•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
By new puritan
Membership Days Posts
This is going to be good. By 'good', I do of course mean 'shite'.
The cost of treating NHS patients will be examined in a new Channel 4 interactive documentary that the broadcaster says gives viewers the chance to "decide for themselves who should receive the treatment".
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/a ... -nhs-costs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By Safe_Timber_Man
Membership Days Posts
The first episode of The State was shown last night.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-state

The first episode consisted of young British Muslims heading to Syria to join ISIS. 3 more episodes to follow but even in the first episode it's already strongly hinting that the new recruits were strongly misled and some pretty horrible shit is going to follow.

Somehow, and I really don't understand how, The Mail and, judging by online reaction, many right wingers are going with the narrative that it's "glorifying joining ISIS". I don't know how the fuck they came to that conclusion. It was brilliantly done and really bloody harrowing, with far worse to come.

Fury as Channel 4 refuses to axe controversial drama glorifying ISIS days after the Barcelona attack
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... State.html

Pure poison... it's like a Nazi recruiting film from the 1930s: CHRISTOPHER STEVENS reviews The State
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... State.html

Aslan, Narnia, 12 hours ago
Refused to watch it out of respect to the victims of their atrocities. Shame on Channel 4 for showing this (especially so soon after Barcelona and Finland attacks)
+2286 -121
keano, London, United Kingdom, 11 hours ago
The left are no longer content with making apologies for ISIS, now they want to manage their propaganda as well it would seem...
+1950 -110

I'm at a loss as to how they managed to take away that it was "glorifying ISIS".
By Andy McDandy
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Same as when Chris Morris made Four Lions. Never mind that the film depicted thee wannabe terrorists as misguided at best, and utterly incompetent (and made some very pointed jabs at non-terrorist Muslims having attitudes at odds with modern society). The fact that they weren't presented as blood-smeared ogres meant that in the eyes of some it was propaganda for Al Q'aida.

By bluebellnutter
Safe_Timber_Man wrote:Somehow, and I really don't understand how, The Mail and, judging by online reaction, many right wingers are going with the narrative that it's "glorifying joining ISIS". I don't know how the fuck they came to that conclusion. It was brilliantly done and really bloody harrowing, with far worse to come.
What on Earth made you think they'd watched it to make a judgement?
By Andy McDandy
It's been mentioned before that either Stewart Lee or Dara O'Briain made a similar point. When asked by a heckler/critic why they didn't do stuff about Islam, they replied that they wouldn't really know where to start, and wouldn't know what funny stuff they could say. They concluded that what the heckler/critic really wanted was for them to just insult Muslims on stage.

By sanityattack
Membership Days
Andy McDandy wrote:It's been mentioned before that either Stewart Lee or Dara O'Briain made a similar point. When asked by a heckler/critic why they didn't do stuff about Islam, they replied that they wouldn't really know where to start, and wouldn't know what funny stuff they could say. They concluded that what the heckler/critic really wanted was for them to just insult Muslims on stage.

By The Weeping Angel
Membership Days Posts
BREAKING: The world's problems will not be solved by arguing with strangers on Twitter. We'll update you when we have more on this story.
They will however be solved by watching Channel 4.
By mr angry manchester
Membership Days Posts
I've just got round to watching The State which I recorded and it does anything but glorify Isis, if anything it shows them to be even more insane than I already thought they were. It was a very well written, well acted piece and very powerful.

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
The first episode invited of the State us to share in the initial euphoria the recruits felt with their new adventure. Anyone with half a brain could see where this was going and was not going to be 'pro ISIS propaganda' as the Mail spent two pages arguing. The din died down pretty quickly as it was a shockingly grim drama. A superb piece of work.
Brexit Fuckwit Thread

Oh and why the fuck has no journalist covered t[…]

Europe? And the Future of Britain in Europe

Very good point re Brexit vox pops. https://twitt[…]

Fawning over the royal family

We know William and Harry are now despised but Phi[…]

Paul Thomas Redux

Could be worserer. According to Mac he had to prov[…]