•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
AOB wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:56 pm
I wish your son well, Bones. It's a tough life. Well not really because it's as black and white as the gutter press tell us, surely. You get a job that's right and proper in white-van-Ingurland-supporting-land innit? Like driving white vans like all hard men do! Wiv the good ol' Daily Star on the dashboard.

I'd love to know how many new starters at the Star (and others) have told their immediate boss to fuck off, when getting asked to write scurrilous shit. I bet a few have, but we'll never know.

With the benefit of 4 plus decades life experience on this planet, I would truly rather be homeless than write for a tabloid.
Thanks,

I don't think he's set for stardom.
He started doing extra work while a student, because a Saturday shoot would pay more than 4 weeks of shifts at the shoe shop where he'd previously worked.
Being a likeable chap he's progressed to some better work, but nothing like Hollyoaks or the Bill yet.

He's also grounded enough to know that the Plan B jobs that fill the gaps between shooting may well become the full-time job.
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I'm told by friends in the trade that only a fool aims to be the next Brad Pitt or Cameron Diaz. Better to be the next Richard Griffiths or Glenn Morshower - never the star but never out of work.
AOB liked this

By AOB
I noticed today's front page is something along the lines of "Flakes make me millions". The Star is absolutely fucking obsessed with that word, " snowflakes". And if, as a comedian, you are used as supporting evidence by either this rag or The S*n then you really have lost any creativity and originality you may have once had. I'd be mortified if I was used to back up an agenda by either of those sub arse-wipe publications. You really have hit the rock bottom if that happens.

Not quite sure who Ricky Gervais would appeal to these days anyway. He's an atheist who loves animals and bangs on about little else. Maybe the same people who found Jo Brand's 10,465th "I love eating cakes and aren't men stupid?" gag funny, 20 years ago. Even she had the sense to change direction.
By Andy McDandy
Boiler wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:59 am
I always found him an obnoxious cunt. Quite why The Office got the plaudits it did I'll never know.
Because in 2003 not many Brits were familiar with Garry Shandling or Larry David.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
16 years later, this Brit has to Google Garry Shandling

Shandling's spoof late night chat show sit-com Larry Sanders Show is marvellous with loads of sly gags, brilliant lead cast of sit-com losers (which Gervais was influenced by for Brent) and strong comedic situations. Armando Ianucci wanted to make a cross between Larry Sanders and Yes Minister which he did. This is your Christmas box set.
By Andy McDandy
So yeah, he was basically the kid at school whose parents let stay up late to watch Blackadder and Python, and then passed off all the jokes as their own.

By MisterMuncher
Let's see.

Breakout from a semi-cult sitcom he starred in and co-created. Without the tempering influence of the co-creators, ego took over and he began to plough an increasingly narrow and self-referential furrow, eventually killing off that crossover appeal and appealing only to a core audience who think he's the greatest comedian ever.

He's fucking Peter Kay for edgelords.
Boiler, Andy McDandy liked this

By Abernathy
I watched the first episode of The Office, thought Gervaise was a complete arsehole (and that went for Gervaise himself, and not just his character), that it was about as funny as a septic sphincter, and thought to myself that I wouldn't be wasting any more time on it. I'm still bemused that it was as successful as it apparently was.

On the other hand, I enjoyed Extras quite a lot. That might have been down to the presence of the gorgeous Ashley Jensen and some terrific guest star performances, mind.

By AOB
I've not seen The Office for way over a decade, may have seen every episode twice prior. I enjoyed it but I'm not a fan of his. I think it was a comedy of its time, to coin a cliché. It's not something I'd care to watch again. Ricky Gervais is a good example of someone who has been swallowed by celebrity, late in life to fame, not half as edgy as he thinks he is. Just tedious. But post a few updates and pics on your FB page about how dogs are maltreated by humans (because all humans are like this obviously- that line of thought appeals to dog lovers) and you regularly go viral and seen to be "one of us". Caring. "What a lovely man that Ricky Gervais is".

By MisterMuncher
The first series of Extras is decent. As time went on, it became a bit more of an exhibition of just how big a star he could convince to make a dick of themselves. Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen were gold, though, and Kate Winslet gave a great turn.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
My first exposure to Gervais was when he used to inhabit a very sleazy/greasy tabloid journalist type character who held an unhealthy obsession with Charlotte Church, on C4's BIg Breakfast.

By AOB
MisterMuncher wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:56 pm
The first series of Extras is decent. As time went on, it became a bit more of an exhibition of just how big a star he could convince to make a dick of themselves. Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen were gold, though, and Kate Winslet gave a great turn.
Patrick Stewart is faultless in everything he is in. A true acting great.
Nigel Farage

Bollocks. Working that day.

The Brexit Party

Snowballing.... Hey Alex, good to see you are ta[…]

Boris Johnson

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson_MP/status/1194377[…]

Zelo Street

Me no understandee.