•  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:46 am
Abernathy wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:57 pm
Been watching "The Rise of The Murdoch Dynasty" on BBC2. Good stuff, but a depressing reminder of what a destructive influence this utter cunt has been in his time drawing breath on this planet.

He is 89 years old. Why won't the cunt just die?

Denis Potter was so right about him.
No one challenged the premise of the first episode 'the kingmaker'. Is he really? Or someone who backs winners and is good at persuading them it was the Sun wot wun it. The Sun can have three politically contradictory front pages on its English, Irish and Scottish editions in the same day. And the Sun pulled out all the usual Labour leader crap on Blair before learning early on it wasn't chiming with their readers.
Yet Blair still found it prudent to charm him to get him onside in the lead up to May 97. How was it Alastair Campbell put it? Something like keeping the tiger on a chain in the corner of the room so that it couldn't bite you on the bum or something - I can't recall the precise metaphor he used.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
‘The dog in the corner that’s not going away so stop it barking,’ was something like Campbell’s analogy. I don’t doubt his papers pecking away every day would be a problem but Blair and Brown’s closeness to the Murdoch’s was undignified and unhealthy to government. Although Tony’s ‘friendship’ with Murdoch’s wife Wendy was highly amusing. Murdoch’s only nice to you if you are in a position of power to threaten his interests.

By Abernathy
youngian wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:00 pm
‘The dog in the corner that’s not going away so stop it barking,’ was something like Campbell’s analogy. I don’t doubt his papers pecking away every day would be a problem but Blair and Brown’s closeness to the Murdoch’s was undignified and unhealthy to government. Although Tony’s ‘friendship’ with Murdoch’s wife Wendy was highly amusing. Murdoch’s only nice to you if you are in a position of power to threaten his interests.
Yes, sort of difficult to imagine Starmer developing a similar relationship with Lachlan (Rupes will soon be dead, surely) Murdoch in the next few years, though I wouldn't rule out Starmer coming to some sort of arrangement. Interestingly, Campbell shares your view that there was never any quid pro quo between Blair and Murdoch and it was simply a case of Murdoch detecting which way the wind was blowing and making sure he was on the winning side. I think that's probably correct.

If one thing is for certain, it's that Starmer without a doubt understands the crucial importance to the party's strategy of an effective communications and media operation in a way that his predecessor seemed congenitally incapable of doing, other than whingeing pathetically about being done over by "the MSM".

By Andy McDandy
One problem was that the Sun demanded exclusives, and Labour saw their traditional backers as "in the bag" (Mirror, Grauniad). So why bother cosying up to the safe bets? Meaning that when things went south, the editors of those papers (and ex-editors with media platforms such as Morgan) were much more ambivalent about pulling Labour out of the fire.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The title is flattering as there is no Murdoch dynasty. The biggest revelation was how little of interest this very boring family had to say. Ep 3 saw Murdoch give us his insight into climate change from a toadying in-house interview on one of his Aussie channels. The verifiable nonsense he talked may as well have been Rod Liddle in the pub

The bitterness oozes from their pores. There'[…]

Priti Patel

I dunno about the rest of you all, but the langu[…]

Rishi Sunak

Spain's taken a dip as bad as the UK so there's th[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Aged like Blue Nun in an airing cupboard Or St[…]