authorities turned a blind eye to dozens of sexual assaults committed by mainly Asian grooming gangs to preserve racial harmony.

The Catholic Church and the Church of England, too, spent years denying abuse because they thought it would do more harm than good to expose it.

There’s no credit in covering-up vile crimes.

The ends never justify the means.

Return fire

THE Prime Minister will put her shoulder to the wheel on Brexit over the coming weeks — and not before time.

Mrs May and her Government must present an optimistic vision of our future once free from the shackles of Brussels.

The remainers still trying to tie us back in have run riot in recent weeks, without anybody in the Cabinet returning fire.

That needs to change, and should start with Boris Johnson’s speech tomorrow.

There is plenty of good news about. A survey of corporate bosses here and abroad shows plenty of optimism. The US bank Citi has just announced a major UK investment and BP boss Bob Dudley says “a lot” of countries want a trade deal.

A truly global Britain is worth shouting about.

Bad Korea move

“MESMERISING”.

That’s how the BBC described North Korea’s syrupy Olympic cheerleaders in a report this week, as if they were some harmless addition to the festivities.

They are not. Unfortunately for them, they’re the chosen representatives of a repressive regime responsible for the deaths of millions of people.

This stunt is nothing more than propaganda for a murderous dictatorship, and if it’s “mesmerising” then it’s working.

There’s nothing wrong with getting Little Rocket Man around a table. But let’s remember one thing.

North Korea are the bad guys.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:49 am
Put in a slightly nicer context, the ability to get to the top and "see the big picture" involves necessarily compartmentalising issues and sacrificing concerns of individuals before those of the whole. In short, you've got to be a bit of a bastard.
I'd disagree with the "See the big picture bit".
In my opinion plenty of self-styled "Leaders" manage to lie, backstab and arselick their way up the greasy pole.
They then fail to provide vision, example or leadership from that high vantage point.
Instead they reward themselves, surround themselves with a meatshield of cronies and carry on with business as usual.

The power quickly goes to their heads, and eventually their poor judgement becomes apparent to all.

The rather rare great leader, is able to retain that "big picture" once they reach the top.
They may have been changed by the journey, but they are able to retain some perspactive, knowledge of the organisation they lead, and even inspire and direct their charges.

However folk like this don't thrive in Murdoch news organisations with their culture of scheming and bullying.

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
I know the populace of NK don't exactly have a fun packed life, and they are ruled by a paranoid man-child.......but what exactly have they done to the rest of the World to make them the bad guys, e.g. have they ever dropped a nuclear bomb on Japan

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Bigging up their mate Boris.

I like how this is meant to 'unify' Brexiters and Remainers yet The Sun can't help themselves and still brands us "Remoaners".

THE SUN SAYS: Boris Johnson’s message to Remoaners is a vital fightback against EU fanatics trying to halt Brexit

BUCCANEERING Boris is back — and about time too.

It’s good to see a senior Minister flying the flag for Brexit, rather than apologising for it.

The Foreign Secretary’s article must start the fightback against the doom-mongers who think the country’s going to the dogs — and have been almost unchallenged on our TV screens.

What do they want from Brexit? The same old customs union but with a different name. The same old Brussels bureaucracy. Some of them sit around the Cabinet table.

Let’s be clear — we will make a success of this, but only if Britain is truly freed from the shackles of Brussels.

We can’t get stuck in regulatory purgatory, strangled by EU red tape now and unable to write our own rules for new industries in the future.

This is a strong and successful country that is ready to take on the opportunities that Brexit brings.

Nobody should be scared of what leaving means.

We need a full-fat Brexit — ideally with a trade deal that works for the UK and Europe, but an arrangement that allows us to compete on a global stage.

The opportunities are out there and we must be free to grasp them.

Here's his article he wrote for them:

But if we are to carry this project through to national success — as we must — then we must also reach out to those who still have anxieties.

It is not good enough to say to remainers: you lost, get over it.
Literally right next to the editorial calling us Remoaners....

BORIS JOHNSON Brexit is the great project of our age and does not mean Britain being insular — it means being more GLOBAL

THE other day a woman pitched up in my surgery in a state of indignation. It was a conversation I have often had since the referendum on June 23, 2016.

No one was trying to understand her feelings about Brexit. She felt so downcast, she said, that she was thinking of leaving the country — for Canada.

And I recognised that feeling of grief and alienation, because in the last 18 months I have heard the same sentiments so often — from friends, from family, from people in the street.

In some cases, alas, I detect a hardening of the mood, a deepening of the anger.

I fear that some people are becoming ever more determined to stop Brexit, to reverse the referendum vote and frustrate the will of the people.

I believe that would be a disastrous mistake, leading to permanent and ineradicable feelings of betrayal. We cannot and will not let it happen.

But if we are to carry this project through to national success — as we must — then we must also reach out to those who still have anxieties.

It is not good enough to say to remainers: you lost, get over it. Let us address their concerns and show that Brexit is a great national endeavour with immense economic and political benefits.

Our status as a rock solid guarantor of the defence of Europe flows from our membership of Nato, not the EU. And the UK’s commitment is made real by the 800 British troops from 5th Battalion The Rifles I saw recently in Estonia, who have since been relieved by 1st Battalion The Royal Welsh.

To those who worry that we are somehow going to become more insular, the exact reverse is true. We are becoming every year more global.

In 2016, British people paid 71million visits to other countries — more than one foreign trip per person per year and a 70 per cent increase since 1996.

Today six million Brits live scattered around the world, giving us a bigger diaspora (dispersion of people from their homeland) than any other large rich nation. There are more British people in Australia than in the whole of the EU.

That is not because people want to flee Britain. As we have seen, they want to come here in considerable numbers, and that desire will not disappear after Brexit.

It was my proudest boast as mayor of London that we had 400,000 French men and women in our capital, compared with 19,000 British people in Paris.

But we also need to ask ourselves some hard questions about the impact of 20 years of uncontrolled immigration by low-skilled, low-wage workers — and what many see as the consequent suppression of wages and failure to invest properly in the skills of indigenous young people.

We do not want to haul up the drawbridge and we certainly don’t want to deter the international students who make a huge contribution to our economy.

But we want to exercise control and if we are going to move from a low-wage, low-productivity economy to a high-wage, high productivity economy — as we must — then Brexit gives us back at least one of the levers we need. At the same time, Brexit will give us a cash dividend and as the Prime Minister has indicated, a substantial sum will go on housing, education and, yes, the NHS.

And leaving the EU will allow us to restore our democratic self-government.

After Brexit, our Parliament will be sovereign once again — the British people will be governed by those who they alone can elect and remove.

To those who worry about coming out of the customs union or the single market, please bear in mind that the economic benefits of membership are nothing like as conspicuous or irrefutable as is sometimes claimed.

In the last few years, plenty of non-EU countries have seen far more rapid growth in their exports to the EU than we have, even though we pay a handsome membership fee.

It is only by taking back control of our laws that UK firms and entrepreneurs will have the freedom to innovate, without the risk of having to comply with some directive devised by Brussels, at the urgings of some lobby group, with the aim of holding back a UK competitor.

That would be intolerable, undemocratic and would make it all but impossible for us to do serious free trade deals.

We are a nation of inventors, designers, scientists, architects, lawyers, insurers, water slide testers, toblerone cabinet makers.

There are some sectors, such as AI or robotics, or bulk data, or bioscience where we excel and where we may want to do things differently.

So much of this is about confidence and national self-belief.

We Brits love to run ourselves down. In fact, one of the many ways in which we lead the world is in the sport of national self-deprecation.

But when the history books come to be written, Brexit will be seen as just the latest way in which the British bucked the trend and took the initiative — and did something that responds to the needs and opportunities of the world today.

I understand the fears of the many people who voted to remain.

But in its insistence upon democracy and its openness to the world, Brexit is the great project of our age.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
It’s good to see a senior Minister flying the flag for Brexit, rather than apologising for it.

Johnson's immigrants welcome liberal Brexit sounds like an apology to me. By liberal he means more unfettered global free market economics (which neither Remainers or Leavers have shown much appetite for) rather than socially unacceptable to call people grinning piccaninnies.
Jeremy Corbyn.

A personality cult around someone with no personal[…]

Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

This is what pisses me off the most. Corbyn will s[…]

McDonald's ads are indees the pits. Often cloyin[…]

Tatchell has been very critical of Corbyn. Ah[…]