For other types of media
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Yes, but in each case, the authorities are denying the claims of the aggrieved punter. In the eyes of many, that's a reverse ferret.

But as said, that's the mentality you're dealing with. Lead them past pubs, cars and houses festooned with England flags. Point out the ones flying from town halls, and they'll still claim that flag-waving is banned, because of what they read in the paper, or what some bloke in the pub (which was probably covered in flags but hey) told them.
Yeah but you tell people that's about personal choice and they'll laugh in your face.

Might have something to do with pub closures too.
Patriotic... or just plain tacky? Pictures of some of the thousands of houses across England that are draped in the St George's Cross for the World Cup

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z34WUxpihc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not entirely sure this belongs here, as, to its credit, the Mail hasn't claimed any flags have been banned. The readers on the other hand have other ideas:
British patriot, Huddersfield, United Kingdom
It's a shame we can't do this on st. George' day isn't it!!!
UKIP and proud, UKIP land, United Kingdom
We were oppressed under the Blair regime, and not allowed to show the flag, Cameron is no better, it's the peoples army who are taking it in to their own hand, and I think all these flags, are a part of a fight against that oppression. So no DM it's not tacky, it makes me very proud,
Steve M, SE London, United Kingdom
Careful people. How long before killjoy councils go round ordering all "English" flags to taken down because it causes offence? Don't be surprised !!
bren, england, United Kingdom
Suprised they hsve not been tolf to take them all down so it does not offend anyone ! Nice to see some patriotism though
Dazza, Middlesex, United Kingdom
Now watch the pathetic council's across the UK make them take the flags down due to a pathetic excuse of health and safety, but know the real reason for offending others. Mark my words
Deano-, anywhere but here, United Kingdom
LET'S HOPE IT REALLY OFFENDS THE YOU KNOW WHO '--- LOVE IT
All seeing Eye, London
Its a shame it takes a World Cup for it to be 'acceptable' for England to be patriotic. Sure there will be someone out there who will be outraged, but still its good to see the St George's flag being paraded with pride! If nothing else its one in the eye for anti-British left wing in this country and also a big two fingers up to the EU who hates the very idea of national identify! Come on England!
By mojojojo
Membership Days Posts
Did you know that next year there'll be no England team anyway? From 2015 there'll be no European national sides, just EUnited, and they won't pick English players in case the mosques don't like it. And we'll have to fly the flags by law then - a blue flag with a ring of stars containing a cresent moon crushing a weeping bulldog.

DARE YOU TO POST THIS.

By daveinbrum
Membership Days Membership Days Posts
Messianic Trees wrote:Patriotic... or just plain tacky? Pictures of some of the thousands of houses across England that are draped in the St George's Cross for the World Cup

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z34WUxpihc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not entirely sure this belongs here, as, to its credit, the Mail hasn't claimed any flags have been banned. The readers on the other hand have other ideas:
British patriot, Huddersfield, United Kingdom
It's a shame we can't do this on st. George' day isn't it!!!
UKIP and proud, UKIP land, United Kingdom
We were oppressed under the Blair regime, and not allowed to show the flag, Cameron is no better, it's the peoples army who are taking it in to their own hand, and I think all these flags, are a part of a fight against that oppression. So no DM it's not tacky, it makes me very proud,
Steve M, SE London, United Kingdom
Careful people. How long before killjoy councils go round ordering all "English" flags to taken down because it causes offence? Don't be surprised !!
bren, england, United Kingdom
Suprised they hsve not been tolf to take them all down so it does not offend anyone ! Nice to see some patriotism though
Dazza, Middlesex, United Kingdom
Now watch the pathetic council's across the UK make them take the flags down due to a pathetic excuse of health and safety, but know the real reason for offending others. Mark my words
Deano-, anywhere but here, United Kingdom
LET'S HOPE IT REALLY OFFENDS THE YOU KNOW WHO '--- LOVE IT
All seeing Eye, London
Its a shame it takes a World Cup for it to be 'acceptable' for England to be patriotic. Sure there will be someone out there who will be outraged, but still its good to see the St George's flag being paraded with pride! If nothing else its one in the eye for anti-British left wing in this country and also a big two fingers up to the EU who hates the very idea of national identify! Come on England!
Comments like that really depress me. Fortunately I don't think any of my friends hold such views but, if I were to encounter them, I don't know how you'd argue against them. If, despite all evidence to the contrary, people have closed their minds to reason, what can you say?

It reminds me of a woman I saw on TV who said she voted UKIP because "we're no longer allowed to celebrate things like Christmas" despite the fact that Christmas clearly is celebrated every year and even the Mail (belatedly, after the damage had been done), admitted the story about that happening in Birmingham wasn't true.
They believe it because it reinforces their world view. They believe that political correctness and metropolitan liberals are trying to take away all that is dear and turning Britain into a place that is different from their childhoods.

By davidjay
Andy McDandy wrote:Yeah but you tell people that's about personal choice and they'll laugh in your face.

Might have something to do with pub closures too.
No. If you have an England flag in the window they give your house to a Bulgarian.

By daveinbrum
Here's a proper shit-stirring effort from "news" agency SWNS. Such organisations are often the source of the worst tabloid stories and they've squeezed in as many dog whistles as possible to try and get it picked up. It's telling that hardly any of the individuals in the story are named. It's almost as if it was all made up... :x

http://swns.com/news/builders-banned-fr ... lims-2648/

By youngian
Membership Days Posts
daveinbrum wrote:Here's a proper shit-stirring effort from "news" agency SWNS. Such organisations are often the source of the worst tabloid stories and they've squeezed in as many dog whistles as possible to try and get it picked up. It's telling that hardly any of the individuals in the story are named. It's almost as if it was all made up... :x

http://swns.com/news/builders-banned-fr ... lims-2648/
Oh that's good going, sounds like its written by Stewart Lee's gran; "That Red Robbo, Stu, he wants to makes us all wear hard hats in case we offend Muslims."
Theresa May

John Crace, in The Guardian As so often, when […]

Jeremy Corbyn.

In the words of John Crace in The Guardian , &quo[…]

I suspect ‘All equally’ means haven&rs[…]

Brexit Fuckwit Thread

A shame Germany have their own ideologically biase[…]