Topics about News International
:sunglasses: 61.7 % ❤ 1.8 % :thumbsup: 13.2 % :grinning: 17.4 % 🧥 1.2 % 🙏 1.8 % 😟 1.8 % :cry: 0.6 % :shit: 0.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
THE SUN SAYS Tony Hall will forever be remembered as the BBC boss who betrayed over-75s and let liberal bias run wild

ABOVE all the other scandals, Tony Hall will be remembered as the BBC boss who betrayed over-75s by stripping them of the free licences he promised to fund.

But he was also the Director-General who defended the indefensible — the compulsory TV tax, as archaic as a black and white telly, which still gifts the Beeb a gargantuan £3.7billion a year.

Hall’s seven years were plagued by criticism of the mind-boggling and unjustifiable salaries of its stars, notably the £1.75million lavished on Gary ­Lineker, as well as men being paid far more than women doing similar jobs.

Under Hall, the BBC’s obvious liberal-left political bias became an open sore.

When it came to Brexit, Leavers were belittled on news programmes as liars or fools and routinely outnumbered by Remainers the Beeb’s journalists liked.

It was utterly out of step with the paying public, as the results of both the referendum and December’s election then proved. Which makes Hall’s defence of the licence fee even more ridiculous.

In an era of multiple-choice subscription TV it is absurd for one broadcaster to be funded by a tax enforceable by criminal penalty.

It is even more laughable to claim it “ensures independence­ . . . obliges us to serve everyone and reflect every part of the UK”.

Hall’s BBC spent his entire tenure turning a deaf ear to half the UK. Hence its shock at last month’s Tory triumph.

Hall’s decision to rob over-75s of the free licences he agreed to in 2015 was equally outrageous.

The idea that the £750million cost will harm vital BBC services, when so much of its content amounts to needless competition with commercial rivals, is fatally flawed.

His successor must run a smaller Beeb, more in touch with the public, less in the grip of suffocating “wokeness”, focused not on gratuitous expansion but the high-quality shows it does best.

This new chief should accept that non-payment of the licence must be decriminalised and the levy finally replaced with a voluntary subscription.

Only then will the BBC join the 21st Century.

Rubbish, Harry

THE problem with Harry saying he and Meghan had no option but to move abroad to avoid our “powerful media” is that not a word of it is true.

It is sheer paranoia to say the Press has done anything but legitimately scrutinise a publicly-funded couple.

And the reality is they do not want to avoid media. They want to avoid criticism.

Indeed they crave media attention if it meekly writes their PR puff pieces. Corbyn’s Labour is the same.

As for having no choice, what drivel.

They could have grown up, developed a thicker skin and done their royal duty as they first promised.

To pretend that dark forces made them seek a vast fortune as A-list celebs in the LA sunshine is self-serving cobblers.

By Boiler
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:00 pm
THE SUN SAYS Tony Hall will forever be remembered as the BBC boss who betrayed over-75s and let liberal bias run wild

ABOVE all the other scandals, Tony Hall will be remembered as the BBC boss who betrayed over-75s by stripping them of the free licences he promised to fund.
Remind me.... it was a governmental decision, wasn't it? To save a few quid?
But he was also the Director-General who defended the indefensible — the compulsory TV tax, as archaic as a black and white telly, which still gifts the Beeb a gargantuan £3.7billion a year.
Not sure how it fits the definition of a 'tax' myself.
Hall’s seven years were plagued by criticism of the mind-boggling and unjustifiable salaries of its stars, notably the £1.75million lavished on Gary ­Lineker, as well as men being paid far more than women doing similar jobs.
Wondered how long it'd be before the boy Lineker was brought up.
In an era of multiple-choice subscription TV it is absurd for one broadcaster to be funded by a tax enforceable by criminal penalty.
Remind me... who can I go to for satellite TV other than Sky then? I wonder how much the BBC would save if it removed itself from the Sky platform and just remained on Freesat?
Hall’s decision to rob over-75s of the free licences he agreed to in 2015 was equally outrageous.
See above. Tories, not the BBC.
The idea that the £750million cost will harm vital BBC services, when so much of its content amounts to needless competition with commercial rivals, is fatally flawed.
I don't see commercial equivalents of Radios 3 and 4. Tell me more. Or indeed, its now far more 'local' radio.
His successor must run a smaller Beeb, more in touch with the public, less in the grip of suffocating “wokeness”, focused not on gratuitous expansion but the high-quality shows it does best.
And with your use of the word 'wokeness', I judge you a cunt.
This new chief should accept that non-payment of the licence must be decriminalised and the levy finally replaced with a voluntary subscription.
How? Show me the technical details of how to restrict BBC services to a subscription with current free-to-air technologies.

By Boiler
The ITV of classical music. Easily-digestible gobbets to give the pretence of sophistication.

Some of the best documentaries I have heard are on R3, and you don't get stuff like this elsewhere:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dhs5

I was greatly disappointed that some committee said that R3 should stop using phrases like "Of course" and "As we all know" as they're too elitist and assume prior knowledge and intelligence. Well, here's a non-elitist, easily understood phrase for them.

Fuck. Off.
Last edited by Boiler on Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lord_kobel liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I don't see commercial equivalents of Radios 3 and 4. Tell me more. Or indeed, its now far more 'local' radio.

The BBC holds its own with light entertainment, soaps, panel shows and other popular stuff with a bit more polish. Viewers respond and expect that from their licence fee money. Its not about me but I'm glad they do as find most of its light entertainment programming shite. Not because I don't like that sort of thing but Michael McIntyre's no Eric Morecambe and neither is that twat Brendan O'Carol remotely funny in drag compared to Les Dawson and Roy Barraclough.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:51 pm
On and on they go...

THE SUN SAYS The Queen should remind Harry and Meghan most British people work a lot harder, for a lot less

WE welcome the Queen’s decision to show Meghan and Harry the door.

Their plan to be half in, half out of The Firm was arrogant in the extreme, and would have set a damaging precedent.

But let’s not pretend that this is a “win” over the Sussexes for the public or the Royal Family.

Prince Harry and his wife gladly accepted fame and fortune in exchange for the responsibilities of royalty.

Now, they are choosing to shun those responsibilities, keep the fame, and cash it in for an even bigger fortune overseas.

And given that — as things stand — it’ll be us mugs back home footing their whopping security bill as they swan around North America striking lucrative commercial deals and preaching about climate change, it seems they’ve got themselves a pretty plum deal.

To put an end to this whole sorry saga, the Queen should adopt an even firmer line.

She must gently remind the Duke and Duchess that though they might have found their duties “soul-crushing”, most British people work a lot harder, for a lot less.

And they rightly expect some of the richest people in the country to stand entirely on their own two feet.

Which means no handouts from the Prince of Wales. No Sussex titles to trademark. And no funding of their police guards.

If those terms of abdication are proposed and accepted, then we, along with most reasonable British people, will wish Harry and Meghan Wales every happiness in beginning their new lives.

This can be completely ignored until The Sun mention Zac Goldsmith:

Peer pressure

A PEERAGE for any one of John Bercow, Karie Murphy or Tom Watson — let alone all three — would be a grotesque insult to the British people.

Brexit-blocking former Speaker Bercow stands accused of bullying Commons staff.

Murphy, Jeremy Corbyn’s bag-carrier, is being investigated by the Equality and Human Rights Commission for allowing anti-Semitism to fester in the Labour Party.

And Jezza’s slippery ex-deputy Watson egged on the bungled VIP paedo ring investigation that ruined innocent people’s lives — and cost the taxpayer upwards of £200million.

The Lords was meant to be a crucial chamber where the wisest in the land could check and amend legislation.

But it has mortally damaged its reputation by spending three years trying to thwart Brexit, the biggest democratic mandate in our history.

If it now adds any of this trio of scandal-drenched Corbyn nominees to its already bloated ranks, then frankly, it is done for.

Boris Johnson is said to be considering moving the House of Lords up to York.

If Bercow, Murphy or Watson are to be anywhere near it, we’d rather relocate it to outer Siberia.
In the case of Carrie Murphy they do have a point.

By Boiler
I rather like the idea of the HoL being in York. However, the expenses for 1st class travel to York on the ECML... :roll:

I also like the idea of replacing Westminster Palace with something fit for the 21st century, not the 17th.

By Boiler
Ta. I'm tired and increasingly confused these days.

Is your letter about your renewed membership, because mine was from Jennie Formby? I mentioned my new membership to my nephew; he resigned from the Party some time ago over Corbyn - he might rejoin if a more centrist position is taken under the new leader.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Putting a public service broadcaster like the BBC behind a pay wall that's only available to those that cough up a monthly subscription would effectively end its PSB remit, no matter how those that might propose such a suggestion would try and "force" the BBC to keep them - if they have to go fully commercial to survive, then they'll go full commercial in their operations.

It also doesn't suggest how they could enforce a CAS on their radio output via FM & DAB* other than just to close all their stations down.

*MW/LW also in theory, though both the BBC and commercial broadcasters are gradually shutting down these transmissions over time.

By Boiler
I suppose GPS will replace Droitwich as a frequency reference when its filaments glow no more.

The biggest foul-up in recent broadcasting history was that fucking shopkeeper's daughter removing the public service requirement from ITV franchisees. Out of interest, has anyone watched any of PBS America's output on Freeview? It's on an HD mux I can't receive :(

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Fair few samples on youtube - including some Beeb shows
Click

Got my ballot today. 1. Keir Starmer 2.Lisa Nandy […]

Jan Moir

Priti Patel must be the first person to have been […]

Boris Johnson

Yesterday Boris made it clear that getting a trade[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

This is rather excellent. https://medium.com/@[…]