Topics about News International
:sunglasses: 64.5 % ❤ 1.6 % :thumbsup: 12.4 % :grinning: 16.1 % 🧥 1.1 % 🙏 1.6 % 😟 1.6 % :cry: 0.5 % :shit: 0.5 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By Dan
Membership Days Membership Days
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:57 pm
It's worth keeping an eye on The Sun regarding this. From the very start they've attempted to play it down a bit, dismissed measures taken by other country's and have backed Boris to the hilt. He's can do no wrong in their eyes and somehow it's the fault of social media. It'll be interesting to see if their loyalty towards Boris waivers as things develop.
[/quote]

It wasn't supposed to be like this.

The first six months of Johnson's election were supposed to be a six months of triumph. Oh, sure, Johnson would pay lip-service to governing for the whole country but it was supposed to be a time of crowing, aggressive victory, licking up the tears of snowflake Remoaners, hurling all the abuse at the EU under the sun and swaggering threats to "walk away" with Corbyn crushed.

This is an event they cannot control and doesn't discriminate between rich or poor, right wing or left. Even their tactic of initially dismissing it as a minor irritant against the Real Business of Brexit has backfired. A population genuinely in fear for the lives of their loved ones aren't going to listen to their mealy words and apart from a dwindling band of lunatics, are going to show little to no tolerance for chest-thumping, Brexit nationalism. Nor is the image they are trying to perfect going to work - a benevolent Sun, pretending to hold "BoJo" to account while cheering on everything he does, lazily typing about "optimism" and "sun-lit uplands".

They don't really care about the human damage of Covid-19 but they do care that they can no longer control the narrative.
Cyclist, Kreuzberger, Safe_Timber_Man and 1 others liked this

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Dan wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:22 am
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:57 pm
It's worth keeping an eye on The Sun regarding this. From the very start they've attempted to play it down a bit, dismissed measures taken by other country's and have backed Boris to the hilt. He's can do no wrong in their eyes and somehow it's the fault of social media. It'll be interesting to see if their loyalty towards Boris waivers as things develop.
It wasn't supposed to be like this.

The first six months of Johnson's election were supposed to be a six months of triumph. Oh, sure, Johnson would pay lip-service to governing for the whole country but it was supposed to be a time of crowing, aggressive victory, licking up the tears of snowflake Remoaners, hurling all the abuse at the EU under the sun and swaggering threats to "walk away" with Corbyn crushed.

This is an event they cannot control and doesn't discriminate between rich or poor, right wing or left. Even their tactic of initially dismissing it as a minor irritant against the Real Business of Brexit has backfired. A population genuinely in fear for the lives of their loved ones aren't going to listen to their mealy words and apart from a dwindling band of lunatics, are going to show little to no tolerance for chest-thumping, Brexit nationalism. Nor is the image they are trying to perfect going to work - a benevolent Sun, pretending to hold "BoJo" to account while cheering on everything he does, lazily typing about "optimism" and "sun-lit uplands".

They don't really care about the human damage of Covid-19 but they do care that they can no longer control the narrative.
They also face one other existential threat.

With all the popular sport cancelled, their main driver for the middle aged C2DE reader is missing.
And i believe that's still their largerst buying demographic.

I can't see many people dashing down the corner shop so they can read the witty repartee in "The Sun Says".
I can't see how the sun turns this around - there's only so much Z-list celeb news they can expand.
Their political and curent affairs coverage is shallow, dire and has little appearl to the regular reader.
They can squeeze out a bit more "The sun says" material, but only at the danger of appearing utterly swivel eyed.
Nobody needs tits in a newspaper when you have a smartphone and the interwebz.
Without sport, their reason to exist is gone.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The Sun was a full backer of Johnson’s Churchillian stand alone strategy. I’m starting to wonder if Cummings’s ‘thinking outside the box’ approach was a high risk political play to show how much smarter Johnson and Brexit Britain is then the Johnny Foreigner so-called experts. This strategy lasted three days.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:23 pm
The Sun was a full backer of Johnson’s Churchillian stand alone strategy. I’m starting to wonder if Cummings’s ‘thinking outside the box’ approach was a high risk political play to show how much smarter Johnson and Brexit Britain is then the Johnny Foreigner so-called experts. This strategy lasted three days.
The whole herd immunity thing sounds like a bad "Cummings and the Incels" cover version.
Just sayin'.
Oblomov liked this

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Your gentle reminder that "Herd Immunity" was not a thing until recently and the re-emergence of measles, courtesy of Cummings, "moms" with exceptional teeth on Social Media, and their Russian mates.

None of this is normal.
Oblomov liked this

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
"LISTEN TO THE EXPERTS...but only the ones we approve of because they're making Boris look competent. Ignore all the rest of them, though, if they criticise Boris."

THE SUN SAYS Now is not the time to try to discredit the Government over coronavirus – the public needs to be advised and informed

AT this time of national crisis, all media outlets should be putting their energy into informing and advising the public.

Instead, a handful of broadcasters used precious air time to promote a motley crew of “scientists” desperately hoping to make their names discrediting the Government’s strategy.

To those who don’t understand virology, not taking the same draconian measures as other countries may seem odd.

But the Prime Minister is acting on the advice of Sir Patrick Vallance and Chris Whitty — eminent doctors ideally equipped to deal with the pandemic.

Of course, their superior expertise shouldn’t exempt them from all scrutiny.

And, given the stakes, the Government MUST publish the details of its modelling to put minds at rest and give expert virologists a chance to have their say.

But puffed-up PhD students with an axe to grind are a far cry from professional epidemiologists.

And British broadcasters should know better than to let them spread panic.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:35 pm
This is a thought that has crossed my mind; could Johnson actually come out of this smelling of roses?
Most likely. Anyone who believed in December that he was a fit person to lead the country in a crisis is not going to be swayed by rational evidence to the contrary.

By Watchman
Membership Days Posts
Agree; given he's a natural born liar, together with the support he'll get from The Scum and The Heil its almost a given.
But what will be the "measure" of this "success"........if we have less deaths than Italy?
By Dan
Membership Days Membership Days
Boiler wrote:
This is a thought that has crossed my mind; could Johnson actually come out of this smelling of roses?
My gut feeling is I don't care regarding this. I'm the furthest thing from a fan of the man but this is a once in a generation crisis that the Government need to get right, no matter what your political views with so many lives at stake. I'd rather the Government get it right and stay in power than get it wrong and not. This is that important.

However, I've been thinking for a few days and a lot of the reports and articles I've seen today suggest hope that this may be the end of "edgelord" politics, of bombastic, nationalistic charlatans booming populist slogans. Trump has tried that throughout this crisis and has fallen on his face, it seems, with the majority simply thinking that enough is enough and the joke is over, ditto people on various forums harping on still about their psychotic obsession with Brexit through this. I feel there's less of a mood to indulge this kind of thing now.

It may be the one positive thing to come out of this, meant with the greatest respect to the severity of the situation.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Boiler wrote:
I’ve changed my mind as I watch his rabbit in the headlights press conference performance. As others have already argued this is an agenda Johnson can’t control, distract from or bullshit that he can. And the emperor has no clothes.
Boris Johnson

I hope so. I'm in similar condition myself...

Dominic Raab

A friend of mine Steve Day just posted this on Fac[…]

Roll Call

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fltlECfjVvU/T_ChlaHJWQI[…]

The Sun

Four years ago it was "They're after more […]