For other types of media
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Winegums
Membership Days Posts
UKIPs number one celebrity fan Jamie Oliver has recently said another thing, so I've made a thread for him. This time he's amazed poor people eat chips and watch TV:

Jamie Oliver bemoans chips, cheese and giant TVs of modern-day poverty
Some poorer Britons choose to eat "chips and cheese out of Stryrofoam containers" while sitting in a room with a "massive fucking TV", Jamie Oliver has said, adding that he cannot understand "modern-day poverty in Britain".

The celebrity chef made the remarks while promoting his next television project, which he hopes will encourage healthy eating by people on modest incomes. In an interview with the Radio Times, Oliver expressed bewilderment that poorer Britons would choose cheap fast food while spending their money elsewhere.

"I'm not judgmental, but I've spent a lot of time in poor communities, and I find it quite hard to talk about modern-day poverty. You might remember that scene in [a previous series] Ministry of Food, with the mum and the kid eating chips and cheese out of Styrofoam containers, and behind them is a massive fucking TV. It just didn't weigh up.

"The fascinating thing for me is that seven times out of 10, the poorest families in this country choose the most expensive way to hydrate and feed their families. The ready meals, the convenience foods."

Oliver, who has campaigned for improved diets since his Channel 4 show Jamie's School Dinners in 2005, urged people to switch from shopping at supermarkets to buying smaller quantities of groceries from their local market. He said that Britain had much to learn from Italy and Spain about buying fresh produce and eating well on a limited budget.

Oliver said more people would take more notice of their food bills if they were told that after a mortgage, the amount they spent at supermarkets would be the largest financial outlay of their lives. But he complained that most people were more loyal to a particular supermarket "than any religion or brand".

"One of the other things we look at in the series is going to your local market, which is cheaper anyway, but also they don't dictate size," Oliver said. "From a supermarket you're going to buy a 200g bag of this or a 400g pack of that. If you're going past a market, you can just grab 10 mange tout for dinner that night, and you don't waste anything."

He also urged people to look overseas to learn how to eat well on a limited budget. "Some of the most inspirational food in the world comes from areas where people are financially challenged. The flavour comes from a cheap cut of meat, or something that's slow-cooked, or an amazing texture's been made out of leftover stale bread," said Oliver, who was promoting his new Channel 4 series, Jamie's Money Saving Meals.

"I meet people who say, 'You don't understand what it's like.' I just want to hug them and teleport them to the Sicilian street cleaner who has 25 mussels, 10 cherry tomatoes, and a packet of spaghetti for 60 pence, and knocks out the most amazing pasta. You go to Italy or Spain and they eat well on not much money. We've missed out on that in Britain, somehow."

Imran Hussain, head of policy at the Child Poverty Action Group, said: "Jamie Oliver is right to say that healthy food doesn't always have to be expensive … but for many families it's low income which gets in the way of healthy eating."

Hussain added: "As official statistics show, parents of poor children are much less likely to be able to afford fresh fruit for their children. We also know from the evidence that as the incomes of poor families rise, they spend more on things like healthy food and children's clothes.
Best bits in bold. He really will fit in well at UKIP. "poors aren't that poor, they have big TVs". He could've made a nice point about access to healthy food and education and cost of living and all this sort of stuff, but instead it's a bit of prole bashing.

And of course the point that you can go to spain and eat a full healthy meal for 60p is totally irrelevant. IT'S A DIFFERENT FUCKING COUNTRY.

I hope next time he steps foot in a school to promote more of his school meals shit he gets an earful.
By sporran
Membership Days Posts
Like all the other twats who constantly go on about poor people's TVs, he overlooks the fact that massive fucking TVs are the norm nowadays and relatively cheap. The cost for a family of four to start buying fresh produce out of Sainsbury's would considerably outweigh the price of a massive fucking TV after only a few months.

By The Red Arrow
Membership Days Posts
Nigella Farage ‏@NigellaFarage

Remove excess water from salad greens with the help of a tosser. If Jamie Oliver isn't available, try using a tea towel
Nigella Farage ‏@NigellaFarage

If you don't have any money for food, sell your TV. That way you won't have to watch Jamie Oliver telling you how lazy you are
https://twitter.com/NigellaFarage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Malcolm Armsteen
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Oliver suffers from the Fearnley-Whittingstall Affectation. Brought up in middle class surroundings he has no idea that poor people actually struggle to find enough to feed their families. So they buy cheap, not expensive fruit & veg, not free range chickens (cook the whole chicken and boil the carcass for stock, dears). The finer points of nutritional science pale into insignificance compared to keeping your kids fed.

Makes me very cross. Iceland does more to feed the poor than either the government or millionaire TV chefs.

In fact those very thoughts were going through my head, with some associated guilt, when I went to the Farm Shop today and bought the expensive veggies and handmade sauces and stuff. If I was poor, I wouldn't be within a mile of the place.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
Multi-multi-millionaire Jamie Oliver finds it 'hard to talk about poverty'? At least he's right about something, the prick. Worth remembering, also, that he's another one aboard the workfare gravy train.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17214763" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
By Andy McDandy
You know why people go to supermarkets rather than street markets, Jamie?

Trolleys and parking. Try fitting a week's shop in a hand basket.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:You know why people go to supermarkets rather than street markets, Jamie?

This silly twat promoted Sainsbury's for years. Now he has the gall to moan at people for shopping at supermarkets. He's a fucking halfwit. Newsflash, Jamie - loads of independent retailers have ceased to exist having been driven out of business by, er, supermarkets.
By Fozzy
He's also completely ignorant of simple practicalities. Try pushing a buggy holding a fractious baby round a crowded market whilst holding on to a bored toddler, and see how much time you really want to spend visiting different stalls checking out the bargains. Then go home on the bus with said buggy plus toddler plus four carrier bags full of potatoes, carrots, onions, fruit etc and try to get the lot up to the 9th floor of a block of flats with a broken lift.

By Malcolm Armsteen
Andy McDandy wrote:You know why people go to supermarkets rather than street markets, Jamie?

Nah, mate. Go down a market with yer scooter, innit? Pukka.
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
His ludicrous comments about the lavish diets of Sicilian street cleaners gives a taste of what to expect . In Jamie Oliver’s pampered mind it appears he thinks everyone has a farmer’s market just down the road. No-one has mobility problems, and so can easily drag home bags of shopping, even if the plebs don’t have a car. The electricity and gas required to slow cook cheap cuts of meat never runs out. Hard pressed single parents can simply pop out to browse the artisan stalls outside the local Poundstretcher, whilst pensioners should just pick up some cherry tomatoes and fresh fucking mussels at the off licence on the way home from the Bingo.

Just add a dash of olive oil, a sprig of fresh basil from the garden and a splash of red wine from the cellar and stir up on the Aga for a cheap and refreshing treat that at current prices would cost more than many people’s food budget for a weekend. This prick knows nothing of the lives of millions of people in this country who face desperate poverty.

If Oliver had actually set foot anywhere but Waitrose (except to get paid) in the last 20 years, he might have seen how ‘value food’ – cheap shit with a poor nutritional value – dominates the shopping trollies in the poorest areas. He might even notice that in areas where there are cheap take-aways, a bucket of chicken and chips will feed a small family for the price of one of his ready meals. Perhaps he would even have taken some responsibility for his role in promoting the supermarket dominance which has forced millions of people to buy over-priced and unhealthy food because as anyone poor knows, it is usually the cheapest option. And in areas where supermarkets have closed the local shops and markets down, it is increasing the only option.
http://johnnyvoid.wordpress.com/2013/08 ... ie-oliver/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yep.
By Andy McDandy
Also, if street markets in his neck of the wood are anything like ones round here, it's less fresh fruit and interesting cheeses, and more knock-off sportswear, moody electricals and three lighters for a pound.
By sporran
Membership Days Posts
TopBoy | August 27, 2013 at 3:24 pm

Really? I think you’re missing his point entirely. Jamie is actually saying – with very little effort, its possible to eat healthily for the same price as it is to eat a bucket of the shite that a large proportion of the buggy pushing peasants in velour tracksuits in this country feed to their unruly spawn. Its laziness and ignorance that leads people to believe that its ok to spend a tenner on shite, instead of spending the same tenner on some healthier alternatives, and still manage to feed your fucking family. Fucking peasants.
If you can say one thing for Jamie Oliver, he knows his audience.
By mojojojo
Membership Days Posts
Fozzy wrote:He's also completely ignorant of simple practicalities. Try pushing a buggy holding a fractious baby round a crowded market whilst holding on to a bored toddler, and see how much time you really want to spend visiting different stalls checking out the bargains. Then go home on the bus with said buggy plus toddler plus four carrier bags full of potatoes, carrots, onions, fruit etc and try to get the lot up to the 9th floor of a block of flats with a broken lift.
Then entertain those kids while you fanny about peeling the spuds and preparing something that's just to die for. I guess the au pair can do that.
By Andy McDandy
He reminds me of something I read about Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. Apparently he got started when he was a skint student and wrote some articles for newspapers and magazines. Fine, but how many of us at age 21 would even know how to approach a newspaper or magazine? It helps when your folks are friends with the editor, and know the essentials - who to approach, what people are looking for, what's the correct format and layout etc.

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1184444300[…]

The Mail & Climate Change

Yes, it's been doing the rounds. The problem with[…]

Boris Johnson

"Remoaner Leftie Traitors." Don't even […]

Labour, Generally.

So all this talk of greater party democracy was ju[…]