•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Have we got a radio thread?

Anyway I'll start with a moan about R4's excruciating Now Show. Like a mixture an end of term student revue and the News Huddlines for the under 80s. Full of feeble gags and observation and one my pet peeves, impressionists who clumsily announce their impressions; "Yes its me Frank Spencer, ooh Betty".
By Squeaker
Membership Days Posts
A couple of weeks ago they had someone screeching a song about Angela Merkel where the end of every line rhymed (badly) with Merkel. I can't be more specific because I turned it off after the first verse, it was the first time in years that I'd bothered to walk across the kitchen and switch something off, that's how bad it was.

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Mitch Benn. We're meant to find his "amusing" comedy songs hilarious, but they rarely work.

He did rather redeem himself with this, mind :

[youtube]p3q2iZuU5WM[/youtube]

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Meanwhile Radio 3 is broadcasting the Free Thinking Festival of Ideas-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/efd2fx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also some archives from last year including an interview with Michael Ignatieff who showed that frontline politics is sadly not a great place for intellectuals.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
I was surprised what an eclectic mix there was out there on R3 once I started listening online. World Service has some odd stuff, DJs you thought were long dead with audieces of 50 million.Tommy Vance for eg used to have a show catering to far flung metal fans in Lagos and Mumbai.
Last edited by youngian on Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By D.C. Harrison
Membership Days Posts
Fozzy wrote:I never knew Tommy Vance was still going. Years ago I used to find him intensely irritating when he was on whatever radio station I was listening to at the time.
He's certainly not "going" much these days.

By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
youngian wrote:Have we got a radio thread?

Anyway I'll start with a moan about R4's excruciating Now Show. Like a mixture an end of term student revue and the News Huddlines for the under 80s. Full of feeble gags and observation and one my pet peeves, impressionists who clumsily announce their impressions; "Yes its me Frank Spencer, ooh Betty".

I like it.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
I missed the live broadcast and have just listened to the repeat and, whilst it wasn't the best episode ever (the jam sequence was a bit laboured), it was fine, I thought.

I'm actually quite surprised at the strength of the negative sentiment here. Each to their own, I suppose, but I do rather like the hand-bashed format, the running gags and the fact that it must make Shapps' blood boil.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Fozzy wrote:I never knew Tommy Vance was still going. Years ago I used to find him intensely irritating when he was on whatever radio station I was listening to at the time.
I warmed to him a couple of times in recent years. One was for being the only Brass Eye victim to say what a dick he was and that Chris Morris is a comic genius. The other was for telling Gordon Ramsey to fuck off and walk out of his programmed puzzled why anyone would stand there on TV getting humiliated and bullied by a twat like him.
Peter Hitchens

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-7464891[…]

Local journalism at its best

The sad thing is... before all the surgery she w[…]

Boris Johnson

Also, on the front page Johnson says that he'll br[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Not big, not clever, but made me chuckle. https:[…]