•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
I do find myself instantly wary of anyone who shoehorns titles/credentials into their introduction if there's no reason to do so.

Similarly, anyone with an internet handle that includes a qualification is a fucking loon until proven otherwise
By Andy McDandy
I'm much of the opinion that if you have to boast about titles, qualifications etc, you're a bit of a twat.

See also, Mensa membership.
Abernathy liked this

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:43 pm
I'm much of the opinion that if you have to boast about titles, qualifications etc, you're a bit of a twat.

See also, Mensa membership.
Mensa - worst brag of them all - "I done a quiz!"
By SoulBoy
Membership Days Posts
I won't hear a word against Floella. She is a truly tireless charity ambassador, full of energy and looking fresh faced as she approaches her seventies. I met her a few times when I did some fundraising for Barnardo's. A truly inspirational speaker with great stories to tell about her strict Trini upbringing. I'd have to check the numbers but I think she ran her first marathon in her fifties, ran eleven London marathons and her words were running through my head when I hit the dreaded Wall.

One of the good people, I'd say.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
I'm just catching up, too.

It might well be that the commercial broadcaster, Global, has been trying to maximise its audience with the scripts for these trails. I doubt that Dame Floella hat much executive input.

"He who pays the woman off Play School, calls the tune.", as the old proverb might have gone.

By Malcolm Armsteen
One of the kids I taught is now a Baroness, and another is the son of a Baroness. Both very well merited.

By Abernathy
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:27 pm
One of the kids I taught is now a Baroness, and another is the son of a Baroness. Both very well merited.
Whether the peerage is well merited or not isn't the point. It's whether they draw attention to it.

By Malcolm Armsteen
It depends on why they were given it - in the case of the young woman I taught it was to advocate for breast cancer awareness - so using the title could, in some circumstances, increase her influence. I suspect the same applies for Baroness Benjamin of Beckenham. A non-working peer, not so much.

I always use the honorific 'Doctor' for those to whom it applies. It acknowledges their achievement. This comes from schools, where it is the norm.
By Andy McDandy
I've a friend who works as a patent clerk. His opinion on American firms eyeing up post-Brexit Britain is interesting, if NSFW. His view of American law is "what you can get away with".

By Abernathy
youngian wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:38 am
Especially when its not even a real title. In America, you make colonel by chucking chicken in a bucket or stealing Elvis's money.
One of my rules of thumb is to be instantly suspicious of any American that styles him/herself as "pastor".

By Cyclist
Membership Days Posts
Abernathy wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:55 pm
youngian wrote:
Especially when its not even a real title. In America, you make colonel by chucking chicken in a bucket or stealing Elvis's money.
One of my rules of thumb is to be instantly suspicious of any American that styles him/herself as "pastor".
Especially when, on the intellectual level, they're usually more like "pasta"

By MisterMuncher
Abernathy wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:55 pm
youngian wrote:
Applies very much in Norn Iron too. "Pastor" pretty much means Womble who found God in Long Kesh.

I think it may have been the insistent terminology of The Very Rev. Doctor Ian Paisley that have me a certain aversion to such stylings.
spoonman liked this

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:12 am
I've a friend who works as a patent clerk. His opinion on American firms eyeing up post-Brexit Britain is interesting, if NSFW. His view of American law is "what you can get away with".
America's patent system is rather unique.
It seems to play fast and loose with the concept of "prior art".
The bar on triviality (can I patent basic arithmentic methods) is laughably low.
It's also rather weak on stuff that's "not invented here".
David Cameron

Kicking a man over the death of his disabled son […]

The Sun

If David Cameron's memoirs are so poor why did a[…]

Richard Littlejohn

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-7471163[…]

Boris Johnson

^^This. All along the Tories have kept saying &quo[…]