•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Laura Kuenssberg @ITVLauraK

Court considering whether Euro Central Bank's massive pumping of cash into battered eurozone banks was legal or not - if not, chaos beckons
The what? This is what's on trial.
Outright Monetary Transactions ("OMT") is a program of the European Central Bank under which the bank makes purchases ("outright transactions") in secondary, sovereign bond markets, under certain conditions, of bonds issued by Eurozone member-states.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
She should know a lot, she's a journalist and its her job to study the brief. And business is not the trickiest subject on the planet.

Although discussing the finer points of ECB policy is straying from a business remit. Or are they the same thing on ITV news?

I can't say personally as I switch off ITV news as soon as the non-ironic Day Today theme tune and graphics come on.
Last edited by youngian on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
There was a programme on Saturday celebrating Granada Television.

As Paxman said World in Action was the greatest current affairs programme ever. ITV now has Tonight with Trevor MacDonald. Not good enough is it.
Last edited by youngian on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:There was a programme on Saturday celebrating the Granada Television.

As Paxman said World in Action was the greatest current affiars programme ever. ITV now has Tonight with Trevor MacDonald. Not good enough is it.
Yep. Something else we can thank St Mags for - the 1990 Broadcasting Act. Even quite a few leading Tories were unhappy with that one.
By Lord Brett
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I can recommend Ray Fitzwalter's book The Dram that Died, which details the dismemberment of ITV from the point of view of a Granada insider. The company was fatally weakened by government intervention while Murdoch got a free ride to do whatever he wanted with his ever expanding Sky empire.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Dream-That- ... 1906221839" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
That looks like an interesting read. And what was so depressing was how quickly ITV tanked as a serious creative force in TV. It wasn't even a gradual decline.

Not just Granada and Thames but characters like Lou Grade, who the BBC patricians dismissed as a tatty song and dance man, had a fine record in commissioning a diverse range of interesting drama, plays and documentary.

Where in hell they found whoever ran ITV post-1990 is a story I would like to read about.
Last edited by youngian on Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BeaBoyd
Membership Days
AOB wrote:ITV news has long been sensationalist crap. Look at the way that dickhead Alistair Stewart shouts what's coming up in the News at Ten in ad breaks in the programme beforehand in a tabloid headline kind of way. That Julie Etchingham does me head in too.
In exactly the same way you get your BBC local news anchors telling us about the BBC local news that's coming after the BBC 6pm news half way through the BBC 6pm news. Or the like the BBC continuity announcers telling us what programme is coming next after the advert for BBC's Strictly, or after BBC's Eastenders. Or maybe like the BBC announcer who announces what comes next on BBC3 after they have had the silly 1 minute BBC news for the brain-dead who's attention span can barely last 60 seconds.
Boris Johnson

So after 40 months, three prime ministers, billion[…]

The Mail & Climate Change

This from an ex-pupil (and ex-Facebook friend) of […]

Piers Morgan

He's started a fight with Matt Lucas and David Wal[…]

Mark Francois MP

Trending on twitter again. Some mirth to be had.[…]