•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
The report into Savile's behaviour in Stoke Mandeville was released this morning.

Most of the details of the abuse are already out there but the investigation into how it was allowed to happen is quite extraordinary. Part of the blame lies squarely with the way the government allowed third party funding of an NHS hospital without controls and the report author said that the patronage of Thatcher meant he was an untouchable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31637320" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Savile met Margaret Thatcher, then prime minister, to discuss the funding of Stoke Mandeville's spinal injuries unit in 1980 - and in the same year was appointed to oversee fundraising and rebuilding of the unit.

Dr Johnstone said supervision of Savile at this time was "absent" and - with "statutory functions… in the hands of a celebrity fundraiser" - government and NHS "lost control" of the project

There were a number of probing questions from the assembled hacks about various details and eventually a Daily Mail reporter got hold of the microphone and his single question was, 'How much has this inquiry cost?'. You can guess the line that will be taken by The Mail and, of course, pointing out that Jimmy Savile is still dead.
By Andy McDandy
I think it was a combination of 3 things.

1. Sexually perverted psychopath.
2. Powerful friends.
3. Dirt on people.

He threatened, blackmailed, coerced people. He understood how organisations worked, and used that to his advantage. Do him a favour and turn a blind eye to something minor because he's loveable clunk click Jimmy, then he's got something on you when he needs a bigger favour. Remember his comments to Edwina Currie on strikebreaking?

Would it happen today? I don't think so, at least the way he did it. Access and safeguarding are taken more seriously, and I think we're more ready to believe accusations when they're made. We're more cynical but this isn't always a bad thing. I remember when Rolf Harris went down, the number of people saying that they felt their childhoods had been shattered. But we don't really ave these ubiquitous family entertainers any more - perhaps a byproduct of the fragmentation of the media.

But what does prevail is the 'little slags got what they deserved' attitude - that or flat out refusal to listen.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Gary Glitter jailed for 16 years

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-31657929" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
His mugshot photo makes him looking like he's morphing into George Galloway. :o

Funnily enough I was talking about Glitter yesterday in a computer shop concerning privacy when dealing with hard drive content when doing repairs. Didn't realise he was actually on trial.

By crabcakes_windermere
Membership Days Posts
Have seen a few tweets saying Clarkson should be harshly dealt with because look what happened before when the BBC didn't deal with presenters, implying Savile and chums.

Twat as JC is, I'm more than a little uncomfortable with people - pretty much exclusively left-wingers - suggesting he be more severely bollocked for an absolutely unrelated and considerably less serious and disturbing infringement just because in the 1970s/80s something far worse was brushed under the carpet.

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
crabcakes_windermere wrote:Have seen a few tweets saying Clarkson should be harshly dealt with because look what happened before when the BBC didn't deal with presenters, implying Savile and chums.

Twat as JC is, I'm more than a little uncomfortable with people - pretty much exclusively left-wingers - suggesting he be more severely bollocked for an absolutely unrelated and considerably less serious and disturbing infringement just because in the 1970s/80s something far worse was brushed under the carpet.
I'd like to see the law take it's course.

JC's a bit of an immature dick, and if he's been shown to be loose with his fists deserves due process (I'll cut him slack for Piers Morgan).
I wouldn't rate him up there with Saville, Travis, Hall, Harris...
By satnav
Membership Days Posts
I think what the Clarkson story has done is illustrate exactly what happens when a high profile celebrity faces any kind of disciplinary action. In the real world if an employee punched a senior manager at work the employee would be out of the door for gross misconduct. Why should it be any difference if a high profile celebrity assaults someone in the work place?

While lots of people may have had suspicions about Savile would a producer or programme controller have had the bottle to take action against him unless the evidence was 100% water tight?
By Andy McDandy
Very good lawyers, an almighty stink for all concerned, and the 'court of public opinion'. Clarkson's a god in the eyes of his fans. To those wanting to believe this is a stitch up by the lefty establishment, nothing will change that 'fact' in their minds. Nor will anything convince his detractors that he didn't 'have it coming'.

Compare and contrast Savile with Rolf Harris - in the latter case there seemed a sense of genuine disappointment, of 'oh no, not him'. Right up until he was convicted, he was popularly regarded as an affable and competent entertainer and TV presenter, capable artist, and so on. In contrast, Savile was - post retirement - viewed as a joke, a bit creepy, a sense of 'what in the world were we on, giving him airtime?'. His final TV appearances (HIGNFY, Theroux etc) were always underscored with 'let's laugh at this old fucker'.

Call it the Polanski factor - it's always better when your shamed celebs are a bit naff to start with. Less trouble reevaluating their output.

By spoonman
Membership Days Posts
It kinds of worries me that with what is going on in the world, that around half a million people sign an online petition calling for someone to be reinstated to their job, when they were suspended allegedly for assaulting a workplace colleague.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
His popularity around Europe and beyond is huge. I can only guess that a lot of people like cars and Top Gear is possibly the only programme that covers the subject in a entertaining and innovative way whose format translates to any country. I'm sure Top Gear would survive post Clarkson. Chris Evans springs to mind for some reason.

By Abernathy
My recollection is that Top Gear used to be a lot better when it really was a show about cars and not just three utter wankers dicking about for shits and giggles.
Labour, Generally.

Personal right to anonymity? I think the lion's […]

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/68b73f33935eed6d85[…]

Toby Young

It's a fair summary of his entire life and career.[…]

Back in 1991, various people said that the sures[…]