Topics about News International
:sunglasses: 64.2 % ❤ 1.6 % :thumbsup: 12.1 % 😯 0.5 % :grinning: 16.3 % 🧥 1.1 % 🙏 1.6 % 😟 1.6 % :cry: 0.5 % :shit: 0.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By davidjay
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Cyclist wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:31 pm
Being a "fuckin librw in'erlecshul" (sic)* l don't have the mental capacity to sink that low.

A knuckle-dragger in the pub once called me that. He 'thought' he was insulting me!
To repeat one of my regular moans, in what other country would being clever be considered an insult? The nation that gave the world Shakespeare, Dickens and has always punched above its weight in world-changing ideas.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
davidjay wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:32 am
To repeat one of my regular moans, in what other country would being clever be considered an insult? The nation that gave the world Shakespeare, Dickens and has always punched above its weight in world-changing ideas.
'Murica for one. Pretty much the modern day home of rabid & proud anti-intellectualism, capped off by its leader.

IIRC back in the 2012 US Presidential election, in the Republican primaries I think it was Newt Gingrich's campaign team that ran an attack ad on Mitt Romney emphasising the fact that he could speak French. Pour l'amour de Dieu!!...

Meanwhile in Britain, it's not so much that being clever is an insult, it's the kind of cleverness. The same people whom fling out "intellectual" as an insult are the same gobshites whom are easily impressed by Johnson quoting a couple of lines of Greek classical literature, or Gove trying to be articulate and/or throwing in some random Latin word or phrase. Essentially, it's the idea that only the upper class Tories whom are "allowed" to be clever in the mind of say many other Tories across the board, which in turn is an ironic example of tall poppy syndrome from the children of Thatcher.
Cyclist liked this

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
I haven't read this one. I'm not sure I'm even going to. Definitely worth keeping a record of, though...

THE SUN SAYS Today at 11pm, after 30 years of resistance, the great people of the UK will have finally got Brexit done

ON THE stroke of 11pm our nation’s course changes for ever — and for the better. We will finally be out of the EU.

Forty-seven years and 30 days after we joined. Three decades since the rot set in with the drive towards a United States of Europe. Seven years after David Cameron promised a referendum and 3½ traumatic years since Leave won it. It is hard to exaggerate the magnitude of this moment.

Or the relief that Brexit, after all the division and rancour, will at last be done. That our democracy ­ultimately prevailed over those who fought to thwart it.

Other EU nations saw their referendums overturned or ignored. We would not be bullied into a rethink.

It is true that nothing much will change this year during the “transition period”. But at 11pm Brexit becomes irreversible.

We will be the first country to leave the EU. And in The Sun’s view we will never rejoin, never again surrender our independence.

Instead we will be firing the starting gun on a new era full of excitement, potential and promise:

The birth of a new Britain, setting our own laws, controlling our borders and trading independently with the entire world.

This will not be Little Britain — quite the opposite. Brexit is not some nostalgic fantasy about the Empire.

We will be outward-looking, a magnet for the brightest and best migrants — and for those already making a living here, a permanent, welcoming home.

Many Sun readers will be ecstatic to be out. Some not so much. We understand that.

But this paper — which was always pro-Common Market but increasingly eurosceptic as the EU grabbed more and more of our ­sovereignty — backed leaving all the way.

So we want to pay tribute here to the heroes of Brexit, the men and women without whom it would never have happened:

Boris Johnson, who went from eurosceptic Brussels reporter to charismatic figurehead of the Leave campaign and finally to the Prime Minister whose election victory last December 12 assured he could deliver Brexit.

Michael Gove, his cerebral and articulate Cabinet ally who sacrificed political and personal friendships to fight for his principles.

Dominic Cummings, the campaign genius who with Matthew Elliott and the Vote Leave team triumphed against huge odds in 2016 and last year helped orchestrate Boris’s ­decisive win at the polls.

Nigel Farage, the controversial former Ukip chief whose pressure forced David Cameron in 2013 to offer a referendum — and whose Brexit Party then terrified the Tories into getting serious about delivering Brexit in full . . . out of the single market and customs union.

Dan Hannan, the brains behind the project for 30 years, whose powers of persuasion rallied Tories to the cause. His ally Douglas Carswell was pivotal too.

Jacob Rees-Mogg, Iain Duncan Smith, Steve Baker, Bill Cash and their ERG of Tory backbenchers whose refusal to compromise was admirable, even if The Sun did despair of it when it threatened to destroy Brexit entirely.

They have been vindicated. As has the ERG’s founder, the late ex-Tory MP Michael Spicer.

We salute the Tory Cabinet ministers who campaigned for Brexit — notably Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, Home Secretary Priti Patel and Environment Secretary Theresa Villiers.

From the Labour benches, Gisela Stuart and Kate Hoey shattered the Left’s bizarre consensus that the EU is a near-flawless bastion of liberal values and backed Leave.

Ex-Labour MP Caroline Flint, like millions of other Remainers, insisted that upholding the result and our democracy was paramount.

But other heroes and heroines planted the seeds of Brexit much earlier.

Such as Corbyn’s idol Tony Benn, who before the first referendum on our Common Market membership in 1975 rightly said it “would mean the end of Britain as a completely self-governing nation”.

Margaret Thatcher, who in 1988 discovered EC president Jacques Delors plotting to hand back union powers she had removed. She was having none of that — as her famous Bruges speech made clear.

Later, as calls grew for yet more Brussels control, she told the Commons: “No, no, no.”

The Sun’s “Up Yours, Delors” front page in 1990 summarised our own feelings.

Eurosceptic tycoon James Goldsmith launched the Referendum Party in 1994 with just one policy: a vote on EU membership. Three years later Ukip picked up the baton.

But not all our Brexit heroes backed Brexit.

Many of its most outspoken opponents inadvertently steered millions towards Leave, hardened their resolve and even turned Remainers into Brexiteers:

David Cameron, who promised a referendum he was far too confident he would win and catastrophically misjudged the electorate.

George Osborne, whose apocalyptic predictions failed to terrify Leave voters.

Angela Merkel, whose refusal to give Cameron a better deal for Britain cost both dear.

And the EU’s Jean-Claude Juncker, Donald Tusk and Michel Barnier, whose sneering and threats emboldened rather than cowed us. Likewise the EU

Parliament’s Guy Verhofstadt, who foolishly let a camera crew capture his team boasting of turning the UK into a “colony”. Imagine the effect that had.

Then, of course, there’s Jeremy ­Corbyn, who damaged the Remain campaign and then gifted Boris a stonking mandate.

And ex-Lib Dem leader Jo “revoke Brexit” Swinson, who agreed to last month’s election under the delusion she could win it — but managed only to lose her own seat.

There’s John Bercow, the ex-Speaker whose blatant bias and constitutional trickery convinced Leavers they made the right call. And his arrogant Tory co-conspirators Dominic Grieve and Oliver Letwin, who hoped to establish a Remainer pseudo-Government to enforce a second referendum — testing the public’s patience to their own destruction.

Let’s not forget too the former Tories who merely pretended to “respect the referendum”, notably Anna Soubry, who then said single market and customs union membership was inevitable and charmingly told Leavers: “Suck it up”. And how about the glittering cast of Remoaner foghorns?

Take Tony Blair who, but for The Sun and others, would have forced us 20 years ago into the disastrous euro — the “burning building with no exits” as William Hague accurately described it.

Blair, who then opened our borders to a flood of low-skilled migrants, ­further exposing the folly of free movement.

Or his old spin doctor Alastair Campbell and former lackey Andrew Adonis, whose deranged doom-mongering and playground insults hardened Leavers’ hearts and repelled pragmatic Remainers at the same time.

Or John Major, whose decision to adopt the 1992 Maastricht Treaty, tying us even closer to the EU — but without a referendum — turbo-charged euroscepticism. A man whose increasingly shrill anti-Brexit outbursts merely convinced Leavers they were right.

And how about the clueless celebs who thought abusing Leavers would compel them to think the “correct” thoughts? Or the BBC, whose routine europhile propaganda delivered vast numbers of votes for Leave? But there are Brexit heroes still greater than any of these:

'17.4M VOTERS WHO BRAVED EVERY THREAT AND EVERY SLUR'

They are the 17.4million voters, many Sun readers among them, who braved every threat and every slur, backed Leave in 2016 and stuck to their guns last December.

The Sun salutes you.

Brexit will not be plain sailing. We are under no illusions. But we are convinced a fully independent Britain has a rosier future.

And YOU made it happen.
youngian liked this

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Or John Major, whose decision to adopt the 1992 Maastricht Treaty, tying us even closer to the EU — but without a referendum — turbo-charged euroscepticism. A man whose increasingly shrill anti-Brexit outbursts merely convinced Leavers they were right.

The only intervention Major made in the EURef was a photo op walking over the Derry Peace Bridge with Tony Blair. But yeh what the fuck did they know?
Tubby Isaacs liked this

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:28 am
Reads a bit like that Father Ted speech where upon receiving an award, he proceeds to slag everyone off, doesn't it?
Tom Watson, top of class at the seminary, now he's working with pygmies on some south Pacific Island while I'm receiving my Golden Murdoch award.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Back to that poster...

I'm fairly sure I saw Adele in tears at Glastonbury following the referendum, telling the crowd that she thought it was a disaster.

As for the others, I'm hoping that someone takes offence and does them for unauthorised use of their image. And Captain Scott, really? Someone whose claim to fame is basically dying?
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
Briefly off the topic of brexit, there are rumors floating around in Manchester that the attack on Ed Woodward house earlier this week was a stunt the Sun were involved in setting up.

Apparently Woodwards PR rep works for the Sun and they got the photos, the police weren't called for two hours and at the time it happened, at about 9.00 ish at night the house was unoccupied, he has two 6 year Olds and, normally, you would expect kids and at least one parent to be at home on a school night at that time
Boris Johnson

Out of ICU. Now what? Beatification, probably[…]

The Trump Presidency

Trump, in one of his infinite array of saying utte[…]

Alright you lot

Ever had a black pudding Scotch egg? I love i[…]

Round the Blogs

This is a quite brilliant and very interesting blo[…]