For other types of media
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
 
By Agnes
Membership Days Posts
#356415
Mind you, I'm old enough that a year ago or so, I initially know Justin Bieber was, but needing to be told he was a pop singer. I still don't think I've heard any of his songs, nor would I recognise him from a pic unless it was captioned. I mean, I've seen pictures of him, but within minutes I've erased it from my mind.
How old are you? Because I'm just the same, and I'm 30.
 
By Daley Mayle
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#356419
Agnes wrote:
Mind you, I'm old enough that a year ago or so, I initially know Justin Bieber was, but needing to be told he was a pop singer. I still don't think I've heard any of his songs, nor would I recognise him from a pic unless it was captioned. I mean, I've seen pictures of him, but within minutes I've erased it from my mind.
How old are you? Because I'm just the same, and I'm 30.
Pfft. I'm 60 this year and I'm a Belieber.
By shyamz
Membership Days Posts
#356444
Andy McDandy wrote:I think Red's referring to Stanhope's piece on Weekly Wipe, where he bemoaned the rather poor levels of 'hellraising' Bieber had gotten up to, such as pissing in a bucket. And how this counted for being the wild man of rock and roll these days. What would Led Zeppelin make of it all, he wondered.

He also pointed out that we may be approaching a point where when we say 'kids, eh?', unlike previous generations where we were appalled by the latest excesses of the youth, we nowadays say it in exasperation at their conformity and squareness.

That last point has been made by other comedians, notably Mark Steel, who recalled dancing round the house singing along to Rage Against the Machine, only to be told to turn it down by his teenage son, because he couldn't hear himself think.
In other words, he's saying the complete opposite of what everyone else is saying just because. And saying it in a loud voice. There's a suprise. (I have since watched the Weekly Wipe episode where he mentions it).
The problem most people have with his current arrest is that he could have killed someone. Whatever stars get up to alone or with their mates is fine - have a blast. You are unlikely to kill someone throwing a TV into a swimming pool.

But drink driving (as pointed out online by various people who have lost someone, inclding people in his fan demographic) can kill people. The wanna-be Hicks successor Stanhope, is ignoring his DUI arrest and focusing instead on the house egging because it is easier to make a point about in Bieber's favour (which no one else is doing).

I find it very difficult to believe that his oppinions are really what he thinks, I think he says whatever gets him through the day and will contribute to his angry outspoken image.

Bieber went right back out and did the same thing again showing just how untouchable he thinks he is - because he is a rich kid who can get away with doing things that a poor kid would probably have never been granted bail over. He gets away with behaviour that could have cost a person their life, because he is famous.

Just because no one did die and there are pretty big things going on elsewhere in the world (both arguments put forwad by many of his teenage fans), doesn't mean he isn't an arsehole who shouldn't be punished for breaking a law that exists for a reason (regardless of who he is).
 
By Samanfur
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#356477
NSA interview vs. Bieber developments. I can only imagine what's going through the interviewer's mind as she gets the shouting down her earpiece:

[youtube]GH68bSJXGE8[/youtube]
He'll probably get a strongly worded letter and an apology from the judge for the inconvenience - "affluenza" is officially a valid defence for killing people now, after all.
 
By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
#356507
The level of hatred towards him is still ridiculous. He's done a fucking stupid thing and will be punished for it. The predictable straw man argument about him being famous and being above the law, or thinking he is, is redundant. He'll get punished and join the statistics of DUI's regardless of who is he. He's a teenager who's worth about 150 million, has people falling over themselves to praise and adore him and is so under the spotlight he can't take a piss without it being front page news yet the most outrageous thing he's done in the eyes of the law is get arrested for a DUI.

When it comes down to it he's acting like a teenager, and a bloody tame one at that considering the position he's in, or even for many teenagers. Of course, the fact he's done far more for charity and general good deeds for his fans than your average person could ever dream of gets skimmed over but it doesn't make good tabloid fodder.

I have no allegiance towards this kid, and would never excuse drink driving, but the wall to wall coverage and genuinely sickening venom being spat at him makes me feel even stronger about the pathetic behaviour of so called adults behind it. Especially as a lot of them don't think twice about driving back from the local after a few pints and being hassled by the police over it is merely police state oppression from jobs worths who should be out catching real criminals. It's faux outrage of the highest order in a lot of cases and the sheer hatred towards him says so much more about the people spewing it, especially when it gets to the point of wanting him physically hurt.

Disagree all you want about his so called "meltdown" but if you shoved 150 million into a kids hand and made him into a superstar almost overnight you'd be fucking lucky to come back and say the worst he's done is get pulled over for drunk driving.
 
By D.C. Harrison
Membership Days Posts
#356543
Agnes wrote:How old are you? Because I'm just the same, and I'm 30.
I'm 32, but I've never really followed contemporary pop.

I only just realised he was nicked for drink-driving from reading this thread! Shows how much attention I pay to the news. I thought he'd been caught smoking weed or something equally harmless.
By shyamz
Membership Days Posts
#356550
Re. STM, the level of coverage is a seperate issue (I don't in any way disagree that it is overkill, like so much media coverage of celebity activity is). The issue is that he gets away with shit other people wouldn't - people of any age (would a manager let a random twenty year old stranger piss in a bucket his cleaning staff have to use? Of course not, but the Beebs is special of course).

The amount of cash he is handed doesn't absolve him of that - a mere one million would be a fuck-tonne to most teenagers so the idea that there is a top limit at which any kid will find it impossible not to get corrupted is false.

There are people who found fame early and handled it better; Anna Paquin, Mayim Bialik, Raven Symone, the Harry Potter leads, Madeon and so on.

Does he have to kill someone before the old people decide he really is an out of controll teen like they were? Perhaps it is a side effect of society's obsession with clinging on to its youth. No one wants to admit they aren't teenagers any more, and so are comparing the behaviour of their own youth with that of kids today - and are deciding they were so much more crazy and dangerous than kids now because it makes them feel more young. It's like a big global episode of Ab Fab is playing itself out where everyone over the age of thirty has decided they are Edina and the silly think-they-are-clever kids are in fact a bunch of boring Saffys - I'm still young, I'm still fun, kids today don't really know how to have fun like we used to - come on darling don't you want to hang out at the mall with mummy, let's have a girly day I need to go shopping!..what do you mean you'd rather hang out with your friends?!

I'm not in any way wishing physical harm to befall him. I just think an arsehole is an arsehole, and if you break the law, then you've broken the law and fame or money should have no bearing on how the law deals with you.

His charity work? Don't make me laugh - in ths very forum we have mentioned Jim Davidson's charity work and Sport Or Troops crowing, yet no one here as far as I can remember thinks that in any way makes up for him talking about gay people or ethnic minorities in the way he does.

That is one of my biggest concerns, when charity becomes a magic wand that makes all a person's behaviour -even the awful stuff- invisible. That just makes a mockery of all the normal people who do good work for charities and don't expect praise for it or act like dicks.

I don't think he is having a meltdown - I just think he's a dick, and I don't know when people started tryng to come up with reasons to excuse people's general dickishness.
 
By D.C. Harrison
Membership Days Posts
#356553
I suppose the cynic in me is counting down to the tearful "forgive me" breakdown on Oprah (or suchlike), followed by next album in which he presents a new wholesome image, possible "finding God" etc
 
By AOB
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#356675
He's so insignificant he's not worth getting wound up about. Does he have even one famous song? Normally people who suddenly appear in the public eye do it as the result of a hit song. He just appeared- famous for nothing. He'll be out of the public eye in 5 years unless I have it wrong and he has tremendous songwriting talent and by his mid 20s will have penned his A Day In The Life or Life On Mars or Billie Jean or Paint It Black, as their writers did by that age.
 
By MisterMuncher
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
#356677
shyamz wrote:
Andy McDandy wrote:I think Red's referring to Stanhope's piece on Weekly Wipe, where he bemoaned the rather poor levels of 'hellraising' Bieber had gotten up to, such as pissing in a bucket. And how this counted for being the wild man of rock and roll these days. What would Led Zeppelin make of it all, he wondered.

He also pointed out that we may be approaching a point where when we say 'kids, eh?', unlike previous generations where we were appalled by the latest excesses of the youth, we nowadays say it in exasperation at their conformity and squareness.

That last point has been made by other comedians, notably Mark Steel, who recalled dancing round the house singing along to Rage Against the Machine, only to be told to turn it down by his teenage son, because he couldn't hear himself think.
In other words, he's saying the complete opposite of what everyone else is saying just because. And saying it in a loud voice. There's a suprise. (I have since watched the Weekly Wipe episode where he mentions it).
The problem most people have with his current arrest is that he could have killed someone. Whatever stars get up to alone or with their mates is fine - have a blast. You are unlikely to kill someone throwing a TV into a swimming pool.

But drink driving (as pointed out online by various people who have lost someone, inclding people in his fan demographic) can kill people. The wanna-be Hicks successor Stanhope, is ignoring his DUI arrest and focusing instead on the house egging because it is easier to make a point about in Bieber's favour (which no one else is doing).

I find it very difficult to believe that his oppinions are really what he thinks, I think he says whatever gets him through the day and will contribute to his angry outspoken image.

Bieber went right back out and did the same thing again showing just how untouchable he thinks he is - because he is a rich kid who can get away with doing things that a poor kid would probably have never been granted bail over. He gets away with behaviour that could have cost a person their life, because he is famous.

Just because no one did die and there are pretty big things going on elsewhere in the world (both arguments put forwad by many of his teenage fans), doesn't mean he isn't an arsehole who shouldn't be punished for breaking a law that exists for a reason (regardless of who he is).
To be scrupulously fair to Stanhope, the recent DUI arrest occurred after filming of the episode, as Brooker himself pointed out on the Twitters. You can't fairly berate the man for ignoring events that happened in the future.
By shyamz
Membership Days Posts
#356678
D.C. Harrison wrote:I suppose the cynic in me is counting down to the tearful "forgive me" breakdown on Oprah (or suchlike), followed by next album in which he presents a new wholesome image, possible "finding God" etc
Not so sure the Oprah idea will happen - it backfired on Lance Armstrong.
Meanwhile in America

I think America is big enough to survive Trump but[…]

Richard Littlejohn

My impoverished classmate seems to have left beh[…]

The Sun

https://i.postimg.cc/2SQfhbZH/image.jpg

Daily Express headline today

All shits. Let's unite the country!