For other types of media
:sunglasses: 38.9 % :thumbsup: 16.7 % :grinning: 38.9 % 😟 5.6 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Tell me this, Alexa owners.

I have a large amount of music on a XMB/NAS box in my house. I assume an Alexa or Google speaker could find this and play it, yes?

How complex of an instruction set does it understand?

What I want is this:
Music is, by default, on shuffle.
If I hear a song that takes my fancy, I want to be able to jump to the start of the album that contains it and play it in full, should the notion take me. Ideally, this would also allow me to listen to the artists entire catalogue (such as I have it) once said album is over.

The weird thing is that my car stereo does this, albeit from an iPod in the dash, and it's exactly how I've wanted music players to work since forever. If Alexa can, I'd officially be interested.
Could it pick out a song from minimal information? There was a record I remember hearing quite a bit on Radio Luxembourg in the early part of the summer of 76, in the evenings, and I can't remember who the singer was, i think the song was called Oh my Jo, it was never a hit and I haven't heard it since. Would Alexa know?
mr angry manchester wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:56 pm
Could it pick out a song from minimal information? There was a record I remember hearing quite a bit on Radio Luxembourg in the early part of the summer of 76, in the evenings, and I can't remember who the singer was, i think the song was called Oh my Jo, it was never a hit and I haven't heard it since. Would Alexa know?
There are other things that can do this too. Shazam being the most notable. Alexa probably uses that, even.
I'm a Luddite on this, Alexa just does not appeal. Taking Mr Angry's situation re a half-remembered song; I would enjoy the act of researching myself, and being amazed at the other facts such research throws up.

The more malevolent in me is tempted, when in someone's home, to leave the following instruction on Alexa...."Play Megadeath at 3:00 in the morning".........Should I seek treatment for this ?
We were playing with Alexa at work the other day. Asking it what naughty words and phrases were in other languages. For reasons.
Andy McDandy wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:29 am
We were playing with Alexa at work the other day. Asking it what naughty words and phrases were in other languages. For reasons.
21st century equivalent of looking up mucky words in the dictionary! (There weren’t any in the little ones we had at school btw)
Andy McDandy liked this
Watchman wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:50 am
The more malevolent in me is tempted, when in someone's home, to leave the following instruction on Alexa...."Play Megadeath at 3:00 in the morning".........Should I seek treatment for this ?
On a related note, never leave me alone with a Sky remote unless you want the planner full of reminders for no budget dating shows and Santa With Muscles.
Watchman wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:01 pm
MisterMuncher wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:14 am
Yes.

Megadeth are shite.

Couldn't agree more...just wanted something what was just a mindless noise
Harrison Birtwhistle :twisted:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1063393918719[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

https://twitter.com/rachaelvenables/status/1063378[…]

Michael Gove