Topics about News International
:sunglasses: 63.2 % ❤ 1.3 % :thumbsup: 10.5 % :grinning: 17.1 % 🧥 1.3 % 😟 3.9 % :cry: 1.3 % :shit: 1.3 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:06 pm
This is what I just don't 'get' - why are they so convinced that they'd lose a second referendum if one was held?
I don't think it's even that self-aware. To outside eyes, it's fairly clear that it was a squeaky enough result, and running it again with a better informed electorate and after the resulting shit-show would probably alter the result a fair amount. This, though, is just taking the ball and going home. They've got what they wanted, and fuck you, Jack.
Boiler liked this

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
MisterMuncher wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:07 pm
Boiler wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:06 pm
This is what I just don't 'get' - why are they so convinced that they'd lose a second referendum if one was held?
I don't think it's even that self-aware. To outside eyes, it's fairly clear that it was a squeaky enough result, and running it again with a better informed electorate and after the resulting shit-show would probably alter the result a fair amount. This, though, is just taking the ball and going home. They've got what they wanted, and fuck you, Jack.
Spot fucking on.
Boiler liked this
By satnav
Membership Days Posts
The Sun launches its Make Universal Credit Work campaign to stop hard-working families being forced into poverty

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/7949946/ ... 1545051656

The paper that has spent the last 40 years bashing people on benefits is now trying to portray itself as the claimant's champion. What utter hypocrisy.

By davidjay
satnav wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:31 pm
The Sun launches its Make Universal Credit Work campaign to stop hard-working families being forced into poverty

The paper that has spent the last 40 years bashing people on benefits is now trying to portray itself as the claimant's champion. What utter hypocrisy.
It's only genuine claimants they'll be supporting. Anyone who had a child while they weren't working, or isn't poor but honest, or looks a bit forrin, will be condemned as loudly as ever.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
davidjay wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:56 am
satnav wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:31 pm

It's only genuine claimants they'll be supporting. Anyone who had a child while they weren't working, or isn't poor but honest, or looks a bit forrin, will be condemned as loudly as ever.
Back to the concept of the Deserving and Undeserving poor - a Victorian trope from which the Sun has never moved on.

By Boiler
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:22 am
Back to the concept of the Deserving and Undeserving poor - a Victorian trope from which the Sun has never moved on.
I take it the 'deserving' poor were those upper-class types who'd lost their estate in India or something?

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Posts
Not quite. They were the hardworking members of the lower classes brought low by circumstance and not their own fecklessness, drink or immorality. Possibly old or disabled, deferential and grateful for charity.

You can see how that translates directly into tabloid prejudices.

By cycloon
Really, it means 'those I/we deem worthy because we happen to have read about them and are politically/culturally acceptable, versus those we've not met/are a bit different to us'.

There will always be 1 x 'hardworking down on their luck chap [whose case signifies nothing about any structural inequality at all, but a Tory MP met a food bank for a photo op]' versus 1,000,000 x 'scrounger layabout feckless wastrels [whose cases signify everything about everything that we watch out our car windows, the scum]'.
By Andy McDandy
See Stalin's comments about death.

I suspect that Gallagher might have been neglecting his readership base. He's always angled the paper more at Mail readers than at the proletarian core readership, and it might be occurring to him that they're getting bitten now.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
The Sun really struggling to argue that a democratic vote is undemocratic:

Wise up, Tories

THE Tories are now the party of Brexit whether their Remainer MPs like it or not. If they don’t deliver it, they’re done for.

So its diehard Europhiles need to stop contorting logic by arguing that a ­second referendum — before enacting the first — is “democratic”.

It is a demolition of democracy.

As for those instead backing “Norway Plus”, it’s an appalling idea: a Rem- ainers’ Brexit which effectively keeps us in the EU but without a voice or vote.

In what possible way does staying in a permanent customs union and the ­single market, with no immigration control, satisfy the Leave mandate?

It’s not a “compromise”. It’s a Remainer ruse. Except it’s worse than remaining. Norway Plus, aka “Remain Minus”, would destroy the Tories as surely as simply scrapping Brexit.

It is far more likely to do so than any number of “no-confidence” stunts like the one Jeremy Corbyn has now pulled in his pathetic desperation for relevance.

If Theresa May’s withdrawal deal fails — and Remainer Cabinet ministers would rather sacrifice Brexit than swallow a No Deal — they’ll just have to quit.

It’s not much of a threat. We doubt voters will miss them.

Given all that — and the fact the EU has no intention of even meeting about Mrs May’s deal, let alone improving it — let’s just take them at their word.

:lol: What the fuck? I can't be arsed going back through all the editorials but on numerous occasions The Sun have said NOT to take the EU at their word and that they've proved to be untrustworthy!

Are EU ready?

SO much for the “cliff-edge No Deal apocalypse” of hysterical Remainer fantasy. The EU now plans to ensure life there and here carries on normally after March 29.

It will keep planes flying, goods and money flowing and traffic moving freely from Dover to Calais. Great.

Given all that — and the fact the EU has no intention of even meeting about Mrs May’s deal, let alone improving it — let’s just take them at their word.

No Deal is legally our default position. UK firms will today be told to plan for it immediately . . . and about time too. We must be as ready as the EU. Read what trade lawyer Shanker Singham says on this page about measures we can take.

If the Government has to pay to strike new side deals, the so-called “Managed No Deal”, fine. But we must get out.

While Remainers continue to talk up ways to overthrow the referendum, the EU still thinks it has us over a barrel. Once we have left, realism will trump bloody-mindedness.

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
Also just going to put this here as a matter of record - because this constant championing of a No Deal and STILL waffling on about Project Fear by The Sun may need to be revisited...

NO DEAL? NO WORRIES The European Union has more to lose from a No Deal Brexit than a well-prepared UK
While negotiating a deal with the EU is preferable, the No Deal scenarios of food shortages and lack of medicines, put forward by Project Fear doom-mongers, are preposterous
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/brexit/80 ... r-britain/

And just after I posted that I noticed Mogg lapping it up on Twitter:

Alt-right self-identifiers

Yeah, Sartre had it right. I don't think this i[…]

1:50am on Friday 22nd March and the petition now h[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

https://twitter.com/DamCou/status/1108798018218807[…]

Meanwhile in New Zealand

https://twitter.com/Bonn1eGreer/status/11088891148[…]