•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Radio Four's Today programme - few would argue that it is not one of the most politically influential daily outlets nor that the 08:10 interview is the cherry on the cake.

How brave of them then, this morning to sacrifice that slot. Despite all the machinations of last evening and well in to the night, they chose to interview a bloke who went to the same school as another bloke who has been lifted in the Syrian border. That the interviewee didn't know the liftee was brushed to one side. That he was four year-groups ahead was also of no apparent consequence. Charges have been laid or are being discussed? Nope, not that either.

Ah, but 21-year-old Waheed Ahmed is a scary Muzzy and his father, Shakil Ahmed, is a Labour councillor in Rochdale.

Good old priorities at the BBC.

By Kreuzberger
Membership Days Posts
Well that was that. After 21 brief years, James Naughtie left the Today programme this morning, his voice faltering, the tears only a heartbeat away.

What struck me most though, was the moment John Major took to praise him and thank him for so many years' service. What a thoroughly decent man Major is.

By bluebellnutter
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Kreuzberger wrote:What a thoroughly decent man Major is.
Indeed. Which is probably why he was never going to get anywhere as leader of the Tory party.
By Andy McDandy
Even the old Etonians/Oxbridgers around him - Hurd, Heseltine and so on - had a gravitas about them that the current crop are lacking. You always got the feeling that the older generation at least studied, while the current crop just farted about because they knew they'd land a piss easy job with one of daddy's friends whatever happened.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Andy McDandy wrote:Even the old Etonians/Oxbridgers around him - Hurd, Heseltine and so on - had a gravitas about them that the current crop are lacking. You always got the feeling that the older generation at least studied, while the current crop just farted about because they knew they'd land a piss easy job with one of daddy's friends whatever happened.
Even media pundits Mellor and Portillo who were ministers in that era more or less make the same point.

By Malcolm Armsteen
There was a time when you could disagree with Tories without despising them.

But his policies were bloody awful.

By Abernathy
bluebellnutter wrote:
Kreuzberger wrote:What a thoroughly decent man Major is.
Indeed. Which is probably why he was never going to get anywhere as leader of the Tory party.
Now look, guys. When Major was PM, I used to get thoroughly sick of pointing out that the terms "thoroughly decent man" and "leader of the Conservative Party" were mutually exclusive. Don't make me do it again.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
He didn't get where he was by being E L Wisty and on domestic economics he could be more prone to free market head banging than Mrs T.

Ken Clarke's stewardship of the economy was also better than the public perception. Clarke was prepared to tell everyone to take a bit of a hit through income tax rises if they were really concerned about balancing the books. Which was a brave thing to do to Tory and floating voters who believe there is huge crock of cash to be gained from public sector waste and dole scroungers who can pay for everything.
By Andy McDandy
I seem to recall Clarke taking the view that services such as the NHS should be bare minimum outfits - you want anything special, you pay for it. He also described ambulance drivers as glorified taxi drivers. And he flogs fags to kids.

It's easy to see the Tories of old in a positive (or at least comically inept) light compared to the current mob, but in general, Abernathy's got to the nub of it.

You beat me to it, Arrer :)

Anti-Semitism and the Labour party

Yep, I was going to post that. It's standard for p[…]

Actually, forget Corbyn and Skinner. This ought to[…]

Daily Star front pages

I'm told by friends in the trade that only a fool […]