•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

By Tubby Isaacs
Membership Days Posts
Isn't as clever as he thinks.

http://www.newleftproject.org/index.php ... ra_dawkins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The dog eat dog version of evolution which now dominates the discourse has had a disastrous effect on morale, on how we see ourselves, how we see our place in nature. It has given us what I call Anthropophobia, a fear of our own humanity.

I argue that Richard Dawkins's Cardboard Darwinism is profoundly opposed to Charles Darwin's central ideas such as the one about how we are born with 'social instincts'. Dawkins repudiates this when he writes: "We are born selfish". This doctrine derives not from Darwin but from the central dogma of the Protestant Reformation – Original Sin.
Gee, go and read it.

It's not about humanity.

By D.C. Harrison
Membership Days Posts
Malcolm Armsteen wrote:Nice he might be, but this shows him as either as thick as pigshit or a liar.
He's certainly not stupid, if his previous shows are anything to go by, and I don't have him down as a liar. Perhaps someone should question him on it. Given that he give time to a total nobody like me, I get the impression he'd back up his position.

By D.C. Harrison
Membership Days Posts
Well, I couldn't say. All this kind of stuff is way, way above my pay grade. I just wondered, if he has indeed dropped a bit of a rickett, where he got his original source material from and whether he'd retract and change his stance. As I said, he struck me as a very reasonable chap, so it's a shame if he's made himself look a bit of a bell-strike on this one.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Isn't as clever as he thinks.

http://www.newleftproject.org/index.php ... ra_dawkins" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The dog eat dog version of evolution which now dominates the discourse has had a disastrous effect on morale, on how we see ourselves, how we see our place in nature. It has given us what I call Anthropophobia, a fear of our own humanity.

I argue that Richard Dawkins's Cardboard Darwinism is profoundly opposed to Charles Darwin's central ideas such as the one about how we are born with 'social instincts'. Dawkins repudiates this when he writes: "We are born selfish". This doctrine derives not from Darwin but from the central dogma of the Protestant Reformation – Original Sin.
Gee, go and read it.

It's not about humanity.
Tell me more on how Newman is misrepresenting Dawkins' work. I've never read it but I did hear Dawkins say recently he regrets the Selfish Gene title
By Agnes
Membership Days Posts
I think Dawkins regrets the "Selfish Gene" title as it can be misinterpreted so easily. IIRC (also I will phrase this badly as I am not a science person, sorry) it's because he's arguing that the key unit in evolution is the gene rather than the organism as a whole - that genes 'want' to perpetuate themselves and 'think' the animal/whatever that they're in can go hang. The idea is that the gene itself is selfish, not that there's a gene for selfishness. Some people have misinterpreted that, wilfully or not, as him saying that selfishness is an adaptive trait for humans (and by extension good).

By Bones McCoy
Membership Days Posts
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Isn't as clever as he thinks.

Gee, go and read it.

It's not about humanity.
Ahh yess, Richard Dawkins, I'm aware of his work.

In a way, that Fuze tea cover is probably a bit li[…]

Endangering Democracy

No offences took place with three of the five all[…]

Jeremy Corbyn.

And some of the unicorns have red rosettes.

Mrs A reckons that Mann is the Labour equivalent[…]