For other types of media
  •  
By ponce on the heath
Membership Days
Althea wrote:I wish he'd stop with insulting minority groups. It's not big and it's not clever.
Around the time of the Ross/Brand saga, Carr went on radio (2, I think) to defend the need for offensive comedy. You should have a a gander at it, although I can't remember quite what was said, he convinced me that there's a world of difference between how Carr tells those kinds of jokes compared to how people like Davidson do. Not the best defence in the world, but it's important to differentiate between a joke where the target is the minority, and one where the target is the person laughing at the minority (if that makes sense.)
By TOONARMY
Membership Days
crabcakes_windermere wrote:
Althea wrote:Jimmy Carr's joke making:

Can I make a joke about women with penises? Yes.
Shall I follow it up with my godsawful laugh? Yes.

"Did she give you a little prick? HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAA"
Despite not being a particularly big fan of his, I've ended up seeing Jimmy Carr live twice in consecutive years. Yes, there's a bit of the "prick gag" stuff, but he does clearly work on his routines (both years were new stuff) and he was absolutely razor sharp with the audience - and both times, he told the audience he'd be in the foyer happy to sign stuff and have a chat after the show - and he was, immediately after being onstage for 2 hours. In fact, he got out there and was signing stuff before I'd even got to the bloody exit of the auditorium, so he can't even have had time for a slash.
I also have seen him twice and he signed autographs both those evenings. Another comedian who will also sign autographs and chat is Stewart Lee.

He might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I absolutely can't fault his work rate or his commitment to his fans.
By ACG
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Resurrecting this thread because I watched Peter Greenaway's A Zed & Two Noughts today. It's really a brilliant film, but I spent about the first 20 minutes of it with a tilted head and confused expression as I tried to get my head around "...Is that, Jim Davidson?".

It was, and he was rather good in his role.

As an unsympathetic toadying cunt.
By Adam
Incomprehensible film, that. Greenaway tends to be either dazzling or baffling with no indication of which may be which. Although obviously the Michael Nyman score is great and the time-lapse footage of the decomposing animals is mesmerising. But yeah, the presence of Davidson does take you aback.
By shyamz
Davidson gets pissy as lefty comic who made it to final of Hell's Kitchen when he couldn't, wins Masterchef 2013:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... acism.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(p.s, I know he and Edmondson weren't in the same series of Hell's Kitchen, but after Jimmy got kicked out when he was on, it's clear he cannot stand the idea of the kind of lefty comic he hates doing better than him in the same show and then winning another cooking contests to boot).

These views some people hold of you aren't new by any meany Jimmy, it cannot be that much of a surprise to you. Your constant whining is boring everyone. Now fuck off.
By Fozzy
What's hilarious is that in producing this whinge he's simply exposing his inherent misogyny on top of everything else, by virtue of his assumption that having a successful wife is somehow something to be ashamed of. Someone needs to tell him about the virtues of ceasing to dig when you're in a hole.

By davidjay
Fozzy wrote:What's hilarious is that in producing this whinge he's simply exposing his inherent misogyny on top of everything else, by virtue of his assumption that having a successful wife is somehow something to be ashamed of. Someone needs to tell him about the virtues of ceasing to dig when you're in a hole.
Comedians are never described as "right-wing" are they?

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Adam wrote:Incomprehensible film, that. Greenaway tends to be either dazzling or baffling with no indication of which may be which. Although obviously the Michael Nyman score is great and the time-lapse footage of the decomposing animals is mesmerising. But yeah, the presence of Davidson does take you aback.
Have to check that out. Nearly as odd is Freddie Starr co-starring to Stacey Keach in Michael Apted's crime film the Squeeze. He's pretty good as well.

By davidjay
Andy McDandy wrote:I remember seeing Starr playing a drug baron in something and being surprisingly good.
I can imagine that because he's always played out his onstage role. Davidson going on stage and being a racist, misogynistic, homophobic bigot requires no acting ability on his part whatsoever.
By shyamz
He knows the show will be covered heavy by all the papers that favour it, so he's watching his every word (it'll be killing him for sure).
Don't forget he was also in Hell's Kitchen years ago with Lee, who didn't like him and who he got into an argument with. He won't factor in Lee's life, but Davidson won't want to rile him up too much in case another argument starts and Lee brings all that up. Don't give him any credit, he's stll a twat.

And he's afraid of offending the ex boxer in the house, which he could easily do, and we know how.
Jeremy Corbyn.

This is quite interesting. It is one of the more c[…]

Sad Faces in Local Papers

Northern Irish local newspapers are generally quit[…]

If.

The Northern Irish thread

https://twitter.com/wee_baldy_ian/status/116487823[…]