•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Many of those LWT offerings will have the finger prints of Vince Powell or the other two Ronnies (Chesney and Wolfe) on them.

Although that Worst British Sitcoms list is from 2003, before Amanda Holden made any sit-coms or Ben Elton penned the Wright Way.
Last edited by youngian on Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:I can put my hand on my heart (or where it should be) and say I have never seen a single episode of any of those shows.
Or Crossroads, Triangle, East Enders or Coronation Street since about 1966. Ditto Big Brother, X Factor, The Apprentice, Britain's Got Talent, The Voice, Dancing with Whatever or Celebrity Get Me A Sandwich.

I find the best defence from that sort of thing is not to watch it.
Me too. With the exception of Coronation Street, which stands apart. If it was good enough for Betjeman, it's more than good enough for me.

I may also be the only man in Christendom that has never viewed a single episode of "Friends".

By Killer Whale
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:Never saw it. Was it any good?
It was an attempt to transfer the surreal radio show The Burkiss Way to television, and it worked because the writers seemed very aware of which gags wouldn't make the switch and the potential to replace them with visual stuff. Featured Fred Harris off of Playschool. Fact.

I'm pretty sure we've discussed this before. :?

By Malcolm Armsteen
I think I saw a couple. Not impressed.

I'm just outside contemporary culture, I guess. Perhaps I should change my avatar back to Cato the Censorious.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Worst British Sitcoms

Here's the source http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/se ... ing.uknews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Right. So. The source is bereft of sources so it's all a lot of bollocks unless we accept that Mr & Mrs was the absolute pinnacle of light entertainment because it once did 100 homes.

It's a truism of telly, or it was before you could run closed pilots on Vimeo, that you had to create a few turkeys before you found a golden egg and this list shows that, at least, the wealthier of the Paranoid Monopolist Bastard franchisees were prepared to have a go.

Malc, you forgot El Dorado.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Kreuzberger wrote:
Littlejohn's brain wrote:Worst British Sitcoms

Here's the source http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/se ... ing.uknews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Right. So. The source is bereft of sources so it's all a lot of bollocks unless we accept that Mr & Mrs was the absolute pinnacle of light entertainment because it once did 100 homes.

It's a truism of telly, or it was before you could run closed pilots on Vimeo, that you had to create a few turkeys before you found a golden egg and this list shows that, at least, the wealthier of the Paranoid Monopolist Bastard franchisees were prepared to have a go.

Malc, you forgot El Dorado.
No, I watched a few episodes of Eldorado to see just how bad it really was. It really was.
By BeaBoyd
Membership Days
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:Oh you are a sadly obsessed little person, aren't you...
Obsession. ON HERE?! You're having a laugh :D :D
Arnold wrote:
Nothing but hot air! Arts Council spends £500,000 over 15 months on six-mile steam spiral project that never got off the ground

5% of the money wasted on yesterday's funeral. And since when was the River Mersey in the Wirral?
- Alfred , London, United Kingdom, 18/4/2013 11:41
Click to rate Rating 1
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2QoJclXgf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Arnold wrote:Even domestic violence/mental health issues are hilarious now.

Off her trolley! Elderly woman throws ALL her shopping at man in hilarious street argument caught on video

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z2UsLZyMOV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's plenty of examples of obsessiveness on here, but I have singled out a few of Arnold's postings because he takes media, sorry, DM watching, to seriously obsessive heights. It must be his job to read every single article every day on the DM because he comments on just about everything. I can't find the pedantic spelling error thread but that was full of quotes of misplaced apostrophes.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Kreuzberger wrote: It's a truism of telly, or it was before you could run closed pilots on Vimeo, that you had to create a few turkeys before you found a golden egg and this list shows that, at least, the wealthier of the Paranoid Monopolist Bastard franchisees were prepared to have a go.
That is what is so puzzling. As ITV commissioned so many sitcoms it is surprising it didn't have a better hit rate.

By Malcolm Armsteen
That depends on whether or not you were the target audience. I wasn't, and didn't like them. My stepfather was, and he lapped 'em up.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:That depends on whether or not you were the target audience. I wasn't, and didn't like them. My stepfather was, and he lapped 'em up.
Early-peak was always a carve up between ITV and BBC. The old, down-market and female demographic was ITV's for the taking and the real battles didn't start until 21:00.
The Mail & Climate Change

Yes, it's been doing the rounds. The problem with[…]

Boris Johnson

"Remoaner Leftie Traitors." Don't even […]

Labour, Generally.

So all this talk of greater party democracy was ju[…]

Piers Morgan

He's started a fight with Matt Lucas and David Wal[…]