For other types of media
:sunglasses: 37.5 % ❤ 4.2 % :thumbsup: 8.3 % :grinning: 37.5 % 🙏 8.3 % :cry: 4.2 %
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Abernathy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
O'Brien was good this morning. He's taken to riffing on a "How the fuck did we get here?" theme, linking coronavirus, the Brexit shambles, even a (little) bit of Corbyn, and institutional racism.

The reason why O'Brien is a cut above any other broadcaster (IMO) is that you can listen as he works through and articulates his own thought processes, and often seems genuinely, gobsmackingly bewildered. See Wednesday's PMQs with Johnson, on the day that the UK's daily death toll from Covid 19 was more than every other EU nation added together, claiming that he is "proud" of his government's record on dealing with the pandemic. I mean "WTF?" is just about all you can say.
oboogie liked this

By Oblomov
I heartily agree though I do wish sometimes he wouldn't interrupt his fellow interlocutor so much as I want to hear what they say, I'm familiar enough with O'Brien's opinions already.

By oboogie
I'm a fan of O'Brien, though I do agree about the interruptions which are often repetitive. Abernathy's spot on about the thought processes, listening to O'Brien's workings has often helped me to move on from 'wtf blind rage' to actually seeing what is being done in our name.

By Oblomov
Blairite centrist melt James O'Brien taking calls about racism this morning and doing the bare minimum to defend his colleague Nick Ferrari when the latter is accused by callers of being an ignorant, condescending gammon :lol:
oboogie liked this

By Bones McCoy
Oblomov wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:43 am
Blairite centrist melt James O'Brien taking calls about racism this morning and doing the bare minimum to defend his colleague Nick Ferrari when the latter is accused by callers of being an ignorant, condescending gammon :lol:
I'd say the callers are a perceptive bunch.

I like to think that O'Brien uses his interruptions with care.
Sure he does it frequently (and I've only ever encountered highlights on Youtube).
If he didn't interrupt to keep his callers on topic, you'd be listening to the dullest show on radio.
Here's Ben from Stoke:
Ben proceeds to be the 7th caller of the day to recite the entire Bingo card: all the way form "AUDI want to sell us their cars" to "Zoo animals supplied by non-EU nations".

By Oblomov
O'Brien took a call this morning which did end up frustratingly repetitive and dull. I do wish he'd let holders of differing opinions actually voice them for disassembly rather than immediately reacting to their buzzwords.

It was basically a 5 minute loop of

Caller: You push an agenda
JOB: What's my agenda?
Caller: You have a left-wing agenda?
JOB: What does left-wing mean?
Caller: It means your agenda-
JOB: WELL WHAT'S MY AGENDA?

Repeat ad nauseaum :roll:
oboogie liked this

By Abernathy
I thought that O'Brien handled him well. The guy was basically a cunt. Who phones a radio show to complain that he doesn't like it? Does he think that Nick Ferrarri, say, doesn't have "an agenda" ? O r any of the presenters on LBC ?
oboogie liked this

By Andy McDandy
People seem to treat it as a game - call up and try to "get one over on the lefty". Most odd, possibly a manifestation of online disinhibition/GIFT theory.

By oboogie
A regular feature of O'Brien's show is right-wingers complaining that he's very good at making people look stupid.
The peculiar thing is the callers' lack of preparation. If I were to ring, eg Ferrari, I would first write a list of my points and counterarguments in response to his anticipated comebacks.

By Oblomov
I agree the guy was a tosser and O'Brien handled it well when there were actually things being said, but that circular argument I outlined above is just irritating. It's futility to pose a question to someone then persistently interrupt them 3 words into their answer. He should've just hung up and moved onto another call.

By Andy McDandy
A few ears ago Viz did one of its "Who's who and what's what" features about a radio station. Half of it was devoted to taking the piss out of Chris Moyles/Evans, the other half to talk radio.

One lovely entry went along the lines of "The call screener: Most people have reasonably mainstream views about subjects and are prepared to discuss them civilly and are open to new arguments and evidence. The call screener's job is to block these people from getting on the show, and only to allow single issue obsessives, idiots, bigots and people reciting hackneyed jokes through."
Boiler, Malcolm Armsteen, Samanfur and 1 others liked this

By Kreuzberger
Ava Santina is a class act though. She knows what makes great radio and intuitively ushers the flea-bitten, old dawg in to the lion's cage. It's a joy to behold.

By Kreuzberger
What, with Aasmah Mir? Her anecdotal churn of middle-class tedium has me leaping for the off-button faster than The Archers. Stig Abell appears to have redeemed himself but I ain't running the risk.
Labour, Generally.

The 15 Labour rebels. I'm surprised Abbott, McDon[…]

The Trump Presidency

The thing is, let's say that somehow, the idiot do[…]

C**t of the day

Yes. Over flippant on my part there. I got […]

Roll Call

Still strummin', still beardy. I took a decision t[…]